IGNORED

Searching in AtariAge

Larry

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I frequently don't get good search results here at AA. 

Let's say that I was interested in seeing if there is information about "Push It!" (as mentioned in a recent Atari 8-bit thread).  Even though I use quotes, I get back lots of results with only PUSH, PUSHING, PUSHED, etc.  I'm only interested in the complete quoted phrase.  Isn't that the way a search with quotes normally is supposed to work?

I was thinking that just yesterday. I've long since found it generally better to either pick a single unique word in a search, select the This forum option and sort any results by date OR simply use Google but prefix the search words with AtariAge. Latter works a treat most of the time.

The quote method in AA's search function never really works for me. Google is just a click away and then usually you get want you need in it's results and you are on the AA page in question within seconds.

• Like 1

Yep, I find searching on here hard work, as said, quotes should mask a lot out but even after using regular expressions I still find it daunting.. I do still search, but sometimes it's easier just to ask, which I know is lazy, but I have enough real world headaches as it is.

Edited by Mclaneinc
spelling as always!

5 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I'd imagine it is a standard WordPress search plugin used for a lot of forums - including AA. Ah well - Google gets around it for me

A lot of companies are like that too, you go on their site, search for a product and get no results.

Go to Google, put the same search, even without the company name and bingo, you find the item

and it's on that same companies site

Hands up anyone who uses Bing ?

Edited by TGB1718

3 hours ago, ivop said:

Instead of just adding atariage to your google search, you can also use "site:atariage.com" to limit your search. "filetype:zip" or "filetype:pdf" can be helpful, too.

So, just insert the Google search term followed by "site:atariage.com"?  Is that right?

• Like 2

yes - without the quotes tho

it works for any site

look up "search modifiers" - theres a few of them for various purposes. the one for finding documents is also useful

Edited by xrbrevin
syntax error at line 10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've given up trying to search through AA using the built-in forum search except for the most basic of stuff. I have much better luck using Google's Advanced search. I go there, go down to the site or domain field to narrow the search and enter the url for the forum I want to search, assuming I don't want to search the whole site, then enter the search criteria, and BOOM, there's my results. That's not to say I always get great results, but I usually have much better results than searching through the built-in search. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I've long since found it generally better to either pick a single unique word in a search, select the This forum option and sort any results by date OR simply use Google but prefix the search words with AtariAge. Latter works a treat most of the time.

Both of these are exactly the tactics I employ. Cheers.

• Like 1