Open Club  ·  87 members

AtariVox
IGNORED

Detecting an AtariVox vs. SaveKey?

johnnywc

Hi there!

As I finish up Gorf Arcade, I was looking into updating my SaveKey detection routine so that it can also determine if there is an AtariVox connected vs. just a SaveKey.  I already know how to detect a SaveKey, but was was wondering how or if other programmers detect if the SaveKey is actually an AtariVox?  I'm stepping through the Speakjet code through Stella to see if there is any difference (ie. carry flag set/reset if you attempt to write to the Speakjet and it's not there, etc.) between configuring a SaveKey vs. and AtariVox but figured I'd see if there is already a tried-and-true method available.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

What about sending some long enough speech data and check if the READY pin (pin 2 of the controller port, that is SWCHA bit 1/bit 5 for the right/left port respectively) ever reads as 0, indicating that the Speakerjet buffer is full?

On a SaveKey that pin should be unused (floating) and always read as 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

What about sending some long enough speech data and check if the READY pin (pin 2 of the controller port, that is SWCHA bit 1/bit 5 for the right/left port respectively) ever reads as 0, indicating that the Speakerjet buffer is full?

On a SaveKey that pin should be unused (floating) and always read as 1.

Thanks, I figured it would have something to do with the READY pin.  I wouldn't want actual speech playing the detection phase so I assume I could fill in the buffer with a bunch of control commands (ie. loop setting the PITCH over and over and see if RDY ever drops to 1).  Do you know how big the buffer?