IGNORED

Making A New Atari 5200 Controller In The Original Form Factor

Lucas Lac124

39 minutes ago, Lucas Lac124 said:

In all cases, I will only be offering the controller through eBay, because shipping costs are reduced quite a bit through its usage.

I use pirateship.com and the rates it provides are equal to ebay or paypal shipping rates. I strongly suggest everyone look into it. It's a free account that gives you business shipping rates.

@Lucas Lac124 I am curious to know where are you sourcing cables from?

Also it seems like a lot of people are missing one of your previous statements and are focused on a top/bottom button configuration and are missing the point of the left/right buttons on the original stick. I believe both top buttons are the same button press, and both bottom buttons are the same button press. On yours, the difference is left/right, like the proline controllers, right? You still have 2 unique button presses, they're just on either side and not the same side if I am looking at this right.

Edited by Dopy25

6 minutes ago, Dopy25 said:

I use pirateship.com and the rates it provides are equal to ebay or paypal shipping rates. I strongly suggest everyone look into it. It's a free account that gives you business shipping rates.

@Lucas Lac124 I am curious to know where are you sourcing cables from?

Also it seems like a lot of people are missing one of your previous statements and are focused on a top/bottom button configuration and are missing the point of the left/right buttons on the original stick. I believe both top buttons are the same button press, and both buttons are the same button press. On yours, the difference is left/right, like the proline controllers, right? You still have 2 unique button presses, they're just on either side and not the same side if I am looking at this right.

You are correct about the button functionality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucas Lac124 said:

That is certainly something that I can try out. What about color coding the buttons in some way? Would that be better or worse?

I was going to suggest perhaps making the buttons use the same colors as the lettering but figured you had your own idea on how you plan to handle them. Ideally it would be cool to leave the buttons black and then somehow has the S, P and R labeled on them and painted in the right colors. I assume they are too small to use a different color filament for the letting for fill so figured it would have to be paint possibly? But if so, then to help keep the wear down, the letters need to be beveled into the buttons vs raised.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lucas Lac124 said:

The buttons are indeed hard plastic, not rubber. This may be inauthentic, but it feels better in normal use in my opinion.

This is good.  In the past I thought how I would improve if I had the ability.  Definitely wanted the original form factor, hard buttons, self-centering joystick, and perhaps wireless.

5 hours ago, Lucas Lac124 said:

That is certainly something that I can try out. What about color coding the buttons in some way? Would that be better or worse?

even better idea - a green "S", a yellow "P", and a red "R", just like the original coding on the OG controller. That'll solve both problems!!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

even better idea - a green "S", a yellow "P", and a red "R", just like the original coding on the OG controller. That'll solve both problems!!!

I suggested that also just a few posts above... It would make sense if it is possible to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I suggested that also just a few posts above... It would make sense if it is possible to do.

That sounds like a great idea! I made a quick mock-up render of what the SPR might look like. I will replace the current font with the real Atari one for manufacturing.993135960_Assemblyv89.thumb.png.7f8f0817ebac2fe1926ef8bbc5eecb25.png.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Lucas Lac124 said:

That sounds like a great idea! I made a quick mock-up render of what the SPR might look like. I will replace the current font with the real Atari one for manufacturing.993135960_Assemblyv89.thumb.png.7f8f0817ebac2fe1926ef8bbc5eecb25.png.

That looks great!  :thumbsup:  I'm definitely in for 1.

Suggestion:  Instead of S, P, and R, how about icons that represent Start (green play button arrow maybe? |> ) , Pause (2 yellow lines || ) and Reset could be a red circle (although that usually means record ;) ).  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 8:19 AM, Lucas Lac124 said:

Sadly, it was not practical to add 2 sets of trigger buttons to the controller. Thankfully, this does not affect the function of the controller.

But the original need 2 buttons on each side.  So how would games that need both buttons like pole position work with only 1 button?