IGNORED

Latest firmware doesn't boot fast enough

tsom

I wanted to pull this into it's own topic, from 

I know it's been a while, but has any progress been made to this problem?

I'm still seeing the issue on my 130xe and my FujiNet's (v1.0 and v1.3).

Again, turning on the computer doesn't boot the FujiNet - something seems to be delaying the FujiNet from starting up in time for the 130xe to recognize it and boot off the device. If I add power to the FujiNet, so it's all booted up, (either an external cable, or the USB to my computer), since the it's already booted, it starts up just fine.

If I don't have anything plugged into it, and once the XE comes up, I then type "BYE" to get to the system test, then hit Reset, I can get the FujiNet to boot.

I tried my 800XL, and it does the same thing.

6 minutes ago, tsom said:

I wanted to pull this into it's own topic, from 

I know it's been a while, but has any progress been made to this problem?

Again, turning on the computer doesn't boot the FujiNet - something seems to be delaying the FujiNet from starting up in time for the 130xe to recognize it and boot off the device. If I add power to the FujiNet, so it's all booted up, (either an external cable, or the USB to my computer), since the it's already booted, it starts up just fine.

If I don't have anything plugged into it, and once the XE comes up, I then type "BYE" to get to the system test, then hit Reset, I can get the FujiNet to boot.

This is very strange, as I have been using an Atari FujiNet in both power modes, without issue. Is anyone else experiencing this?

-Thom

4 hours ago, tsom said:

4 hours ago, tsom said:

Are you using the same power supply when testing both machines?

What is the SIO voltage reported in the webui when powered by SIO only and when external USB power is applied?

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

When I tried with a power supply, yes. I didn’t even know it had that value in the web interface. I will check both and let you know. 

I was playing with the SD card inserted and not on both. Without the sd card (I have two that have both been working just fine), I could get it to boot on power up, sometimes. (I did the reset as mentioned in the other thread (hold down B and push reset). That seemed to work-sometimes- but if I pull the FujiNet out and reinsert it, back to no booting.

I’ll get you the voltages. 

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

FujiNet 1.0 - With USB Power - 4.748V  Without USB Power - 4.748V

FujiNet 1.3 - With USB Power - 4.812V  Without USB Power - 4.812V

As an aside, I'm seeing errors in the FujiNet Flasher app when trying to either show the debug output, or attempt to do an update:

Nevermind that, replugging the USB adapter seems to have fixed it.

image.png

image.png

Edited by tsom
problem went away

Maybe I've got the same problem:

On my XEGS with Ultimate1MB, I could enter the Fujinet-config by pressing the right button (reset), waiting 5 seconds and typing "cold /n" in SDX.

Now, this doesn't work anymore, the XEGS just boots to basic. I have to repeat it several times till it works. Even "fmall" from SDX does not work at once.

I've tried it with my two FNs Version 1.6 and 1.6.1 (according to the web-interface)

On my 800XL (Bibomon 320k) they both work as expected.

With awesome help from @mozzwald, I discovered what may be a possible cause…

I plugged in a blank FujiNet, without an SD card, and it booted right up, to the WiFi selection screen. Yay. 

I then shut down, inserted my sd card, and…. Back to not booting up. Boo.

I tried removing the sd card, but it retained the WiFi settings and still didn’t boot. 

I then did a reset (hold down B until

the leds go off then hit C). Power down and back up booted up fine again. This time I selected my WiFi, entered the password and got to the Config screen. 

Power down and back on… no booting. 

after testing, I believe that it has to do with connecting to the WiFi that is causing the delay in booting. If I reset, I can power cycle over and over and it boots up. Once I add the WiFi (either selecting it or inserting the Sd card, no boot)

I tested my old 1.3 version and it does the same. 

1 minute ago, tsom said:

I believe that it has to do with connecting to the WiFi that is causing the delay in booting.

I was able to move the wifi connect out of the regular setup and run it after the SIO service has started. This shaved 100-150ms off the boot time for me. Here is a test build you can try by running Fujinet Flasher from the command line. Let me know if it works

FujiNet-Flasher /path/to/fujinet-ATARI-0.5.slow-boot-fix.zip

fujinet-ATARI-0.5.slow-boot-fix.zip

• Like 1

Success!!

That firmware seems to have done the trick. Rebooted several times before and after adding the WiFi info, and after inserting my SD card! This was on the new device, I’m going to flash my v1.0 and see but I have hope!

thanks!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tsom said:

Success!!

That firmware seems to have done the trick. Rebooted several times before and after adding the WiFi info, and after inserting my SD card! This was on the new device, I’m going to flash my v1.0 and see but I have hope!

thanks!!

That's great! I'll push the change to the repo and it will be in the next update

• Like 3