IGNORED

TI99/4a issue

8bitbricks

I have a ti99/4a that gives a black screen, but does beep. There was also a damaged component that broke when I removed it that I believe is c602 on the schematic, but I don’t know what to replace it with. How would I fix this?

4620C7D7-08E2-450C-BB41-8EE7F97223C1.jpeg

E9CE07B7-3BB3-45A7-BBC2-2C690B7DD4A9.jpeg

Edited by 8bitbricks

If the damaged component is the black one, right of center, in between the two blue wires, I *believe* it's a 1uF tantalum capacitor.

Just to double-check: is the beep on your system a short tone, or one that continues as long as the system is turned on? If it's a short tone, check that your video cable is good, then try resoldering all the pins of the video connector on the motherboard. If you still don't have any video afterwards, it's likely that the VDP has failed.

Double-checked my TI's board and yes, the damaged part on yours is a 1uF 25V tantalum capacitor. A suitable replacement can be found here on Mouser, and it appears that the same part can be found here on eBay too (not affiliated with seller). Note that this capacitor is polarized, so the rounded-off/tapered side needs to face the TIM9904 chip.

• Like 2