IGNORED

Season 20 Round 15 - Guerilla War

asponge

Also, I finally read the manual.  Pressing Select pauses the game and shows your score and your remaining lives.  Pressing Start pauses the game but shows nothing.

You can choose your starting stage and difficulty from the opening menu by pressing A or B and then start.  I have simply been pressing start and getting into the game, so @asponge I suggest the rules be amended to make sure everyone is starting the game the same way.

Also - when you get to the minecar stage you can apparently speed up or slow down by pressing up/down.

• Like 1

Honest opinion? The game has too much on screen at once. Had this been released for the SNES then maybe, but as it is, the game is impossible to play legit. Way too much slowdown, way too much flicker.

Are video games supposed to put people in the ER? The amount of flicker here would put the 2600 port of pac man to shame

I only got 303800. I won't go any further than that. Do us all a favor guys and pick something next year that won't give me eye strain

4 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

Honest opinion? The game has too much on screen at once. Had this been released for the SNES then maybe, but as it is, the game is impossible to play legit. Way too much slowdown, way too much flicker.

Are video games supposed to put people in the ER? The amount of flicker here would put the 2600 port of pac man to shame

I only got 303800. I won't go any further than that. Do us all a favor guys and pick something next year that won't give me eye strain

NES games flicker, get over it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

If you are playing in an emulator, look for something like this:  image.png.50697440bc3820c44e7f01e41bb1f37e.png

In fecux that is under Config -> Video

• Like 1

Dang it!  Got to the final stage with some lives to spare and thought "This is it!," but die once/lose weapon and it's all over (at least for me).

And sadly, that's the last chance I'll have to play today, so it'll be after the deadline before I can beat this one with no continues.   

I'm also looking forward to putting some time in the arcade version of this.  I'm pretty sure I have it on the SNK collections for PS4/Switch. 

GW1604700.jpg.c7b6fa087e4edd2bcd92ffb62bc24d2c.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dashopepper said:

Having a joystick and turbo was a huge help in this game. The controls were not great with a nes controller.

I should try that. I've been enjoying the game, but haven't been doing really well. I think I'm being too careful not to kill any hostages that I end up dead myself...

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

I should try that. I've been enjoying the game, but haven't been doing really well. I think I'm being too careful not to kill any hostages that I end up dead myself...

Yeah, I had that hostage issue, too, and finally realized the 1000 points aren't worth the risk for the most part.   My best scores came from saying "eff those guys."     I figure if a player masters finishing the game, then learning to finish PLUS hostages is kinda the "next level mastery" to squeeze out those extra points.

Also, think of it this way -- you only lose 500 points for shooting a hostage.  But you gain 1000 points for shooting a pig, chicken, or rat.  Shows how much value they put on those guys.

• Haha 1

Well, the NES Advantage did not give me an advantage. Turning it in for this one, tho I see myself going back in the future, maybe check out some other stages with level select. Great scores here!

@Dashopepper, I've also been using a top loader and four score! Tho I found that when playing 1943, I couldn't add the advantage into the four score b/c it was glitching on me. Can't remember exactly, maybe it was messing up the turbo? Anyway, I like the extra length with the four score, but especially like being able to swap out controllers mid-game if I want without fear of messing anything up by touching the system.

Edited by fakecortex
added last part

Glad you all had fun with this one.  There's some great scores here, especially for first time players.

Points Awarded:

Razzie.P     1,604,700   +25
wongojack    1,010,900   +20
Frozone212     303,800   +17
mbd39          285,100   +14
fakecortex     180,300   +12
Dashopepper    176,900   +10

Congratulations to fakecortex for winning season 20 and by quite a margin!  Here is the final scoreboard.  Thanks to everyone who participated.  You all make running this thing worth while.  I don't yet have a start date for season 21, but I will post something soon after the site migration is complete.  See you next season!

Season 20 Final Standings:

Scoreboard.thumb.png.359e22cbe5897464bb3c0d385063b578.png

• Thanks 2

Great season everyone! I had a ton of fun. The NES is my fav system, and I love trying out games that I may have never or rarely played, as well as really digging into favorites. I'm very pleased to have won 3 rounds this season as well (and discovered how much I ended up liking Dracula?!). I love competing here and breathing new life into these old games.

Thanks to @asponge for always running a great club! Amazing job everyone; there are some insane scores you guys put up. Special shout out to @wongojack who jumped in to play some baseball (and prove that there's depth to it after all, haha) and stuck around for the whole shebang. I'm looking forward to next season! See ya on the other side of the migration!

• Like 3