IGNORED

Help Identifying a Game Boy Game

I had a guest this weekend who played a game boy game growing up where the main character "wore moccasins" and walked around collecting coins (every game ever, i know). 

Can anyone help me here?  Have done some digging but coming up blank.  Literally all i have to go on is the moccasins..

• Like 2

I looked through a list of all North American releases and don't see any likely candidates. 

I think she is probably remembering it wrong....moccasins were probably boots and it was probably something super common like Super Mario Land

I'm going to keep digging, thanks for the tips!  

• Like 1

I was thinking one of the Wario games, but those are all on Gameboy, GBC, GBA. 

This drives me crazy.  I'm going to track down this game! Lol

Her descriptions are so vague.  She's like "I just remember there were mountains in the background".  Thats like 50% of games!!!

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 1

Maybe it's Battle of Olympus? Perhaps she mistook the shield for a bag, and the shoes the player's character wears look a little bit like moccasins...?

Could also be Kid Icarus? or Little Samson? Or Rygar? Or Conquest of the Crystal Palace?

• Like 2

Thank you! Great suggestions. Going to send some screenshots of those games her way tomorrow. 

I know this is stupid but I love solving a mystery like this and it would be super fun to fire up this game for her that she hasn't played since childhood.  Thanks guys. 

• Like 2

It's not stupid, I've seen this brought up largely over Nintendo 8/16bit games for a good 20+ years online and it's always fun trying to solve the mystery with vague memories that are really an equal shot at being right as they are wrong, adds an element of mystery and confusion to see what sticks to the wall.  I was going to vote a couple choices, but they go tcalled so I'll back them up -- Whomp Em if it was not Gameboy but NES, but due to the other elements I thought Battle of Olympus worked too and that (though not in the US) did have a GB version as well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Thank you! Great suggestions. Going to send some screenshots of those games her way tomorrow. 

Screenshots might be enough, but if not, you should send her links to gameplay videos on YouTube. That may spark her memory more than still screenshots.

• Like 1

Mystical Ninja?  Wears japanese traditional shoes that look like them if you don't know what they are, and you can get powered up ones to run faster.  You collect coins constantly basically per kill about, and you can then turn around and pelt people with them as a distance weapon for the price of that coin.

• Like 1

And the Gameboy Game was Super Mario Land.

Close the case file on this one! 

Treasure freaking mountain....you gotta be kidding me.  Will probably pick it up for $5 on ebay just so she can have a whirl on my Powerbook 3400.  I do enjoy Learning Company games my kids will probably like it too. 

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Mystical Ninja?  Wears japanese traditional shoes that look like them if you don't know what they are, and you can get powered up ones to run faster.  You collect coins constantly basically per kill about, and you can then turn around and pelt people with them as a distance weapon for the price of that coin.

I totally thought this might have been it too! 

Any videos online of treasure mountain? 

• Like 1

He's in my favorite game of the era from that company, Ancient Empires.  It's like a soft version of tomb raider (think the GBC versions) with some decent little puzzle on the last space of each area and a basic nicely done general history lesson about the area too before going onto the next.  It's so well done it's almost a not edutainment game.

• Like 2