IGNORED

eBay 1200. Who does this? Makes me cringe.

ACML

Saw this one on eBay today.  Who uses a sharpie to deface a piece of hardware?  I'd be pretty upset if when I picked up my car at the service department that some genius writes "oil changed, brakes look good, but needed to add coolant" in sharpie on my hood.  Who does this?  Really?  Two words buddy, "Post-it Notes"!  Learn it, live it, love it.

image.thumb.png.9b87a64a1691a292be9603cc6a4d3b7b.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, cwilbar said:

Using high % IPA and a magic eraser (carefully so as not to remove texture) works wonders.... but, yeah, this a bit crazy to do this.

Maybe they used white board markers though and not sharpie ?

I hope its white board maker.

Heck, it is still a PITA to clean up, but even a grease pencil like crappy thrift stores use would have been better.

10 hours ago, ACML said:

Saw this one on eBay today.  Who uses a sharpie to deface a piece of hardware?  I'd be pretty upset if when I picked up my car at the service department that some genius writes "oil changed, brakes look good, but needed to add coolant" in sharpie on my hood.  Who does this?  Really?  Two words buddy, "Post-it Notes"!  Learn it, live it, love it.

image.thumb.png.9b87a64a1691a292be9603cc6a4d3b7b.png

It's pretty common if you have no emotional attachment to a machine. I fix CNC machinery and write notes on stuff all the time...usually I'm in the middle of something and don't want to get up/etc. If someone complains you can just spray a little Brakleen on a towel and it will wipe off in seconds.

brake.thumb.jpg.e4c8c111e745800e74c1452a566d1dd8.jpg

Edited by Crazy Climber
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

It's pretty common if you have no emotional attachment to a machine. I fix CNC machinery and write notes on stuff all the time...usually I'm in the middle of something and don't want to get up/etc. If someone complains you can just spray a little Brakleen on a towel and it will wipe off in seconds.

brake.thumb.jpg.e4c8c111e745800e74c1452a566d1dd8.jpg

Won't that dissolve the plastic?

6 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

Won't that dissolve the plastic?

I suppose it could...it's pretty strong stuff!

I  put a little bit on a shop towel first, then use the towel to rub it off. So far no damages to the plastic, but then again if you looked really close maybe there was? Nothing horribly obvious though. I usually wipe it again with regular cleaner immediately afterwards since the brakleen has a strong smell to it. I would guess that also helps with potential damage since letting it sit on there would probably not be good.  Most hardware seems to have a pretty tough plastic for it's exterior though. I imagine it would eat right through a softer plastic...I definitely would not use it on anything rubber haha

I don't use it specifically for that purpose though, we use it (brakleen) at the shop as a degreaser (and it works great!) The marker removal is mainly just a convenience thing, if someone complains that I wrote a bunch of lines to remember how something went together/etc I just grab a can of brakleen and wipe it off. I'm sure there is a superior product, maybe something alcohol based/etc..

ABFB17D8-3CD0-4F23-87C6-F868B6169B80.thumb.jpeg.2652930e414552c9ba65a28b4f29cc87.jpeg

This stuff works real well and is pretty safe on plastics and labels - just don't rub too hard, let the product do its thing. Have to be ultra conservative in using Brakleen, as it definitely eats away/melts plastics if you're not careful. Don't ask how I know this. ? ?

• Like 2

I'd deffo NOT use brake cleaner, that stuff is lethal..

IPA will get most of it off easily BUT if it gets in the grain or the surface has been roughed up, then it will leave a light stain..

If a sharpie, then it was a BAD idea..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tillek said:

Eh.... Dry Erase markers are only "dry erase" or "wet erase" on the proper surfaces.

On other surfaces it may as well be a sharpie, especially if left a few days.

Some of my co-workers found that out the hard/expensive way.

I've had decent luck dealing with white board marker.  The best 'solvent' for white board marker..... is white board marker.  Cover it with new marker, then immediately start cleaning with a decent cleaner/IPA/etc (anything that won't harm the plastic).  I haven't had to resort to that much, but it does work.

But, it would have been much better to use a tag, sticky, etc..... than do that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

If nothing else, that 1200XL is probably a really good deal.  Free shipping, too.  That's worth at least $30.  If I had a need for it, I'd snag it.  The marker will clean off and it's probably pretty easy to fix.

$249.99 a good deal.... guess that is why I don't have more 1200XLs in my Atari collection or repair pile ?

I don't know if this will help because the surface is more porous, but I'll throw this out...it might work.

When I was a teacher, we had some teachers that would accidentally write on a whiteboard with permanent marker, instead of dry erase.  The trick to remove it was to write over the permanent marker with a dry erase marker, then simply erase it.  Worked like a charm every time!

It's worth a shot, before using chemicals on it.

• Like 1

Bit late to the party here. I think it's ok to write these things perhaps internally (on the inner metal shield perhaps), and I get someone writing something quickly on some industrial machine on the job...... but on the actual case of a computer, especially a vintage one!!! Really!?!

I think this visually conveys my personal take on such a act  (:D):

image.png.89a41f58467fa16369190ed6dde84a4c.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 6/10/2022 at 2:59 PM, reifsnyderb said:

lol  Well, if you compare it to what some 1200XLs have been selling at....

The current prices have had me thinking over selling one of my two extra 1200XL's, and use the cash to totally upgrade the other extra if I sell one, or put the $ toward something else hobby related if I sold both, but I think I'll keep at least one back-up to my custom 1200XL.

But the prices will most likely only go up as many of these vintage computers and consoles are nearly antiques and due to the second law of thermodynamics. Becoming rarer and rarer and when they are rare due to a short commercial life cycle and production runs, this value increases exponentially. The failed Atari Jaguar is another example of this...another console in my collection that I've thought of selling from time to time, but what stops me is not being able to afford to buy them back should I change my mind down the road...