IGNORED

The perfect Intellivision controller would look like this:

DDbbkk

This controller shape and layout, move the 1-9 to the middle and add Clear, 0, and Enter to the bottom as a new row and remove the rest of the buttons.
ABXY would be 4 action buttons

NDK10.thumb.JPG.b4467e76e0ec4d9ef05cdd9e10fee096.JPG

Add another set of 4 action buttons as shoulder buttons like on this PlayStation Dual Shock (you could make them all the same smaller sized 1 button, and I'd be okay with that):

psx-shoulder.thumb.jpg.62420a7e71ec5fac074abcf2542cd3b5.jpg

Change the d-pad to a disc the shape and size of a Sega Genesis 6-button controller.

genesis-dpad.thumb.jpg.9b746385cf78c6f9ca008c063c456a9e.jpg

If possible, make it so you can use the disc and number keys at the same time using the same controller, instead of a dual wield (not a deal breaker if it can't be done).

There is this one:

A new controller is coming soon! - Intellivision / Aquarius - AtariAge Forums

And I am slowly working on this conversion kit:

IntelliStick - Development Thread - Intellivision / Aquarius - AtariAge Forums

8 hours ago, DDbbkk said:

Change the d-pad to a disc the shape and size of a Sega Genesis 6-button controller.

genesis-dpad.thumb.jpg.9b746385cf78c6f9ca008c063c456a9e.jpg

changing the dpad into a disc shape doesn't gain you anything.  It will still be 8 directions instead of the needed (desired) 16 directions of the original controller.

There may be a surprise in october about something like this...but you didn't hear it from me...

I have thoughts about doing a Jaguar controller conversion kit (adding an analog thumbstick so there will be 16-directions):

Atari Jaguar Joypad Controller - Grey Buttons Controller Only - Works

but that is way lower on my very long wish list to do.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, DDbbkk said:

If possible, make it so you can use the disc and number keys at the same time using the same controller, instead of a dual wield (not a deal breaker if it can't be done).

This is only possible if the disc and side buttons are connected to Port 1 and the keypad is connected to Port 2 (or vis-versa).  And this means you'd have two cables coming out of one controller.

As done here: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/241707-intellivision-dual-action-controller/

This means that you'd have no two-player game possibility.

But I still like my idea of using the console for player 1 and using the ECS for player 2, so we'd need to get new homebrew game support, and hacking existing games, for doing this.

2 hours ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

I'm still trying to figure out what the function of the cartridge would be.  Would each person that you call have their own cartridge that must be inserted?  That kinda defeats the purpose of the keypad.  Maybe there's separate cartridges for local and long distance calling ??

It's a voice cartridge, so it's of course the answering machine. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 9:11 PM, fdr4prez said:

There is this one:

A new controller is coming soon! - Intellivision / Aquarius - AtariAge Forums

And I am slowly working on this conversion kit:

IntelliStick - Development Thread - Intellivision / Aquarius - AtariAge Forums

changing the dpad into a disc shape doesn't gain you anything.  It will still be 8 directions instead of the needed (desired) 16 directions of the original controller.

There may be a surprise in october about something like this...but you didn't hear it from me...

I have thoughts about doing a Jaguar controller conversion kit (adding an analog thumbstick so there will be 16-directions):

Atari Jaguar Joypad Controller - Grey Buttons Controller Only - Works

but that is way lower on my very long wish list to do.

You tease you... :P 

I always find people's views on the controllers interesting since I always judge how good a controller would be by how well it would play deadly discs,

which in my opinion must be played dual fisted, and what most people seem to think would be awesome fails miserably