IGNORED

1064M -- A 64k PBI Board for the 600XL

reifsnyderb

While working on the 320k PBI upgrade I figured I'd strip it down and do a 64k upgrade.  Since there was a 1064 PBI upgrade module for the Atari 600XL I figured I'd call it a 1064M. 

It turns out only 2 chips are needed.  An AS6C1008 for the SRAM and a couple inverters off of a 74F04.  It's a pretty simple circuit but works great.  Turning my little 600XL into a 64k machine so I can play M.U.L.E. on it takes about 10 seconds.  (You can see my priority here.   ?

I should probably clean the flux off the board.   lol

pic1.thumb.JPG.7fcfdb4b42c222d29d918cf32995046d.JPG

pic2.thumb.JPG.a046a6f32c8fcb37d2fc63537916ea34.JPG

schematic.thumb.JPG.7569c6f2a5c9eea3d3a0d2108b65cc24.JPG

• Like 16

• 7 months later...
17 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Need pass through for more PBI goodness

This could be done, of course, but would raise the cost and complexity of the board.  The cost would go up by roughly $10 due to time and expenses.  Most likely another 50 pin edge connector would be involved as well as a small board to act as an edge connector.  Though, a possibility would be to make this a horizontal board with a PBI pass-through.  The downside would be that a 320k horizontal board would have to be developed.  If the board exceeds 100mm, on a side, the board cost also goes up considerably.  So, at the end of the day, it all comes down to expense.

Personally, I'd go with developing more 1090 solutions so as to max out the PBI goodness.   🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

What is the price difference between this board and the 320k board? Is it significant enough to warrant a board to upgrade only to 64?

I am selling the 64k boards for $29.95 and the 320k boards for $74.95.  I try to stick with sale price being 3 times my cost of raw materials.  (This includes my shipping cost to get the materials.)  Because of the chip shortage, I've been using almost all glue logic...so there can be a lot of chips.

Edited by reifsnyderb