IGNORED

Yoomp officially released on Atari 50th The Anniversary compilation?

Fred_M

I was reading this page: https://www.atari.com/games/50th-celebration/

And on that page is a Youtube video that was uploaded yesterday. It is about a compilation for a.o. Atari VCS, Nintendo Switch, Steam, Xbox and Playstation.

You can watch the video here: 

And at 0:53 I saw this:

yoomp.thumb.jpg.fb33ab85f820ceda29161db63c9aaf49.jpg

So it looks like the compilation will include later homebrew games. I am curious to see which Atari 8-bit games will be included.

Does anyone know more? And does someone know if the creators of Whoomp gave their permission to Atari, as we all know that Atari does not always do that... ?

Edited by Fred_M
typo
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, abbotkinneydude said:

And maybe one day S.A. will buy back the Battlezone rights.

I don't know what Rebellion would want to sell the rights back, but a licensing arrangement would be great. I have one of the Arcade1Up Star Wars machines and love it. The Tempest-themed Atari legends series machine is on my curreent drool/wanna-have-it! list for sure this summer but the fact that Battlezone isn't one of the games included due to licensing really annoys me. 

That said, Yoomp! has a pretty clear set of credits and it's not hard to know who to credit/obtain the rights from. 

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.f791b45fef6f03438b6aa6b961ca5bd6.jpg

IMG_2108.thumb.jpg.f21d2f4ac115f180118b818c9d25d0e8.jpg

IMG_2107.thumb.jpg.476b6801a52a6ea2dcdd73fdf54aec45.jpg

IMG_2106.thumb.jpg.754a1bd64932a58f92817af75c17163b.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 4:30 PM, Fred_M said:

Does anyone know more? And does someone know if the creators of Whoomp gave their permission to Atari, as we all know that Atari does not always do that... ?

They could not get permissions for Whoomp, that's why they included Yoomp instead :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/30/2022 at 10:30 PM, Fred_M said:

I was reading this page: https://www.atari.com/games/50th-celebration/

And on that page is a Youtube video that was uploaded yesterday. It is about a compilation for a.o. Atari VCS, Nintendo Switch, Steam, Xbox and Playstation.

You can watch the video here: 

And at 0:53 I saw this:

yoomp.thumb.jpg.fb33ab85f820ceda29161db63c9aaf49.jpg

So it looks like the compilation will include later homebrew games. I am curious to see which Atari 8-bit games will be included.

Well Fox and Eru are officially reachable via their LinkedIn accounts e.g. and Fox has many websites.

Not sure how much I can say at this moment, as some things are not finalized, but just wanted to confirm what you saw is true.

We're in touch with the authors of the compilation, and we hope Yoomp! lands in the final version.

I don't know if any other homebrew games will be included.

• Like 15

• 7 months later...

I'd say you'd want a good number of what people call 'homebrew' as they are done in nearly the same fashion as early Atari programs were made, and in fact much better in some respects due to a full team interacting to make them, done of love and challenge.

If Atari is smart they'd get in touch with a good swath of these impeccable coders/graphists/artists/chip musicians and pay them a royalty or shareware fee of some kind. Almost all of these are professional quality releases that are for the community to use on real 8 bit machines or the era gone by. Please don't pressure anyone into all the rights for everything. You will p*ss the user base and community off. And as history has shown, all folks involved walk away and no more will be made as a result.