IGNORED

Drive Emulators

Larry

Disk Drive Emulators  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which Drive Emulator Do You Prefer?

• SIO2PC (Includes APE, RespeQt, etc.)
    • SIO2SD
    • SDrive (All variants)
    • FujiNet
    • Other (Please explain in a post)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I started with my homemade SIO2PC under MS-Dos, and never really liked it much.  Then APE for Dos came out, and I liked it better. Then APE for Windows, and I was really hooked!  I love the GUI, drag-and-drop, and printer features.  I have just about all the rest of emulators, but have never liked them as much as APE.  The next best is SIO2SD, IMO.

I considered the AVGCART - but can you write (add new files) to an existing ATR image using the Atari?  And similarly, delete files, update, LOAD/SAVE, etc.?  I didn't think you could, but perhaps I'm wrong.  I was only aware of being able to load ATR images. I have one, but still have not made an SIO connection cable.  Edit: After reading some of these replies, I need to order one of those cables to explore the AVGCART further -- DONE!

31 minutes ago, Larry said:

I considered the AVGCART - but can you write (add new files) to an existing ATR image using the Atari?  And similarly, delete files, update, LOAD/SAVE, etc.?  I didn't think you could, but perhaps I'm wrong.  I was only aware of being able to load ATR images. I have one, but still have not made an SIO connection cable.

I believe it can do all that with the sio cable 

I'm completely split between FujiNet,  FujiNet-PC cable and software, AVGCart, and FujiNet-PC cable used as SIO2PC with SIO2BSD software.   I use them all.

However I don't think I choose to use one specifically because of the disk emulation ability.   It's whichever one is handy at the time.   If one is plugged into the wrong A8 (I only have an 800XL and an 800 setup) then I pick another.

I probably use actual disk emulation the most with the physical FujiNet.  However, AVGCart is my daily driver.   It basically does everything I wish these days.

I used a barebones SDrive for 10+ years but it died and I never attempted to rebuild it.   I crudely assembled an SDrive-MAX but because I failed to make a case for all the tossing around pretty much did it in..

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

I have an Sdrive Nuxx, sio2pc, and fujinet. Fujinet is now my go to. I don't like messing with cables to my pc or moving a laptop/tablet near the atari. The Nuxx is probably the most dependable, but just isn't as handy to load with files as the fujinet. I mean I just d/l a file on my main pc, put it in the correct folder and there it is on my atari wirelessly. Same with saving programs, printing or even getting files from other peoples servers.

I started with an SIO2USB, then found the SDRIVE, followed by SIO2SD and recently acquired a Fujinet.  I have to say my favorite is the SIO2SD.  The Fujinet has the potential to leap ahead, but the disk/file loading interface has to be improved.  The main gripe I have with the Fujinet is once you get into the second or third subdirectory, you can't see the actual filename as its truncated.  The SIO2SD is superior to me for drive setup and ease of use.  A big plus is the ability to manually change the ATR using the LCD even after the machine has booted.  I really like seeing the whole filename with minimal truncation since it only displays the filename without the path.  It's super reliable and plays well with other hardware.  Fix the Fujinet interface and I'll rethink it. 

AVG with SIO lead work 100% for me but if restrained to the list, SD-MAX, both devices do all I need from a disk drive and both support Hi Speed SIO which is a nice bonus..

I have no real knowledge of other system although I do own 2 sd2USB leads, but because they need to have drivers and linked to a PC became awkward to keep using.

3 hours ago, mistapaul said:

Side 3

I don't own a Side 3.  That said, can a Side 3 perform the SIO disk operations that are mentioned above -- basically R/W to an ATR image that represents a specific drive?  Likewise, can you access other images at the same time -- say to copy files from one image on the cartridge to another image on the cartridge as you could with a real disk drive? 

A frequent complaint about SIO2PC is that the Atari is "tethered" to the PC.  A valid criticism, but in my use, a 23" PC monitor is also my Atari display device.  I use a video capture/upscaler to display my Atari screen in a resizable window.  The display is clear and easy on the eyes, but not as clear as say a Sophia attached to an HDMI input.  Here's a picture of my PC screen with the display from a stock 130XE Atari in use along with APE and my ATR image folder.

My Atari display with APE and Image folder.jpg

• Like 3