IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration compilation will include Jaguar games

KidGameR186496

To give my two cents on the matter, i do hope Super Burnout and Iron Soldier 1 make the cut. The owner of Ultra Vortek is still active (now under the WildWorks umbrella). Yes, Atari published Val d'Isere but Virtual Studio went defunct in 1999. It would be cool to hace it but not only is the eponymous resort an issue, Fila also showed up in the game as a brand as well. Now that i think about it, didn't Piko Interactive grabbed the rights to Mutant Penguins? Atari published the Jag original but GameTek were the ones who published the PC version.

Also, something i also noted in the trailer was that the 8-bit homebrew game Yoomp! was included. So, why not add either one of Reboot's full-fledge games (like Superfly DX) or BattleSphere into the mix as well?

Edited by KidGameR186496
Typo fix

8 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Re: Space War 2000... was that game ever finished? Doesn't appear so according to its Wikipedia entry. Some features still missing or broken, including 2-Player split-screen deathmatch mode and weapons upgrading.

From my research (as i'm the one who did the Wiki entry), it was reportedly near-completion according to Yak in a old online magazine. Not only it received a ESRB rating but a retail box as well. I posted that picture somewhere on the forum.

Edited by KidGameR186496
Deleted incorrect info

On 6/30/2022 at 12:41 PM, KidGameR186496 said:

From my research (as i'm the one who did the Wiki entry), it was reportedly near-completion according to Yak in a old online magazine. Not only it received a ESRB rating but a retail box as well. I posted that picture somewhere on the forum.

I had a cart made from B&C BITD and remember thinking it was fairly playable. But if it's going to make an appearance on the new VCS, be nice if it were 100% finished with the bugs worked out.  ?

3 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Also, something i also noted in the trailer was that the 8-bit homebrew game Yoomp! was included. So, why not add either one of Reboot's full-fledge games (like Superfly DX) or BattleSphere into the mix as well?

Because they didn't ask.

Although the irony of a homebrew author sending Atari a C&D would not be lost. Turnabout is fair play, right? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/29/2022 at 8:18 PM, sirlynxalot said:

Atari has an ip list on it's website which includes about 250 games. I was surprised there were hardly any Jaguar games on it and I don't think I saw a single lynx game.  Several titles previewed like fight for life and cybermorph are not on the list of owned ips, so it's kind of funny then that "atari" must be having to license the use of a substantial amount of atari games from others in order to present this historical collection that is supposed to embody the history of its brand.  

They don't list everything they have in that IP catalog for some reason. Before selling off V-Rally, Drakkhen, Glover, the Videopac stuff, etc. they never bothered having them listed. 

Let's start the petition for Battlesphere to be on this compilation :)

All kidding aside - just seeing there is a new Jag emulator, I will actually be buying this, in the hopes other Jag ROMs can be used with it.  Before anyone calls me a dirty pr8 - I have every cart and CD-ROM except a few of the newest homebrews.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

The proto version that was sold by several vendors should be described as a rudimentary tech demo, somewhat playable, but with minimal content. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

They don't list everything they have in that IP catalog for some reason. Before selling off V-Rally, Drakkhen, Glover, the Videopac stuff, etc. they never bothered having them listed. 

Hm, I wonder if that list is supposed to be all IPs related only to the atari brand, rather than everything the company might currently own, which could include infogrames stuff.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

So you used hearsay to fill out a Wikipedia article without playing it? It's clearly in an early Alpha state.

This sort of nonsense is why I don't bother supporting Wikipedia.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, agradeneu said:

The proto version that was sold by several vendors should be described as a rudimentary tech demo, somewhat playable, but with minimal content. 

Fortunately, the somewhat disturbing third-eye face transition sequence is 100% complete and bug free in my experience though. Clearly this is the soul of the game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Fortunately, the somewhat disturbing third-eye face transition sequence is 100% complete and bug free in my experience though. Clearly this is the soul of the game.

You know that guy is dead now. It's kinda like seeing a ghost. 

I think a part of Lance still roams the halls of AvP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

So you used hearsay to fill out a Wikipedia article without playing it? It's clearly in an early Alpha state.

This sort of nonsense is why I don't bother supporting Wikipedia.

Hey! I can correct the info on that page. After all, i'm the one who did it. So, i owe to that info error.

6 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Hm, I wonder if that list is supposed to be all IPs related only to the atari brand, rather than everything the company might currently own, which could include infogrames stuff.

Your guess is as good as mine. They do list Castles & Catapults in that catalog and that's not a classic Atari IP. They are currently selling two point-n-clicks on Steam and GOG (Prisoner of Ice and Shadow of the Comet) and yet those have never been listed in their catalog. Same goes for those DOS war sims by MicroProse (Crusade in Europe, Conflict in Vietnam, etc.). 

EDIT: They also list the RCT franchise as an IP, even though that's licensed to them (a license that expired yesterday).

Edited by bugcatcher88

2 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Hey! I can correct the info on that page. After all, i'm the one who did it. So, i owe to that info error.

It is possible that the version that was found was not the latest rev. A later version that matches your info may turn up.

Mitch

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 2:57 PM, cubanismo said:

This is by far the most interesting part to me. Wonder if we'll ever get to see the code for this.

This guy made some kind of a Roomba app that it looks like will map your room and turn it into a Doom map if I'm understanding correctly.

4 hours ago, JagChris said:

You know that guy is dead now. It's kinda like seeing a ghost. 

I think a part of Lance still roams the halls of AvP.

Ah geez hate to hear about that kind of thing. But that reminds me, that the trash talking fmv opponent in need for speed on 3do also passed away some years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 6/30/2022 at 8:43 PM, bugcatcher88 said:

Yeah the IP catalog doesn't seem to be entirely accurate. Like they don't list Blood: Fresh Supply on there despite the fact they published the update and I think still have some of the rights to republish the first and second game, but the rest of the rights to the series is owned by Warner. They also don't list what platforms the games are from, the Super Asteroids & Missile Command game on Lynx they would presumably own but it's not listed, and older rerelease collections which included Battlezone are listed on the catalog despite that getting sold off years ago.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:40 PM, KidGameR186496 said:

A compilation for modern platforms titled Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration was recently announced (https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/atari-50-the-anniversary-celebration-announced-for-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc). However, the biggest draw of this news is the fact that some Jaguar games will ve included. I linked the trailer for you all to see:

For those who don't want to watch the trailer, here are some of the Jaguar titled included so far:

* Atari Karts

* Cybermorph

* Fight for Life

* Missile Command 3D

* Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy

But the biggest question among you might be "How they included Jaguar games? Knowing how difficult it is to emulate the console." Well, a simple answer really - a member of Digital Eclipse wrote a new Jaguar emulator for this compilation:

https://twitter.com/DickWhitehouse/status/1542169227485777921

This is all the news for the moment. I'll try to keep you all to date regarding any other Jaguar game in the compilation.

Even though I like four of the games on that possibly partial list of Jaguar games, there are only two that should be included in a compilation to put the Jaguars best paw forward, so to speak. And personally, I can think of another 5 totally different Jaguar games that I feel should be on the list first. I'm glad I already have them on my own real Jaguar w/CD system, and many other great ones I don't have anymore on the Jaguar GD. 

Of course that's (Jaguar games in compilation) academic to me also because I don't own a new Atari VCS 800 yet, and I was going to have one gifted to me, but that person decided not to get one for either of us, since he couldn't walk into a physical store and grab one off the shelf. So I won't be getting a VCS until the price drops quite a bit, either to close-out, or Atari just finally slapping themselves on the forehead and final realize the price HAS to drop to be comparable to the cheapest PC equivalents, and get more software on it, advanced software, not more classics and compilations that only those who already own one (the fringe) are anxious for. It doesn't have to be state-of-the-art like the latest Xbox or PS, but more of what they do already have in a few Indy games, that at least take advantage of it's power. 

But the price is the main part. If I could get an all-in-one bundle for $250, I go order it now. (the same price I payed new for an Atari Jaguar (including 2nd joypad via UPC mail-in by the way. And the same I payed for the last console I bought new at it's release, the Dreamcast.