IGNORED

Sega Master System HSC - 2022 Summer Round 2 - Dead Angle

BydoEmpire

On 7/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, fakecortex said:

BTW, does anyone else find their phaser to shoot a little off to the right? Depending on the game, it takes some getting used to, and I want it to be just a little more accurate. 

I had to max the brightness on my TV for Rescue Mission, but it was accurate for the most part.   On some of the levels where "brown" was the main screen color, it had some issues hitting targets on the far left and right, though.  No so much "accuracy," just like it didn't see them at all, so I had to wait until they were a bit more on screen.

Gonna hook it up via Component cables later tonight and see if it registers any differently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Gonna hook it up via Component cables later tonight and see if it registers any differently.

Ah, that’s a good idea. I’ll have to do some testing myself. I also play on the floor with a cabinet tv, so I’ll switch up my distance and angle and try it out. 

Rescue Mission was one of the games I picked up the other day, and I liked it! Neat concept and fun, especially when I figured out who to shoot and who to save ?

5 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I had to max the brightness on my TV for Rescue Mission, but it was accurate for the most part.   On some of the levels where "brown" was the main screen color, it had some issues hitting targets on the far left and right, though.  No so much "accuracy," just like it didn't see them at all, so I had to wait until they were a bit more on screen.

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

Ah, that’s a good idea. I’ll have to do some testing myself. I also play on the floor with a cabinet tv, so I’ll switch up my distance and angle and try it out. 

Rescue Mission was one of the games I picked up the other day, and I liked it! Neat concept and fun, especially when I figured out who to shoot and who to save ?

So, I didn't quite expect this, but using the component cables from HD Retrovision fixed all my issues with Master System AND Genesis light gun games.  Accuracy seems cool, no issues hitting those targets far left and right, and I don't have to increase the brightness at all.  It just works.

• Like 1

Well I decided I wanted one more try.  I made it to the last level with all five lives left, and I managed to finish the game.  I am not sure if I got lucky or the end boss himself is really easy.  My final score is 210,500.  You do not have much time after the game ends to get a picture.  The score flashes in and out pretty quickly and then it goes into demo mode.  Not sure if it shows the high score again after going into demo mode.

The ending was pretty nice.  One things that always bugs me about the high score clubs though, is when you are more worried about trying to get a picture of the score than enjoying the game's ending.

• Haha 2

I hit up some vintage game stores yesterday and I found another light phaser for 10 bucks! Didn’t realize till I tested it out that the trigger squeaks, and it gets loud and annoying fast. If I’m feeling brave, I’ll open it up and see if cleaning it out helps. But at least that means I can dual wield in Gangster Town! Squeaking aside, it’s very cool, and it’s a good enough game to warrant buying a second phaser to play 2 players. 

Bonus Point Town

1200B48E-C511-4F9B-8A18-E6B3968A2A40.thumb.jpeg.8b7898aca879b81a33d9aea356565fa5.jpeg 

Looks like Cortex beat Fake. This time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

I hit up some vintage game stores yesterday and I found another light phaser for 10 bucks! Didn’t realize till I tested it out that the trigger squeaks, and it gets loud and annoying fast. If I’m feeling brave, I’ll open it up and see if cleaning it out helps. But at least that means I can dual wield in Gangster Town! Squeaking aside, it’s very cool, and it’s a good enough game to warrant buying a second phaser to play 2 players. 

Can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something awesome about bringing a squeaky gun to a shootout!

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:05 PM, jeremiahjt said:

My first bonus point game is Trap Shooting from the Marksman Shooting & Trap Shooting combo cartridge.  I scored 40,400.  I did pretty good until the scene change to the beach.  At that point the clays start coming from the sides and I cannot hit anything on the widest quarter of the screen on the left or the right on my tv.  Once that started I could go no farther.  One of the reasons I like Missile Defense 3-D so much is that most everything happens in that middle area.

I played around with my tv settings and by lowering my color really low I could hit all the way to the edges on my screen.  Now for Trap Shooting the top fourth or fifth can no longer be used, but you can get around that by getting on the clays early or waiting for them to come down late.  Waiting for them to come down will also increase their point value.  I scored 75,000 last time I tried it.  I was also able to play Gangster Town better and made it to the final round.  One Light Phaser, not two though.

On 7/4/2022 at 5:45 PM, Razzie.P said:

Rescue Mission - 105,000  (bonus point)

Found this one sitting on my shelf and realized I've never actually played it, so this gave me a good excuse.

RescueMission105000.jpg.4bb22133bebb3e716761ccc708c14713.jpg

I think Rescue Mission is my favorite light gun game in the entire library. Good choice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dashopepper said:

Im surprised someone noticed!  It was many months of mindlessly scrolling through Phasers on EBay to find something mildly cooler then a regular Phaser, but cool they are!  

Cool! I was hoping to find one for my second phaser that I got recently, but alas, just a super squeaky one instead. Awesome shot.

image.png.0a02118f35d6121533e263cb0fd64022.png

*edit* that was supposed to be an animated gif. Hot Fuzz btw :)

Edited by fakecortex
  • Haha 1