IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration compilation will include Jaguar games

KidGameR186496

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

First time i hear CRT was "blurry". For low res consoles, you will get the sharpest picture and colors on a CRT, but in case of the Jaguar, only with SCART.

The Lynx screen blurs when scrolling and moving sprites, otherwise it is pixel perfect LCD.

For the color changes with McWill, it has not much to do with the blurines as the original display is more true to the colors I see on my laptop LCD when creating the artwork.

I am doing artwork for Lynx and Jaguar, so I am naturally somewhat interested how it looks in different configurations and it might be crucial to quality to care about such things.

There are very good and good configurations, but the worst thing by a long shot is to filter pixel graphics by interpolation algorithm.

There is a simple reason for that: in pixel art, every pixel is carefully set by hand by the artist. When doing a 8x8 sprite, facial features are expressed by 2 sibgle pixels.

Now, the algorithm will swap the original pixel with 4 or whatever artificial ones, for the sole purpose to smoothen edges.

It should be clear that the artist work is mostly ruined. So, it is not nitpicking about insignificant things.

Just to clarify: The big advantage of CRTs over early/older LCDs is that they don't blur images when fast movement is happening. (Also reduced input lag)

Putting Lynx LCD and CRTs in the same category of "bluriness", sorry for that, is utter nonsense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Putting Lynx LCD and CRTs in the same category of "bluriness", sorry for that, is utter nonsense.

We can agree to disagree. Similar to a crt, graphical techniques of the era to imply more colors and shading, stuff like checkerboard dithering, is going to get smoothed out on the og lynx screen as well as a crt, while looking like a checkerboard on a modern lcd. And isn't that the primary thing people are always crowing about when they say stuff like 16 bit games don't look right unless they are on a crt?

2 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

We can agree to disagree. Similar to a crt, graphical techniques of the era to imply more colors and shading, stuff like checkerboard dithering, is going to get smoothed out on the og lynx screen as well as a crt, while looking like a checkerboard on a modern lcd. And isn't that the primary thing people are always crowing about when they say stuff like 16 bit games don't look right unless they are on a crt?

You have no idea what you are talking about. I leave it that way, not wasting my time.

• Like 1

Downloading the 50th anniversary set from the Playstation store.  Just four to five hours to go.  :D

Cybermorph with a PS4 controller... should be cool  :D

A FEW HOURS LATER...

Man, that is was well worth $40!   20221118_000816.thumb.jpg.9abb3f0006fdcb85f7d5f805e8ea52ae.jpg

Yeh, not sure how to work a number pad on a PS4 controller, but this is a nice selection of games.   Jaguar games are cool, the reimagined games are fun, and Swordquest Airworld?  They're spoiling me!  :D

Well, ok, it could have used Bubsy...

• Like 4

Just got my copy a few days ago, and have to say I'm quite impressed with the amount of content they have in it. And I have to agree that the Jag games do seem to run a bit better than on the original hardware. Still, though, it's nice to be able to play T2K on my Nintendo Switch.

• Like 8

On 11/16/2022 at 3:15 PM, MikeA said:

I think it all depends on how well your TV scales 1080p content to 4K, because the collection is outputting in 1080p and is upscaling the original assets to 1080p.  Have you tried using the TV filter and selecting Fullscreen in the options?  This will get rid of the black bars on the top and bottom, but obviously there will be black bars on the sides because the original ratio was 4:3; the TV filter smooths out the jaggies and gives it more of a CRT look.  To me, the graphics look nearly identical on Atari 50 Anniversary collection to how they look on my Jaguar via Retrotink 5x; the only difference is the Retrotink 5x's superior scanlines.

I'm using a Samsung UE43AU8000KXXU TV,, rental, given it as a replacement for my old 1080P Phillips sets, which had issues with coming out of standby mode. 

They advised me to go with it as it has a Game Mode. 

Spent a bit of time this evening after work, messing around with settings, turned Fit To Screen  Off and found the custom screen size option, for the TV and then messed around with Game's TV options.. much happier now. 

Thank you 😊

I should of invested more time on this, just arrived at a very busy time in my life. 

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 2

Great to hear the emu is solid. Was waiting on feedback. 

Been out of pocket for a bit, but scanning thread... looks like emulator did not originate from Project Tempest, correct? Just a coincidence it ran T2K first? 

For the CRT talk vs this collection on modern LCDs... a CRT took ~16 ms to draw a full screen at 60 Hz or ~8 ms in center. It was "zero lag" at top (not overall, common misconception) & now we standardized to measure this in middle of screen. Many LCDs are right there or better. Mine is ~11 ms vs CRT ~8. Enjoy the games without worry lol. You eyes won't even notice that as it's 1 frame/fps.

• Like 1

Well, my old rubbish run of a mill Phillips CRT beats my modern Sony 4K TV fairly easy in terms of response times.

Also, the colors are great and it has no issues with fast motions, typical for videogames.

This Digital Foundry goes in depht with the topic, for those interested:

Most people play their old consoles on modern LCsD, and it's great with the proper upscaler/double liner. I doubt its great for 4k, but any 1080p display works very well-. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

I picked it up on the Switch on launch day. I played through much of this but of course all of the Jaguar games. 

I felt some clipping or lagging on Club Drive and Tempest 2000. But hey being able to play Jag on a 75 inch is awesome. It would be killer of many more jaguar games could be released as DLC for this!

• Like 1

Bigpemu looks very interesting. It'll be fun to compare to VJ and Phoenix and see if games run better with this emu, and if the handful of games that don't run at all on either emulator run on this one.  It would also be incredible if bigpemu provided jagcd emulation since neither of the other main emulators do, although reviewing the video, I didn't see any references to that.

3 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Bigpemu looks very interesting. It'll be fun to compare to VJ and Phoenix and see if games run better with this emu, and if the handful of games that don't run at all on either emulator run on this one.  It would also be incredible if bigpemu provided jagcd emulation since neither of the other main emulators do, although reviewing the video, I didn't see any references to that.

Maybe in the future, but i really wish the emulator's author the best for his health.

The only emulator that did offer Jag CD emulation was Project Tempest with 3 games IIRC.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

What's the deal with the author's health. I didn't see any reference to that in the Twitter post or another website post by the author I found mentioning the emu.

Go to his Patreon side. He has (or as he says, dies) from cancer. he mentions iti n the last sentences in the video.

• Sad 3