IGNORED

Atari Keyboard Advice Needed

A while back a friend gave me their Atari 800 XL computer, to be honest they didn't know it worked or not. After I got it I managed to get a modern power supply and TV hookup only to find out that some of the caps went bad. I have another friend who is a PC Tech who loves anything retro. His collection of classic computers should belong in a museum he has so many including a full Apple II set from monitor to printer. So after getting the closest match to what he needed and a replacement mylar for the keyboard he went to work.

He fixed the motherboard where nearly every cap was bad, he got it working. The Q Bert game I picked up earlier actually works. Unfortunate the keyboard is another matter. Which is finally the reason for this post as in "I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO?". Not everything works, and there are parts missing. Really Atari Computer People what should I do? 

If the mylar membrane has gone bad, then you have two options.  First is to use a multimeter to determine all the bad traces, then use a conductive paint/paint pen to draw/paint over the bad traces.  Second is to replace the membrane.  Given the number of bad keys, I would just replace the membrane.  That's what I had to do for my 130XE.

Best electronics (www.best-electronics-ca.com) carries new replacement membranes for $32.95 plus shipping.  Sadly, you can't order online, you'll have to call or fax them (very '80s/'90s).  Their numbers and hours of operation are towards the bottom of their page.  Likely, they will have any other parts you need as well.