IGNORED

Interest Check Super Famicom Box (Hotel Unit)

XtraSmiley

Hey I have one of these units, it was in very good condition, but the front plastic is brittle and the movers cracked the left side. It can be glued, but a quick look on eBay and it seems like they all broke on this spot. Anyway, It think my unit has the Mario Kart, Starfox, Mario All stars game cart and two controllers, no key. It's heavy as all get out, so a local sale in the Washington DC area is preferred.

Any idea on price?

https://ultimatepopculture.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Famicom_Box

Not mine, but looks like mine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195134753205?hash=item2d6ef009b5:g:ozEAAOSwQABinooQ

I'd really like to get a firer optic Nintendo or Supernintendo sign, but realize they are worth more. Maybe a trade and cash?

Edited by XtraSmiley

I don't have the sign, but would love to own this, if you figure out the value.  How come you're not certain what you have, can't power it up?

Given what you have linked it's the original model and not the later one using normal games like a Neo Geo MVS setup.  What you did link seemingly hasn't sold, so likely it's being ignored to the last moment or he's asking too much vs condition issues and that wouldnt' get you anywhere near a fiber optic sign as last I looked they go for like a couple thousand depending which and again condition.

The reason I'm thinking maybe he's high, that guy has an open box one, is yours open box?  I get it's heavy but shipping shouldn't be ruled out if someone is willing.  His listing has also at least once has been re-listed and hasn't dropped the price, but no takers so I think he's hoping for a sucker.  There's an unbroken one that works in Japan for 550 that has sat for awhile too.  I wish I had better advice but what I could dig up and tried again now digging up I'm not certain on price, but it appears $500 is too much, but what is too little I can't say.

Mine works, but when I was in Japan I grabbed 3 of them and I just can't remember which games this one has loaded. I'll plug it up and get confirmation of everything before I sell of course. Yes mine is open box and the controllers are pretty yellow, but they are just stock SFC controllers with really long cords, like 10 feet or something. I think my controllers are actually in really nice shape, just need the whitening treatment or swapped out.

Based on what you said, I think maybe ~$500 is fair, I think the eBay one is way too high, and $550 from Japan is ok until you factor in shipping..

As for shipping from me, man I don't care if the buyer wants to pay it, I'm willing to box it up extra careful, but the front plastic is so brittle, I'd recommend insurance so there are no hard feelings.

As for the ones in Japan a lot of them are also broken and people glue them (which makes it hard to tell in pictures). That plastic is just brittle as crap!

It's a very cool piece, I just need to start selling stuff off!  :)

• Like 1

Hotels Units...I was watching these for awhile.

MINT ones obviously demand a premium and trashed (cheap low priced) ones seem to sell very well (parts? people restoring? Just bragging rights to say they own it? no idea)

I would say $500 for one with cracks/yellowed controllers/etc seems a little high BUT you have a HUGE advantage being a US seller so maybe...

• Like 1

OK, pics for those who asked. First, controllers are VERY yellow on the front, but after very close examination look like new. I mean the buttons have little to no wear on them at all. I tried to get a close up picture, they are still very shiny. I think a face plate swap or a "whitening" treatment and they would be very nice. The cables look like new with no wear or tear.

The crappy thing, the movers broke the left side plastic. Grrrrr, this thing was very nice! I still have the piece, and I think with the right glue it won't be too noticeable, but I'll leave that to the buyer.

The top is without any dents or scratches, but the plastic looks a tad scuffed. I think it will buff out, but again, with it being so brittle, I'll leave it for the buyer.

If someone wants to buy it, I'll of course, plug it up so you can see it run... once I find some cables!

Questions? Feel free to ask. 

IMG_2618.thumb.jpeg.1c532dcad1e06d303c9d2f9ce16697cc.jpegIMG_2617.thumb.jpeg.55b42e6a717f0fc5b351c7d77f3cd39e.jpegIMG_2616.thumb.jpeg.02975ec795ff2f4b99266c95b92f869c.jpegIMG_2615.thumb.jpeg.8941c8323997bb693de4099ba51df324.jpegIMG_2614.thumb.jpeg.ad58b4c3f3aa72634bcc81bc0263b895.jpeg

IMG_2613.thumb.jpeg.c34ec592130e5c7071992cf7ba0476ee.jpeg

IMG_2612.thumb.jpeg.a940106087be42678dc724f0d80c51d9.jpegIMG_2611.thumb.jpeg.362be1a40b0834bc2fd4dd504431fb35.jpeg

• Like 1

On one hand I'm tempted, but the other there are just concerns from what you really want for it, to the yellow pads I can't retrobrite, to the problematic plastic getting worse off, also I don't see any key to open it up let alone turn it on.

Not even in the case of shipping being necessary sure where you would have it come from either come to think of it, and would be good to confirm what's inside though your memory probably is right.  The device being the original has a very limited library, -2 less so if language barrier is a problem.  They did make a v2 of it, like a m82 NES unit that just slots real SFC carts, that one I imagine fetches the eye popping values since it's versatile.

Edited by Tanooki

Why can't the pads be retrobrited? I can easily swap them out as well, they are just standard SFC pads after all. I can dig in my box and see if I have some non-yellow ones, but to be honest, it's probably better to take these and retrobrite them, as they really look unused. 

This is the Star Fox, Mario Kart, MAS set! I'll plug it in later to get a screen shot.

No worries if you're not interested, I've has a few PMs about it. Worse case I just hang on to it. I'm just selling stuff to make room, for more stuff!

I will also trades for arcade PCBs I'm after, but not sure this is the forum for that.

1 hour ago, XtraSmiley said:

Why can't the pads be retrobrited? 

eh... SNES and S Famicom stuff... the extremely mild "dollar store" grade first aid hydrogen peroxide mixed with "dollar store" oxy magic stuck in a clear tub in my driveway on a mild spring day, and heavily watered down ... bloomed the grey and color parts, and attacked the silkscreen printing on the pad

The white part looked boss though, and I was able to buff out some of the bloom with some plasti-X  

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, XtraSmiley said:

Why can't the pads be retrobrited? I can easily swap them out as well, they are just standard SFC pads after all. I can dig in my box and see if I have some non-yellow ones, but to be honest, it's probably better to take these and retrobrite them, as they really look unused.

I'm pretty sure they could be cleaned up, and yeah, you (or the new buyer) could just swap them out for better looking controllers. I wouldn't think the controllers alone would be a deal breaker for anyone but on the other hand, nice clean controllers might help your sale :)

Speaking for myself and seeing the post just above the last, retrobrite seems to based on a per person situation have various results, side effects, or lack of results.  I've never had luck around here getting it to work, just makes a mess and ends up blooming whatever or discoloring something else.  So when I'd buy this box system, I'd factor in buying 2 new(used) SFC controllers working or not, that haven't yellowed to swap out the ugly parts to make it nice again.  Someone else may feel comfy, but they'd factor in the risk, supplies, and time involved in making it work out going that way.  It's a fair issue to bring up, so yes, having it clean in the first place makes that a non-issue and easier to sell to more people.

Also what arcade pcbs?  That's not a problem here, it's a gaming site with a bit of everything.  I've got a neo geo game or two I'd part with.

Edited by Tanooki

ya retrobrite is a "obtained art" I have done plenty of machines with little to no issues but back on topic 

I am interested in this, but I am not a collector nor really a SNES guy (yea its a great system with a killer library, its not my first choice) to me some yellowed controllers would not even be a consideration, they sit inside the console when not in use ... and when in use do you really look at them? If you do is it not already covered in Dorito's dust, sweat and a sneeze from last weeks cold?

I think its a reasonable price (with some wiggle room) , for a somewhat rare variation, in scratch and ding condition and I hope whomever buys it will cherish it (as it sits on a ika bookshelf in a boss collectors room) 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Shmups I don't yet have and the below:

Anything Cave (except for the following ESPrade, ESPGaluda 1 & 2, Mushihime Same, Uo Poko, and Ibara)
Battle Garegga
Denjin Makai
Godzilla
Gunbarich
Gunbird
Gunforce 2
Kingdom Grand Prix
Monster Maulers
Ninja Baseball Batman
Ninja Clowns
Pacmania
Rabbit
Sailor Moon Pretty Soldier
SegaSonic The Hedgehog
Sengoku Ace
Sorcer Striker
Undercover Cops Alpha Renewal
Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III
Japanese Candy Cab (Egret 2, Astro, Blast etc)