IGNORED

Season 20 Round 12 - Ninja Gaiden III

asponge

I feel like we need a more polished title this round.  This is the first time Ninja Gaiden III has appeared in the HSC.

593544976_NinjaGaiden3Cartridge.png.1119537dbe7ea89ba9efd09daf400f82.png 1469863986_NinjaGaiden3Screenshot.png.41ece4ce0010db056cfb1b63de45670a.png

Game Rules:

No Continues
1-Ups may only be collected once

Ninja Gaiden 3 Manual.pdf

Score Post Deadline: Sunday June 19 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 6/16:

Razzie.P     947,300
mbd39        722,800
RuySan       183,000
asponge      120,500
fakecortex   106,200
Frozone212    75,200
wongojack     65,500

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.737bcdf0d76b24c1978f05cea02f71a3.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 1

Curious, why pick a hard game? Isn't the contest supposed to be fair to everyone? No game genie means that no one is going to even be able to get past level 2. I can't get past it.

Maybe drop this one? What about Shatterhand or Mega Man 2 instead?

The person that picked this is a dick, plain and simple

I've beat this game before with only one death so it's possible. I'm really rusty though. I made it to level 3 so far.

Shatterhand is hard too, maybe not as hard as this. I don't think Mega Man 2 even keeps score so doesn't make much sense  as a contest game.

Once per level or once period?

Also, if the game has Knockback damage (I.E castlevania), can we input a code to remove it? Because otherwise the game is...annoying

(I know you say no cheats but please make an exception for the NES games)

Edited by Frozone212

3 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Curious, why pick a hard game? 

Because mixing it up a bit is kinda nice and its not always about the difficulty.  Only pick super easy stuff and it turns into "how long do I wanna keep looping this one before I quit?"

Isn't the contest supposed to be fair to everyone? No game genie means that no one is going to even be able to get past level 2. I can't get past it.

If we're all playing the same game with the same rules, then it's fair.   

With all due respect, looking through the treads for every single round (except for one, it seems, and that was because it was a game you picked) you've bitched, you've complained, you've whined, you've threatened "do it my way or I don't play!"   Chill the eff out.  If you're not having fun, I saw that it was already mentioned once that nobody's forcing you to play along.  We're all not going to love the titles picked every single time, but crap like this --

The person that picked this is a dick, plain and simple

is really not necessary and shows complete disrespect for folks like asponge who are willing to take the time to put these together and keep them organized.  

If you guys are best of friends and that's just some "good ol' boy" best friend type of ribbing or inside joke or something, then my apologies for being a douche and reading it wrong.  Otherwise, chill already and try to show a bit of courtesy.

• Thanks 5

Now that I've possibly made myself look like an ass  ?  I'm looking forward to a reason to finally beat this one.   I had part 1 and 2 pretty much mastered back in the 80s/90s, but never owned this one.  I've only played it on trilogy on SNES, so looking forward to checking it out this week.

13 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Now that I've possibly made myself look like an ass  ?  I'm looking forward to a reason to finally beat this one.   I had part 1 and 2 pretty much mastered back in the 80s/90s, but never owned this one.  I've only played it on trilogy on SNES, so looking forward to checking it out this week.

I'll sometimes just skip games I know are too hard for me and/or I don't enjoy, and wait for the ones that I do like. I didn't play RC Pro-Am. No big deal.

25 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

If you guys are best of friends and that's just some "good ol' boy" best friend type of ribbing or inside joke or something

We're not, and it's not.  I'm choosing not to engage.  I appreciate your response.

21 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Now that I've possibly made myself look like an ass

You haven't.  You're good.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

Once per level or once period?

Also, if the game has Knockback damage (I.E castlevania), can we input a code to remove it? Because otherwise the game is...annoying

(I know you say no cheats but please make an exception for the NES games)

Once per level.

The knockback in Ninja Gaiden 3 actually isn't as severe as the first two games. In Ninja Gaiden 2 you're sent flying after touching an enemy. In this game sometimes you only know you got hit because your sprite flickers.

Edited by mbd39

10 hours ago, asponge said:

Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Maybe there should be a rule that we can only collect extra lives once. Otherwise 1up loops are too easy to abuse in this one.

Isn't this already covered in the standard high score rules?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Isn't this already covered in the standard high score rules?

Yes, but it's probably best to have a rule anyway. Partially just as a reminder of that particular rule.

Also this is a really hard game and there are extra lives that come back every time you die. Even when not intentionally taking advantage of a 1up loop, it's possible to keep dying on a difficult level over and over and keep grabbing the 1up for another chance, resulting in an inflated score without actually progressing.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

Now I get the difficulty complaints. Level 1 is easy enough, but in the second level the checkpoints are quite unfair.

Technically this might be the most impressive NES game i've ever played. On the beginning on second level there are about 4 levels of parallax. It's still simple parallax, not something progressive, but very impressive nonetheless. 

Ninja Gaiden III - The Ancient Ship of Doom-220606-125042.png

• Like 2

My score benefited from dying a lot because of being rusty.The ground when fighting the stage 6 boss is like quicksand and you need to jump onto a wall after beating him or you sink too far and die.

Stage 6 also has ice physics. That's always fun.

5KSllOE.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I'll sometimes just skip games I know are too hard for me and/or I don't enjoy, and wait for the ones that I do like. I didn't play RC Pro-Am. No big deal.

Understandable.  Especially with they're physically painful, like you mentioned Xevious being rough on the hands.   I like to try to put something on the board even if it's not game I'm in tune with, but sadly I missed the first several rounds this season because of work (1st) then eye issues/surgery (2nd)

Some of these games are hard by nature, but playing them when you can't see is a whole 'nother difficulty level  ?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Understandable.  Especially with they're physically painful, like you mentioned Xevious being rough on the hands.   I like to try to put something on the board even if it's not game I'm in tune with, but sadly I missed the first several rounds this season because of work (1st) then eye issues/surgery (2nd)

Some of these games are hard by nature, but playing them when you can't see is a whole 'nother difficulty level  ?

It's great to have you back. I expect you to put up a nice NG3 score. ?

Rad Racer is one of the most physically painful games that I've played. Frequently having to hold up for turbo is agonizing on the thumb after awhile. It's a great game though.

• Like 1