IGNORED

AtariAge Forum Upgrade / Migration on Tuesday, August 9th

Albert

23 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Any chance of updates to the blogs?

Invision hasn't been making any significant changes to the blog functionality, so don't get your hopes up on it being much improved.  After the migration, I can evaluate the current state of the blogs and look into paying a third party to make improvements. Invision does have a blog on their own site and it does look rather nice, but I'm not sure they are even using their own Blog module!

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/

I'll have to dig into this later, I remember someone saying they weren't using their own blog module and were instead using a custom "Pages" application (Pages is a module that allows you to write custom, database-driven applications, something I'd definitely like to try my hand at at some point).

..Al

At the end of the day, when it's all said and done, it is what it is. No use crying over spilt milk. Speaking of milk, clouds look like milk poured into a fish tank, but that doesn't mean AtariAge floating in the cloud is fishy. I've been in the mountains and I can assure you that a cloud doesn't smell like milk or fish. As the old saying goes, if you slap a man with a fish, he'll stink for a day. Teach a man to slap himself with a fish and he'll stink for a lifetime.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Invision hasn't been making any significant changes to the blog functionality, so don't get your hopes up on it being much improved.  After the migration, I can evaluate the current state of the blogs and look into paying a third party to make improvements. Invision does have a blog on their own site and it does look rather nice, but I'm not sure they are even using their own Blog module!

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/

I'll have to dig into this later, I remember someone saying they weren't using their own blog module and were instead using a custom "Pages" application (Pages is a module that allows you to write custom, database-driven applications, something I'd definitely like to try my hand at at some point).

Thanks - I appreciate that. The blog software is so bad now, I've still got dozens of broken links from their last "update".

I'd be perfectly happy detonating the Invision blogs, if the old content could be transferred over to, well, anything else.

• Like 1

Imagine if you will, something goes devastatingly wrong... backup databases are destroyed and the ONLY threads to survive the update are...

...the never-ending obsessive-compulsive armchair-expert-rambling Amico threads. That can't be hidden! ???    ?

• Haha 10

Kidding aside, I did have a thought regarding the forum software lately. When clicking on a thread title, it would be nice if that link took you directly to the beginning of the thread. Only when clicking on the 'replies' link, would it take you to the bottom of the thread. Swear, I've seen that behavior before in some threads here, but doesn't seem consistent. 

There's many times when browsing (especially one with several pages) that you want to catch up on a particular thread, so linking directly to the beginning would be convenient. A 'for sale' thread is one good example where this would be handy. Save some clicks since you know the latest reply is usually just a bump. 

• Like 1

Hello Albert

Which time zone are you in?  I know Cupertino is 9 hours behind Central Europe, so 10 in the morning there is 19:00 in the evening here.  Meaning that if you're in the same time zone and you start at 09:00 in the morning, we here in Europe can access AtariAge up until 18:00 hours Central European (daylight savings) time.

Sincerely

Mathy

1 hour ago, Albert said:

No.

Damn.  That's very disappointing.  Myself, and others, have sorely missed this front page convenience since you removed it many months back.  Don't understand why it was done in the first place as there is plenty of room on the right side panel for status updates.

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

Damn.  That's very disappointing.  Myself, and others, have sorely missed this front page convenience since you removed it many months back.  Don't understand why it was done in the first place as there is plenty of room on the right side panel for status updates.

Can simply click on Status Updates when logged in, or My Activity Streams/Status Updates if not. 

After exploiting a glitch in the Status Updates pane with the last update, some people couldn't help themselves and felt compelled to spam it up with several "topics" of their own. Completely monopolizing it. 

If that's the way it's going to be, good riddance!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

After exploiting a glitch in the Status Updates pane with the last update, some people couldn't help themselves and felt compelled to spam it up with several "topics" of their own. Completely monopolizing it. 

I'm pretty sure Invision made this change intentionally, but it would be possible to modify it so that it only shows a single status update from any given user. 

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

If that's the way it's going to be, good riddance!

There are a few reasons I removed the status updates. Yes, it could be abused by people spamming status updates.  Unfortunately, some people abused the status updates by posting content that is not allowed on the forum (politics and religion, for instance).  Or they'd use status updates to complain after being moderated elsewhere in the forum.  Or use them to attack other members.  And because members can delete status updates, people would sometimes do this and delete the offending update(s) before a moderator could take action (reports would still be visible, even if the status updates were removed).  Several people lost access to the status updates functionality because of these abuses.

Unfortunately, the allure of posting something that would be highly visible on the front page of the forum made it ripe for abuse, and this is why we can't have nice things.

..Al

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Albert: Thanks for all the hard work you do for AtariAge. Best of luck on the upgrade and migration.

Everyone else: Now is a good time to become a subscriber (it always is). There's benefits when you purchase from the store, and more. If nothing else, it's an appreciation for AtariAge and Albert!

https://atariage.com/forums/store/category/1-subscriptions/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2