IGNORED

REAL Atari Carina II BBS online and accessible via the Inter

chad5200

The Dark Side of the Moon BBS (DSOM) originally ran from 1985 to 1989 on an Atari in the Chicagoland area.

DSOM is back and running Carina II on a REAL ATARI 130XE! This is NOT an emulator!

You can now "call" DSOM over the internet. But you have to use a telnet program that supports ATASCII mode (Atari ASCII). First, you will need to get ATS 2.0 (Atari Terminal Simulator) from www.atarimax.com and then

connect to "dsom.sytes.net". Just like the old days, only one person can be connected at a time. If someone is connected to it when you try to call, you will receive a message telling you to try again in a few minutes.

There may be bugs with the board... it may lock up on you... etc. Please email me at dsombbs@home.net if you encounter a problem and if you could include a screen shot (alt-printscreen) that would be great! I predict that at first, the board will be down more than it is up while I work out the

bugs.

Yes... there are online games... including RoboWar II and Zenobia!!!

I plan on adding a lot of stuff to the board... especially old archive material such as old user lists, messages, bulletins, text files, etc. It is a work in progress.

Anyways, go at it and let me know what you think.

Chad

aka Dioskilos

You are going to be a very bad influence on me. I'd really like to know what you had to do to get the system up and running on a real 130XE connected to the Internet. I would love to put Phantmasmal Alchemy back online, which was a Carina II BBS I ran many years ago. For those who don't know, the RoboWar II game that Chad mentioned was written by myself and a friend.

I tried connecting to your BBS but it's been busy the last ten minutes or so. Just like in the old days! Ha ha! I'm taking a short break from packing, but I'll try again later before I go to bed.

..Al

Another Atari BBS on the net -- cool! And a real one, at that -- that must have been quite a feat, particularily considering you'd have had to do all the coding in BASIC.

I haven't been on a Carina board in many, many years. Back in the day most boards were BBS Express! Pro or Oasis. (I was in the latter camp, being a beta tester and writing modules for it) I was only on one Carina board at the time -- The Neverending Story BBS in Toronto.

I'll have to check it out. BTW, is ATS any relation to AT1, the one I've been using to call the likes of Closer to Home?

I just got back from visiting Chad's board. Man, was that a trip! Now I'm even more encouraged to fire up some of my 8-bit hardware and setup Phantasmal Alchemy again. Here's a screenshot I took while visiting:

RoboWar2.png

I can't wait to look at that code again to see how horrible it is..

..Al

Ok, this is great. I never had a chance to use BBS's years ago, because I never had a modem. So even though I've been an avid 8-bit user since '85, It'll be a new experience for me.

I have a very important question about this BBS though; you have it running on a real 130xe, I'd like to use it with a real 130xe. I have the SIO2PC cable and APE software, so I have access to my PC's modem, but what terminal software do I need to get online and access your BBS? Will something like Bobterm work? I've never been online on anything but a PC and Mac, so I need some help here...I'm hoping that the only way to get online IS NOT through emulation, otherwise it takes the fun out of it for me and I could suddenly care less; it's becomes just another internet site for my PC that I have to use an emulator for and that just doesn't do it for me. Remember, I don't have the nostalgia that you guys do, emulator or not, because I never got the chance before...

• 1 month later...

Shadow the last author of Carrina BBS was a Member on my BBS for years. I ran BBS Epress Pro but had a DL sig for Carrina mods and have them on CD rom now if you need anything I may just have it. My BBS was in Miami Fl and my good friend Jeff Worley (Technoid Mutant) ran 'Cheeze Daddys house of Funk' with Carrina. Ring any Bells?

Atari8Man

• 17 years later...

Yea please bring it back.. i would imagine running it on real (and getting rarer) hardware might not be the best way to go - but just for the experience I hope more people run them in an emulated environment.. I’ve wanted to do it.. just havent found the time and the things i am interested in would generate no callers anyway lol..

On 9/26/2019 at 11:26 PM, doctor_x said:

Yea please bring it back.. i would imagine running it on real (and getting rarer) hardware might not be the best way to go - but just for the experience I hope more people run them in an emulated environment.. I’ve wanted to do it.. just havent found the time and the things i am interested in would generate no callers anyway lol..

If it concerns phreaking , I would be interested in it.
Always have been interested in (tele)communications