IGNORED

Software to showcase Ultimate 1MB RAM Expansion

Armitage

Hey all, I'm pretty new to Atari 8-bit in general and I just installed my first Ultimate 1MB upgrade. Now I want to make sure I don't miss any software that can make use of the various RAM expansion modes it supports, at least what's available for my NTSC machine. What are your favorite must-try programs/demos/etc.? Thanks!

• Like 1

@ArmitageATARIBLAST! is a great one for showcasing it, as is Space Harrier, and the demo bad Apple is always a good one. 

Hardware wise getting a SIDE3 cart (which is currently having its brand new recently released beta firmware tested) really takes advantage of the U1MB and has full FATFMS read and write support, it's own FAT dos and much more. PDM Streaming music files too. 

See here:

Edit: BTW I am assuming you have the latest U1mb firmware rather than the 10year old one? ?

Edited by Beeblebrox

Good demo Peri! :D Not sure if it works on NTSC either.

@Armitage

There are several 320k demos that might work on NTSC, but where they do work the colour pallete will be off. Thinking of NEAR, UNMEC, and Cyberpunk.

Check out this 320K demo search on Fandal's website - a lot of them are there: https://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?name=&butt_details_x=x&search=320xe&from=50

Also being released this year in the Autumn is this new game which requires 1MB:

Edited by Beeblebrox

I'm new to the U1MB world too.   I've always primarily used AtariMax MyIDE2 (along with MyBIOS and Sys-Check2, which is a great combination for expanding memory and/or alternate OS without any hardware mods needed, in my opinion).

And also the S-Drive Max device, which is also really useful.

Or I still use SIO2PC-USB with APE straight off my PC.  

I recently installed U1MB and it is up and running, but I haven't done much with it yet. 

I am thinking I will probably get a SIDE3 before I make the "full plunge" into the U1MB world. 

Seems very cool so far!

All that said, what are most "U1MB folks" doing for ATR image loading/execution and manipulation?

PS: I too am interested in the OP question about suggested things (games/demos) that really showcase the U1MB capabilities.  But I also just want to know best way to use it in a daily driver... load some XEX files, load some ATR images, etc. ?

-Eric

4 minutes ago, erichenneke said:

I'm new to the U1MB world too.....

... what are most "U1MB folks" doing for ATR image loading/execution and manipulation?

As SIDE3 is undergoing the new firmware beta testing, aside the link I posted above, also best check out FJC's website for the loader:

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/side3-beta-loader/

And check out this part 1 video:

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I have tried Space Harrier, Bad Apple, and Atariblast! and they all work great. I should have mentioned I am using a SIDE3 cart as well. I don't have the latest firmware installed on either, so the SIDE3 plugins aren't loaded in the U1MB yet but I'll get it updated shortly. I'll see if any of those demos work on NTSC too.

@Armitage cool. SIDE3 and U1MB combined is already very powerful with the last Side3 firmware, let alone the beta. (Remember the absolute latest side3 firmware is a beta and is currently being bug tested by the community. If you want to use the previous side3 firmware it's on FJC's website too.) 

Either way you should defo update  U1MB to the latest firmware from July last year ver 4.0 I believe. Also on FJC's website.

FYI I usually flash the 512 Rom with the Side3 plugin built in called U1MBs3.rom which sits in the Rom folder which you use the uflash software to flash on the top slot. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

There are .xex file versions  of many expanded memory games so people that have the memory don't have to have the cart version or Side 1/2/3 or MyIDE 2 to run these games. But if you don't have expanded memory then you need the cart or Side/MyIDE/etc. versions. Only demos and digitized/PCM/COVOX music files require expanded memory and/or a CF/SD solution to run them.