IGNORED

Happy Birthday Atari

StickJock

At first, for a second, I thought I was looking at a fire-melted Atari, and wondered what it had to do with Homer Simpson! But as it's a cake, that takes incredible skill even for an artist, to make a cake that looks that closely to the joystick and cartridges and the system and  good enough to eat...or not...(it ruins the art!)

Happy Birthday Paul! You may be getting old, but one is never too old to play video games! One may become physically unable, but that can happen to those younger too.  It's better to die (in your own time) holding a joystick in your hands than rocking chair under your bum! If your hands are too arthritic then put your feet on an Amiga power-pad and play until you die! (in the game and in life)

Heck, if you have to, make the chair you sit in into your controller when you rock or lean!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

Outside of what we called the "phone companies" (AT&T, et al), no other company has had a bigger influence in my life than Atari.  That the brand is still recognized today is a testament to its greatness.

As the former owner of a VCS, 400, 800 and 520ST I agree.

Even though I don't collect it, I still feel a small rush of excitement when I see Atari gear at a garage sale or flea market.  An ingrained, involuntary reaction from all those years ago.

• Like 5

On 6/28/2022 at 2:23 AM, Lynxpro said:

This is why Atari Inc. should be credited with creating our modern world. Without the video game craze that perpetually stimulated the massive demand for better graphics, audio, and ever more powerful microprocessors and RAM, there wouldn't be a personal computer industry. There'd still be expensive mainframes, time share computing schemes, and dumb terminals.

I still think there would be a personal computer industry because of the integrated circuit revolution that made all this possible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 6:17 AM, zzip said:

I still think there would be a personal computer industry because of the integrated circuit revolution that made all this possible.

Without Atari driving down prices for all of the previously mentioned items, the best that would've been for a good decade was text-based CP/M computers. The adage back in the 70s was that the Pentagon, NASA, and Atari were the biggest purchasers of computer chips. Just like if you were a programmer back then, your big choices to work for was the Pentagon, NASA, or Atari. Without Atari, there wouldn't be an Apple. Or an Activision. Or many others. "The Future" would look like computers from Alien and Classic Doctor Who.

• Like 1