IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

12 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

?

1060047619_HorriblePreorders.thumb.png.75442ae489dfecd97fd5990cf4f89df2.png

:D

Like I said the two companies have different objectives.  But that comment, not even a laughing emoji, is nothing compared to the ridicule towards the Atari VCS and those looking forward to it from other users on Atariage.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mr_me said:

All the ridicule is bad behaviour

Most of the ridicule both of these platforms got was perfectly deserved, because it started first as valid criticisms (of often ridiculous things) but was met with vitriol and/or ridiculous rationalizations from both fans and creators alike.

If you can't stand the heat, don't go into the kitchen, who lives by the sword... - well, you get the idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, youxia said:

Most of the ridicule both of these platforms got was perfectly deserved, because it started first as valid criticisms (of often ridiculous things) but was met with vitriol and/or ridiculous rationalizations from both fans and creators alike.

If you can't stand the heat, don't go into the kitchen, who lives by the sword... - well, you get the idea.

Yeah I've had friends of the CEO try to dox me and get me and others fired from jobs. Wives were contacted or called names. Then you have some members still trying to find me on other social media platforms. I wonder if they contacted them privately thinking it was me. Thankfully most of those individuals weren't long timers here and left when the CEO (er president) did.

I think that's why when Garvey and I had our interview he told me to turn off my camera because he knew how some were behind the scenes. Garvey wanted to do a second interview but I declined because a CEO (erm president) wanted to refute things I said despite wanting to see it succeed. (I'd still like it to succeed theoretically, but it isn't what it was pitched as).

It was always fun to hear the "back room" stories about what was going on in Amicoland. Funny how they wouldn't like some of the things they were encouraged to do, but would only talk privately about it and not discuss it publicly. ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Rev said:

I mostly stayed out the Amico Q&A thread for a long time.  

Some of those quotes from I.E. management didnt age well. 

Pretty much everything aged horribly. In hindsight it all seemed like hype to get more money with no real substance.

It was like they blew their money and time on things that didn't matter. The hardware and software should have been the first thing locked in. Instead we got shell colors. It's just "Ug". I really see this as having ruined any good attempt at Intv making any type of comeback. 

At least we know we will see a chunk of the games like Graviators, Dynablaster, Dolphin Quest (if gets funded) on other platforms. Maybe they can get their IP games finished and onto existing consoles.

• Like 1

I wager nearly everyone, including “haters” want Amico to release and succeed. Who actually would want a video game console to fail? Just because some people THINK it will fail doesnt mean it will. Thats where I.E. management failed, chasing down misinformation (opinions) and chastising everyone. Does Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Atari and Evercade do that? No

We are all just spectactors and commentors, we dont have a bearing on its success. The success of a console has traditionally been based on the  games.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rev said:

I wager nearly everyone, including “haters” want Amico to release and succeed. Who actually would want a video game console to fail? Just because some people THINK it will fail doesnt mean it will. Thats where I.E. management failed, chasing down misinformation (opinions) and chastising everyone. Does Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Atari and Evercade do that? No

We are all just spectactors and commentors, we dont have a bearing on its success. The success of a console has traditionally been based on the  games.  

Yeah people have been predicting Nintendos demise since at least the GameCube. Their response is to keep pumping out stuff. Some hits some misses. That's the way to do it by doing not saying.

That's a great point that thinking it will fail is not the same as wanting. I thought they would have a tough time reaching their primary market, and I was right. Doesn't mean I didn't want them to reach it.

But yeah the CEO (er president) was more interested in making fights and crusades than actually showing stuff or doing stuff. As far as chasing down misinformation they never did it if the information was positive about Amico even if untrue. I saw that a lot in the early days of the streams. If it might make you invest or pre-order they wouldn't touch it. ? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

Off topic.  

What a time to be alive where pretty much everything is viewable from phone/pc. Orwell would be proud his prediction was right. ?

Also off topic I forgot to mention earlier that Intellivania looks freaking cool.

• Like 2

You guys do understand that the UPS store sells/rents PO boxes for various businesses, right? Like, it's not at all strange for a company's mailing address to physically wind up being a post office or space leased from a 3rd party.

While that's not a great look for IE it also isn't the least bit odd. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, the1hatman said:

You guys do understand that the UPS store sells/rents PO boxes for various businesses, right? Like, it's not at all strange for a company's mailing address to physically wind up being a post office or space leased from a 3rd party.

Its only odd since they started with multiple offices worldwide and even went to lengths of making office tour videos, now reduced to a lowly UPS box and closed down offices. 

Perhaps a UPS box from the start and build the company up slowly?    Nah

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Looks like they are taking the Secret Lair idea to the next step. They really want to avoid making refunds. Putting Secret Lair on the front door was never a good way to keep it secret. ?

Screenshot_20220706-114059_Maps.thumb.jpg.778a1f654abd711b7a49feba3f7cc5f9.jpg

So Amicoland is now Yogurtland.  Nothing secret about that.  They aren't fooling me! ??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I agree with what you say.

One notable exception to the "nearly everyone, including “haters” want Amico to release and succeed" is Pat the NES Punk.  He publicly stated early on, in his own video, that he hoped the Amico would turn into the Coleco Chameleon specifically because it would be good for his channel's ratings.

That said, Pat is not to blame for the Amico's failures.

• Like 1

I think that pushy, narcissistic people are the ones that get things moving.  However, the Achilles heel seems to be not delegating those things they can't handle.  In this case public relations, working with manufacturers and keeping business costs down.

I haven't seen any hot topic or drama baiting video that convinces me things are worse.  Seems like whatever people left are trying to get something out.  But, that's just my uninformed opinion.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

I agree with what you say.

One notable exception to the "nearly everyone, including “haters” want Amico to release and succeed" is Pat the NES Punk.  He publicly stated early on, in his own video, that he hoped the Amico would turn into the Coleco Chameleon specifically because it would be good for his channel's ratings.

That said, Pat is not to blame for the Amico's failures.

I think that was a line fed by a CEO claiming they wanted it to while they would become the Chameleon of Podcaster. If memory serves initially they said if someone could make it work the CEO could. If you think that's wrong please find the video in which they said that and post it.

Pretty sure that was a CEO tactic to get people spun up to do this us vs them. Quite good manipulation tactic, because it distracted people from looking at the red flags.

50 minutes ago, the1hatman said:

Yes. It is funny because after 4 years all they have done is regress. All the claims of legitimacy and its going to happen because look at all these offices and 600 years of experience. It's just funny after seeing stuff like this. It is obvious priorities were not where they should be.  IMG_1448.thumb.JPG.8384bc9499d18f3da1aec89125372a3c.JPGIMG_1471.thumb.jpeg.5ec5860bebc23725acd156a9971de77c.jpegunknown-1.thumb.jpeg.e8bb0f5eb04a68c9612af8641fcdec89.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, youxia said:

Looking back most of my initial concerns and criticisms were not taken well by a certain former CEO and some Amico fans, but in 2022 those concerns and criticisms I expressed aged better than all the promises I.E. made. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, youxia said:

That's trying to justify the bad behaviour.  Each person is responsible for what they say.  There's a lot more people that see it than there are participating/reacting.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I think that was a line fed by a CEO claiming they wanted it to while they would become the Chameleon of Podcaster. If memory serves initially they said if someone could make it work the CEO could. If you think that's wrong please find the video in which they said that and post it.

Pretty sure that was a CEO tactic to get people spun up to do this us vs them. Quite good manipulation tactic, because it distracted people from looking at the red flags.

No, the CEO had nothing to do with Pat's quote.  Pat just straight-up said on camera that he hoped the Amico would turn into the Coleco Chameleon and that that would be great for his ratings.

I took a look for the video, but Pat has simply put out too many videos.  Also, this quote is not in his "Intellivision Amico Coverage" playlist (which alone has 53 videos at this point).

As an aside, if you recall the video you're thinking of, post a link here since it would also be interesting to see the quote you're referring to.  However, I suspect you might run into the same "flood of videos" problem I ran into.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gemintronic said:

I think that pushy, narcissistic people are the ones that get things moving.  However, the Achilles heel seems to be not delegating those things they can't handle.  In this case public relations, working with manufacturers and keeping business costs down.

They were also more interested in appearances (probably for fundraising purposes) than reality. I can't think of any other explanation for them pursuing this local business award for "Best Consumer Technology Innovation." https://octaneoc.org/hta-finalists-winners/

I like to be shown products rather than told about them, especially when far from final release. Lots of talk from this company but not enough action to back it up. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

No, the CEO had nothing to do with Pat's quote.  Pat just straight-up said on camera that he hoped the Amico would turn into the Coleco Chameleon and that that would be great for his ratings.

I recall this as well and it is not fake news.  Pat did say that.  However, as was also pointed out, he also said that he (and maybe Ian too) thought that the former CEO could possibly pull off the Amico. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

They were also more interested in appearances (probably for fundraising purposes) than reality. I can't think of any other explanation for them pursuing this local business award for "Best Consumer Technology Innovation." https://octaneoc.org/hta-finalists-winners/

I like to be shown products rather than told about them, especially when far from final release. Lots of talk from this company but not enough action to back it up. 

They showed us a lot.  When it was a concept, they showed us that concept.  They showed us how the controller works as it evolved.  They showed us games at various stages of development. 

But I agree they really shouldn't have.  It should have been kept private, shared with potential investors and partners.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Its only odd since they started with multiple offices worldwide and even went to lengths of making office tour videos, now reduced to a lowly UPS box and closed down offices.

Even that isn't odd. Many businesses choose to keep their mailing address separate from the main office for multiple reasons. That's why PO boxes exist. When the local post office is sold out, too far away or just too expensive folks often turn to a 3rd party lease for the service. 

I'm not defending IE and even stated it "wasn't a great look" for them. But a PO box is not a strange thing for a company to utilize and it wasn't clear that people knew the UPS Store offered such services.

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Yes. It is funny because after 4 years all they have done is regress. All the claims of legitimacy and its going to happen because look at all these offices and 600 years of experience. It's just funny after seeing stuff like this. It is obvious priorities were not where they should be.  

I didn't say it wasn't funny. It simply wasn't clear that people understood that the UPS Store has PO boxes for lease. In fact, that chain only exists because UPS bought out Mail Boxes Etc. and rebranded them. 

It also wouldn't have been odd if they had always used a PO box from the beginning despite all the fancy office space. That is a common practice for businesses even of the corporate size.

• Like 1