IGNORED

Off topic - PDF to WORD conversion program

atrax27407

I think the general problem of editing PDF is that the document structure may be very different from what you see. PDF is a page description language and not a text editor format. LibreOffice can also import and edit PDF(as a drawing).

• Like 1

Yeah, if you want something vaguely or partially useful within Word, surely Word itself is the best tool. 

But as Mizapf says, when it comes to turning a PDF into a document an application like Word can edit, your mileage will always an necessarily hugely vary, but lean in the direction of limited returns.  Since a PDF can be pretty much anything

In our community, they're often JPEG-compressed images of the document, with overlayed invisible text (produced via OCR software) providing something that can be used to locate or copy text within the document.  But these are in most cases more or less totally devoid of any larger document structure.  So it is usually going to be impossible to really usefully "convert" it to a structure native to a given document editor.  Since where document structure is concerned, for the most part, there isn't one. 

• Like 1

Converting PDFs drives me crazy. 

In the best case, the text is computer-readable, and in a PDF Viewer you can copy it to the clipboard. One chunk at a time. 

More often, the elements of the PDF don’t get drawn left-to-right across the page, and your clipboard gets words or lines out of order. They tend to stay in decent clumps, but sometimes the spaces are in, sometimes not!

In a manual scanned on Bitsavers, there is a pretty good OCR scan, providing a text layer over the compressed TIFF.  But… the elements are not ordered left-to-right consistently. And there’s  no imaginary grid. It’s like a kid put magnet letters on the fridge. Multi-column text… watch what happens when you mouse over a selection.

When I want to get articles out of magazine OCR scans, I end up with a raw mess. You know what’s easier than unscrambling the OCR text?

It has been easier to READ the PDF out loud to Siri, and fix the errors after that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Converting PDFs drives me crazy. 

In the best case, the text is computer-readable, and in a PDF Viewer you can copy it to the clipboard. One chunk at a time. 

More often, the elements of the PDF don’t get drawn left-to-right across the page, and your clipboard gets words or lines out of order. They tend to stay in decent clumps, but sometimes the spaces are in, sometimes not!

In a manual scanned on Bitsavers, there is a pretty good OCR scan, providing a text layer over the compressed TIFF.  But… the elements are not ordered left-to-right consistently. And there’s  no imaginary grid. It’s like a kid put magnet letters on the fridge. Multi-column text… watch what happens when you mouse over a selection.

When I want to get articles out of magazine OCR scans, I end up with a raw mess. You know what’s easier than unscrambling the OCR text?

It has been easier to READ the PDF out loud to Siri, and fix the errors after that. 

I use word for everything for a PC. Then I use my program, SNP for my own docs. I can cut and paste from classic 99 into SNP as well. 

1 hour ago, MrMaddog said:

You can edit PDF's in LibreOffice, but it uses the Drawing program instead of the word processor.

And each text line is in a "table" so beware of that, but you can still edit or cut/paste it...

Yes, and that makes sense, as I said above, because most PDF files are no text in the sense that we have in a word processor.

• Like 2