IGNORED

Bowling 5200

glurk

15 hours ago, glurk said:

Back when I did my 'Freeway' port, a couple people in the thread mentioned "Bowling."  I just recently did an 8bit port of it in the programming forum, and I just had a go at making a 5200 version.  I'm not making any guarantees on this one, but it seems to work OK in Altirra, so here it is:

Bowling [5200].bin 16 kB · 49 downloads

Thank you sir. This is one my favorite 2600 titles.  You rock!

51 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Since we couldn't get Phoenix done due to its bank-switching capabilities, and since Demon Attack was already done decades ago, why not try the (hidden) gem from Apollo, Space Cavern. Please.

Here is the ROM for it if you want to download it for the conversion process.

SpaceCavern.BIN 4 kB · 1 download Phoenix.bin 8 kB · 1 download

Bro, we just got a bowling game and you didn't even say thanks and just asked for a Space Cavern game?  Ignore the rude behavior @glurk.  

• Like 1

Thanks, I did forget to say thanks but at that time I wasn't thinking straight, but anyhow since it is more than due and because any contribution to Big Sexy's lineup is worthy of it, "THANKS!" :) 

I will be filming some episodes of The Atari 5200 SuperReport tomorrow morning (depending on when the groundskeepers show up here at Bishop Park, so I can film before that as their leaf blowers, weed-eaters and lawn mowers make a bit of noise that can ruin a filming session pretty quick bit yes I WILL start filming this week, and this will be one of the first I will be reviewing on that new series.

Here also is my fully-finished opening intro for The Atari 5200 SuperReport, check this shit out guys!

The music is "Amp" by Fluke from their 1997 album "Risotto"

Bowling! It was on our informal list of most played games back then. And I had a ton of carts to pick from. We would play this on lazy nights because there was no enforced pace or time limitation. We used to put a piece of tape on the screen to help us align for strikes. Only moderately successful however - must be some randomization?

I remember us playing it in conjunction with other (even slower moving) Apple II games and reading astronomy books and making mixtapes of post-BradyBunch Flower Power 70's love songs and stuff. Ewh!

• Like 5

On 7/2/2022 at 11:00 PM, glurk said:

Back when I did my 'Freeway' port, a couple people in the thread mentioned "Bowling."  I just recently did an 8bit port of it in the programming forum, and I just had a go at making a 5200 version.  I'm not making any guarantees on this one, but it seems to work OK in Altirra, so here it is:

Bowling [5200].bin 16 kB · 71 downloads

Sweet!  I never played the original, I assume the 2600 only used a joystick.  Did you include the trak-ball controller option?  Actually, I wonder how that would work.  I mean, I can imagine setting an aiming marker for where the ball would go, setting up the bowler (left, right, centered) and then spinning the trak-ball a certain way to define spin and speed on the otherwise straight-released ball.  But that would probably require higher rez graphics to define the bowling lane markings for aiming.

https://www.courtdimensions.net/bowling-lane/index.php

This is literally Larry Kaplan's 6502 code from the 2600 cartridge running on the 5200.  I just changed the H/W registers in the kernel, and added code to convert the 5200 analog sticks to U,D,L,R digital values.

I don't think the trak-ball even existed when this game was written, LOL...  Maybe it did, but I certainly did not add any support for it.  I didn't really add much of any code at all, it's just a direct port of the original game.  I don't even know how the game works, honestly.  I just port over the kernel parts and leave all the game logic stuff as it is in the original. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter keeps stealing my Flashback portable and playing with it, but just recently discovered this game on there and keeps chattering on about it.  Last night, she was begging and begging to play video games so I told her to turn on the 5200 and I had a new one to show her.  Booted this one up and she said "Ooooh!  It's Bowling but we get to use the big stick!"

Indeed.  I did lose, but I think that's because I tried to get too fancy with my play while she just bombed it down the middle.  At any rate.  It worked like a charm and was a hit in our house.

Also for all the naysayers who sniff the air and ask "wHy nOt jUsT pLaY iT oN 8-bIt Or 2600?"  Because you get to use the big stick, duh.

• Like 2