IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

13 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

That thread was a mess, no doubt about that.  But hey, now... I've never banned anyone from any thread, from criminals grifters to godly saints.  And I'm confident that's the same for most users on here.  Mods, sure.  The site's owner, maybe.  But as a collective, a community, no, we're not.

I get it, Albert owns the place it’s his gig ultimately. But he isn’t every person who posts here. AA acts as an easy intersection point for a series of niche hobbies and it’s frustrating watching lots and lots of people who post here erect a giant sign saying “We welcome your shady nostalgia schemes”

Edited by zapzapzac
  • Confused 3

22 minutes ago, zapzapzac said:

Why is fact checkers in quotes? Do you have an issue with reality? Is calling Tommy out for not being a fucking professional baseball player or Emmy winner a conspiracy against him?

Maybe you mist a post a few pages back, asking why no one that ever interviewed TT or anyone from Sega etc. ever corrected his claim?

So why every youtuber, journalist, reporter, columnist or co-workers ever called him out on his Sonic claim.  "fact checkers"

I actually don't care if he played baseball or won an award for chewing gum etc.  I want the Amico I preordered. I want games published for it, I want support for it, I want the backend infrastructure supported for years to come.

That is where I stand.  Why are you here?

26 minutes ago, zapzapzac said:

Hey there. We all saw the thread man. Hundreds of people were banned from the thread for questioning Tommy or not following the narrative. You're absolutely the tar and feather type. Just not for criminal grifters, apparently.

Hundreds of people were not banned from that thread, that's just ridiculous.  You've obviously come here with quite the bias against AtariAge and the community here, wasting no time at all going on the attack with your very first posts.  Why are you here?  If you want to discuss the Amico, fine, but please do so without making blanket statements about the members and the site that are simply not true.

..Al

• Like 14

Just now, Rev said:

Long after Amico is a faded memory, I hope the Mattel Intellivision name and legacy will heal. 

I am not at all worried about the Intellivision name and legacy.  The Intellivision and the Amico are hardly the same entity or history.

Based on ebay prices, Intellvision is doing pretty well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Hundreds of people were not banned from that thread, that's just ridiculous.  You've obviously come here with quite the bias against AtariAge and the community here, wasting no time at all going on the attack with your very first posts.  Why are you here?  If you want to discuss the Amico, fine, but please do so without making blanket statements about the members and the site that are simply not true.

..Al

Thanks for this great website/forum. We (most of us) appreciate it!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think even if you look at this thread you'll see that multiple users that are critical of the way it's been handled spend just as much time saying "We want it to come out, we want it to be successful, we just don't like XYZ" or similar.

Blindly taking up pitchforks and torches is no better than pretending everything is beyond criticism, and most of the users here would agree, I think.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

I certainly hope the Amico is going to be as great as all you guys are saying it's going to be!?

Im still willing to give it a chance. But they have to actually release it. 

We are closing in on 2 years (10/10/2020) and 17 million dollars later.  Evercade is on its 3rd iteration. 

Release the Amico or cancel it, its ridiculous, and we all know it. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

I am not at all worried about the Intellivision name and legacy.  The Intellivision and the Amico are hardly the same entity or history.

Based on ebay prices, Intellvision is doing pretty well.

Then why was all the promo and interviews showing and talking about Mattel Intv and mentioning having several Mattel members on the team. 

Making a direct connection to original console and it being a continuation of it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

As for Amico, I'd maintain that they're basically doing code-in-box releases with added technobabble and gimmickry. Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed.

Yup it isn't a physical game in any sense. Once servers go down you are out of luck and those are worthless trinkets. Selling those was such a scummy thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Welcome to AtariAge!   Hopefully you’ll find there’s a LOT more on here than just the random Amico nonsense and won’t restrict yourself to one nonexistent system and antagonizing the community like so many “new to AA, straight to Amico, stirring up shit, then gone” users that we’ve seen in the past.

Well, crap....

How many newbies are there left from Amico showing up? MarioMan and Pendelton? I told others the same thing and go explore the other areas. 

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Howabout you?  Why do you think more people like you, who had family and/or friends to “protect,” (like your brother you mentioned) never bothered to create an account and “call attention to this shit?”

Some may have felt like it would be pointless to make an account. 

37 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

It's always good to have differing opinions and a robust discussion, even with some of our jibes and fun poking. I can't speak for anyone else but I certainly don't mean any ill will in my joking around, and he does make some good points from time to time.

That is all that me and some others wanted. It was obviously not approved of by some and still isn't by some of those same people.

That was the whole point of me trying to do the other thread. If I had wanted to listen to manipulative marketing talk from a guy who would say anything to sell me a product I had the Q&A.

53 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I haven't watched any of the interviews and streams and such.  It's just nothing that interested me enough to give a crap about.  But I DID make it a point check that one out, because I, like many others, expected some sort of circus/shitshow/trainwreck and those are usually entertaining.  But yeah, it was rough.  I bounced not far into it.

Oooh... you gonna hurt some feelings when he reads that one  ?

They were huge wastes of time. Answers would change all the time. Manipulative wishcasting and mixed messaging frequently.

TonyTGD would do better now interviewing but he was a written medium guy,  but Tommy refused to do a written interview. Written interviews wouldn't allow him to do his hour long filibusters that would make people forget questions and such. His interview with Nick R was much better.

I think his feelings were really hurt when he wanted to do a stream with me and Garvey and I said I wasn't interested. Probably bruised his ego that someone didn't want to talk to the, hall of fame Yankee, who was totally the first American to work on Sonic if you ignore all preceeding Americans up to him, industry legend that he was. :P

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 2

Just now, MrBeefy said:

Yup it isn't a physical game in any sense. Once servers go down you are out of luck and those are worthless trinkets. Selling those was such a scummy thing to do. 

At this point, I'd think that customers for the Amico can count themselves lucky if the servers ever go up, let alone stay that way for any length of time.

Also, you'd still need a console to download them to, and there's not been a lot of movement on that front either.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rev said:

Long after Amico is a faded memory, I hope the Mattel Intellivision name and legacy will heal. 

For the wider world of gaming I think Intellivision will always be associated with Amico.

19 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I think even if you look at this thread you'll see that multiple users that are critical of the way it's been handled spend just as much time saying "We want it to come out, we want it to be successful, we just don't like XYZ" or similar.

Blindly taking up pitchforks and torches is no better than pretending everything is beyond criticism, and most of the users here would agree, I think.

Yup. Really the only people I know of who said they didn't want it to come out where the imaginary people the CEO at the time made up to rally up his own set of pitchforks.

I think ride or die attitudes towards stuff like this is why you will continue to have people exploit nostalgia like this because you are actively paying them for crappy business practices. That being said I still hope all of those ride or die folks get their stuff.

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

Then why was all the promo and interviews showing and talking about Mattel Intv and mentioning having several Mattel members on the team. 

Making a direct connection to original console and it being a continuation of it. 

Because that is all they really had.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

At this point, I'd think that customers for the Amico can count themselves lucky if the servers ever go up, let alone stay that way for any length of time.

Also, you'd still need a console to download them to, and there's not been a lot of movement on that front either.

Oh it is totally an overpriced plug and play console at this point in time. Whatever they get out will be it. Once they send out units to anyone not hand picked by them they lose what little control they have left of a narrative.

6 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Oh it is totally an overpriced plug and play console at this point in time. Whatever they get out will be it. Once they send out units to anyone not hand picked by them they lose what little control they have left of a narrative.

If it does, perhaps some enterprising modder could turn one into an actual footbath?

I'd think that's about the most exciting thing that could happen at this stage.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I get what you are saying, but outside of AA and a few YT channels.  Not many are aware of Amico. (yet)

And those of us who played Intellivision since Fall / Christmas 1980..  Can certainly distinguish between Mattel Intellivision through 1989.

What Keith put together in the mid 90's

An IE.

Even if you go to the IntellivisionLives.com / Blueskyrangers.com   You get an immediate branch between Intellvision and Amico.

I wish the whole Amico thing went down smooth and on 10102020 we all got our Amico. 

The Intellivision legacy continued via Retro Re-imagined Intellivision Classics.

As of this moment, IE/Amico is not generally known and may never go beyond the few of us here?

I am realistic, from the start I knew this would be a tough road.  I was always hoping for the best.  I still am.

I have always said, I want all gaming platforms to succeed.

I love choices and variety.  Life is short, I want to enjoy as much as I can!  Had a great day with my wife, we drove all around southern New England.  Beautiful day!  A little hot...  96 degrees.

But we had a nice lunch visit a few of our favorite haunts and met a few new people along the way.  All and all, a good day!

• Like 3

I hope "his brother" is not an investor ... at any rate "pointing the finger" at AA (or "most of you") is really uncalled for ... I like AA (and that is why I keep renewing year after year at the full price [no discount even if I could] ) and yes one day maybe we will get to know the how/why it went down the way it did (I am sure human nature has a part and many of the reasons about "going with it" have to do with good-faith/good-intentions and not on wanton disrespect/conspiracy).

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

So why every youtuber, journalist, reporter, columnist or co-workers ever called him out on his Sonic claim.  "fact checkers"

Here's a quick theory:

Maybe because Tommy was not interviewed by any 'real' journalist, reporter, or columnist? Afaik he has only been talking to a 'curated' selection of very, very small YouTubers. And YouTubers mostly make money (at least when they do) through sponsored content, which means they may not be completely objective (unless the sponsor has nothing to do with the subject, which is the case for the CUPodcast for instance). The closest thing to a journalist Tommy encountered was TonyTGD, and I really doubt he has a press card (not that it's needed to be a good journalist tbh). There was also the 'interview' at Nintendo Life, but it was more a guest editorial than anything else, Tommy's right of reply presented as an interview rather than a single wall of text.

When Pat and Ian started to say unpleasant things about Tommy and the Amico, Tommy did not ask to be interviewed by them, he invited them to try the Amico in his home, which is something a good journalist would not accept anyway.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I love that movie!

Regarding mr_me, I think he provides a good sanity check on a lot of things, even if I or others disagree with a lot of it.

It's always good to have differing opinions and a robust discussion, even with some of our jibes and fun poking. I can't speak for anyone else but I certainly don't mean any ill will in my joking around, and he does make some good points from time to time.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Rev said:

My theory here is that like Coleco and Atari before them,  they wanted the connection and especially around here it would have been good for sales;  They thought they would be the one to do it right, though,  and not drag the name through the mud...(Unfortunately it worked out about the same).

• Like 3

I'd like to point out that I Really hate Liars!   (Not gonna talk religion or politics though so I'll stop there... ;)

It is completely wrong to say I'm "Obsessed" with any of them, though.  (And yes, I realize this is a just a deflection technique to take focus off the liar and make it seem like I'm the bad guy).  Because it deals with things I do like,  (i.e. video games, marketing, new consoles, .etc.) I find this one a bit fascinating, and fitting my criteria when dealing with All large scale liars,  I want to see justice.  I want to see them caught in a lie, I want to watch them squirm, but ultimately I would find it neat if they learned from it.  That probably won't happen though,  Old Dog and New Tricks etc.

FWIW, (a snippet)...One of my Favorite lyrics (erroneously attributed to Cliff Burton) was written by German poet Paul Gerhardt.  Spoken at the end of "To Live is To Die" (Metallica)

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

He has been able to get away from it because in the grand scheme of things he hasn't been relevant for decades. Until he came to AA I had no real idea who he was nor ever watched the show he was on.

He made Amico about himself, and  turned it into the Streisand Effect. Not just on Amico but also on himself. Many didn't give two craps who he was and just wanted to discuss the console. He was the one who pushed that he was the expert, and built that us vs them. We are in an information highway and now that he has been more public with his nonsense more people are calling it out.

I'll admit I'd forgotten what The Streisand Effect was,  or maybe never knew...(Damn my once great memory not being now what it once was!!)

Anyhow I found this and thought it summed it up nicely:

16f07758-4fe6-4371-afde-c78f77762a01_170

• Like 4