IGNORED

Resistance - Capacitance Meter Project

cbelcher

Searching around non-English language Atari literature, I found a project from around 1990 that sparked some interest.

It is a resistance / capacitance meter that runs on the 8bits that interfaces through the joystick port and is based on a 555 timer. 

I found it here:

From AK BRNO Hardwareove doplnky – Mikrocentrum BRNO

http://atari8.cz/calp/data/br_man_hw/

Did some Google translating, looked at the schematic and the original pcb and recreated them.  Then back to the old days of typing in software - and trying to find errors in the poor text scan.

How does it work?  Not well...  But it is fun.  

Definitely needs calibration - it is a y=mx+b equation for each the resistance and capacitance - detailed in the documentation.

It will never replace your cheapest multimeter, but it does illustrate some interesting hardware hacking.  

I made a Word document with my poor translation and the original materials, attached.

Also there are pictures of the program and my finished PCB and an .ATR below.

Atari R-C meter.docx

Enjoy!

RCmetersoft.jpg

RCmeterPCB.jpeg

RCMeter.atr

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, machf said:

Definitely sounds interesting... I'll take a look at it and try to figure out how it's supposed to work. That should help wih the documentation.

Well, aside from "8x8 cm" (just to prevent any confusion with the measurement units), I don't think there's anything wrong with the translated documentation, at least after a quick look last night. Just got me thinking if it would be feasible to write code to graph the capacitor charge/discharge curve...

Edited by machf