IGNORED

838-PEB Interest Check

Shift838

838-PEB Interest Check  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested to obtain an 838-PEB if made available?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. PEB Purchase Options

• Bare Board only (I source my own components)
    • Assembled and Tested Board
    • Assembled and Tested Board with 838-IOP Plus Card and cable
    • Assembled/Tested and installed a ATX Mid Tower Case (SHIFT838 Chooses Case with power supply)
    • Assembled/Tested and installed a ATX Mid Tower Case with 838-IO Plus card, 3D case and cable (SHIFT838 Chooses Case with power supply)
    • Not interested
  3. 3. Would you want Gotek Drives as an option for purchase?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not interested
  4. 4. What would you be willing to pay for an Assembled board only?

• $150-$200
    • $200-$250
    • Not interested
  5. 5. What would you be willing to pay for an Assembled board Installed in ATX Mid-Tower (SHIFT838 Chooses Mid-Tower and Power Supply)

• $200-$250
    • $250-$300
    • $0 - I will provide my own case and power supply
    • Not interested
  6. 6. What would you be willing to pay for an Assembled board Installed in ATX Mid-Tower with the 838-IOP option (SHIFT838 Chooses Mid-Tower and Power Supply).

• $300-$350
    • $350-$400
    • $400-$450
    • $500+
    • Not interested

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2022 at 02:00 PM

1 hour ago, WhataKowinkydink said:

I'd like to know more about this before i vote.  Is there a thread for some more information?

Second that.  Much to consider. Will ATX power supply require modifying TI cards?  What would the case look like?  Would overall cost be lower than an original expansion setup?  Would people with original equipment want to switch?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WhataKowinkydink said:

I'd like to know more about this before i vote.  Is there a thread for some more information?

The original thread is in the development area:

3 hours ago, SkyPilot said:

Second that.  Much to consider. Will ATX power supply require modifying TI cards?  What would the case look like?  Would overall cost be lower than an original expansion setup?  Would people with original equipment want to switch?

Also, the current TI cards will run and does not require removing the voltage regulators like some of the ATX power mods did.  

This unit will use a standard ATX power supply and Mid-Tower case.  You get to pick what case you want to use unless I offer a standard.  Just like building your own PC.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess I need a few more details before I comment. I am interested, but a fair amount of my concern lies with the number of drive bays that will be available in the case if you have something already in mind.  And, this would only be with the Geneve.

In my case, I would want to support a SCSI2SD drive bay, MFM Drem drive bay, Lotharek drive bay would be nice but not necessary, floppy drive bay, and the following cards: TIPI, RS232, memory expansion, Geneve, Rave Speech, SCSI card, and HFDC card.

Remember; drive bays typically extend the OTHER way from the ATX keep-out area.

This board could go in a full tower case just as well.

Take for instance, this rosewill case.

Alternatively, if you happen to have an antique from the 90s, you could use that.

(i happen to already have such an antique monster)

I would also point out that pizza box atx is still a thing, if you want your 'ATX PEB' to lay flat.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

I guess I need a few more details before I comment. I am interested, but a fair amount of my concern lies with the number of drive bays that will be available in the case if you have something already in mind.  And, this would only be with the Geneve.

In my case, I would want to support a SCSI2SD drive bay, MFM Drem drive bay, Lotharek drive bay would be nice but not necessary, floppy drive bay, and the following cards: TIPI, RS232, memory expansion, Geneve, Rave Speech, SCSI card, and HFDC card.

that's why there will be options, i believe most TI'ers and Geneve Users will just buy a assembled board then go about to source their own PC case and power supply based on their needs.  Since the board uses a standard ATX foot print then it will fit in many different types of cases like Mid-Towers and Full-Towers.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:31 AM, wierd_w said:

Remember; drive bays typically extend the OTHER way from the ATX keep-out area.

This board could go in a full tower case just as well.

Take for instance, this rosewill case.

Alternatively, if you happen to have an antique from the 90s, you could use that.

(i happen to already have such an antique monster)

I would also point out that pizza box atx is still a thing, if you want your 'ATX PEB' to lay flat.

I have been actually looking at the one you have lined as 'the pizza box' case.  I think it will work nicely, but I want to get some inside measurements to make sure the cards will still fit.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an actual SCSI or IDE drive, these typically have to be powered up before the PEB. Is this a non-issue with your design if you  put these drives within the PC case? Thank you.

Edited by MikeV
ommited details

5 hours ago, MikeV said:

Great news!

You should comment on that desire in the actual development thread.

The current design does not have such a wait function. Adding one should be reasonably trivial though. (A capacitor, a single bit latch, and some resistors would be cheapest I think?)