IGNORED

Good PC Controllers?

Ze_ro

I'm thinking of replacing my old Gravis Gamepad Pro, but I'm unusure as to what to look into as a replacement. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd love to get an X-Arcade or a Slik Stick, but I definitely don't have that kind of money. This one looks quite nice (Microsoft makes crappy software, but I've found that they actually make pretty good hardware), has anyone tried it?

I'd mostly be using the joystick for MAME, so a D-pad is essential, and 6 face buttons is preferred (I play a lot of Street Fighter games). Something with two analog sticks would also be nice for stuff like Smash TV and Robotron, but I very much dislike the PSX controller shape (one of the reasons I'm trying to dump my Gravis).

I guess pretty much all gamepads these days are USB, huh? I have USB ports, but I've never actually used them for anything at all... plus, I'm running Linux primarily, so Linux support is a must.

--Zero

Better get in quick if you're getting one of those, Microsoft are pulling out of the PC game controller market, and will only make mice and keyboards.

I've got a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad, and they are really pretty good for the price. However, with all of those gamepads, I find that diagonals are relatively tricky to achieve.

I got a two player X-Arcade for my birthday last week though, and it's absolutely fantastic for MAME! One player versions are available for a bit less....

I have a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad too. I don't really like the D-pad on it, though. The analog sticks are good, and I like having that little slider for the throttle, though.

It has six face buttons, a left and right trigger, a throttle slider, two analog sticks, and a d-pad. And what appears to be a start button.

i have that one you pictured. i never really got into having a game pad, but the more i think about it the more i relize its a must have for emulators. i doubt id be able to find it, but that one always worked well for me. and im not sure about micro$oft pulling out of the game controller market, they are probably 2nd, next to logitech controllers

I'm thinking of replacing my old Gravis Gamepad Pro
Great idea.

I LOATHE the GPP. Only d-pad I've ever used where diagonals are easier to hit than "true" directions.

I use a Wingman Action.

6 face puttons + start, 2 shoulder buttons, a d-pad, a throttle slider, an analog thumbstick, and a mode button to change which directional device the computer sees as 2 analog axes and which it sees as a hat-switch.

On the down side, I had to do some exploratory surgery because a plastic tab broke off the d-pad and fell into the way of the mechanism, making it impossible to use properly.

The trick to opening it is the throttle slider pulls straight out, BTW.

i have that one you pictured. i never really got into having a game pad, but the more i think about it the more i relize its a must have for emulators. i doubt id be able to find it, but that one always worked well for me. and im not sure about micro$oft pulling out of the game controller market, they are probably 2nd, next to logitech controllers

Microsoft are discontinuing their entire Sidewinder range. Gamepads, steering wheels, the lot. They say there's not enough money in it. The only peripherals they are going to manufacture are keyboards and mice.

And the XBox accessories.

Well, yeah, of course. But as this thread is "Good PC Controllers", I figured it would be a given that the only controllers talked about would be for the PC.

OK, the only PC peripherals Microsoft are going to make will be keyboards and mice....

I went to Radio Shack today, and they had this Logitech Rumblepad for about $30 (Although I'd rather get it from some store that doesn't ask for my address and phone number... I've seen it at other stores too)... it seems to have all the features I was looking for, and it felt fairly comfortable. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the buttons are a little odd... they're rectangular, and a little hard to press. Might loosen up after a while though. It seemed the best out of all the ones they had, but my recent Gamecube purchase has left me a little broke for the moment... I guess I'll have to think about it.

I also tried out that Microsoft pad, and I didn't much like it. It didn't fit in my hands very well, the D-pad didn't feel very good at all, it lacked most of the features I wanted, and I think it was the same price as the Logitech pad.

--Zero

I think you could get the Logitech Rumblepad for cheaper than $30. I remember Wal-Mart having a bunch in stock for about $20 several months back, though they may not have any now.

I don't see the big deal with Radio Shack asking for your address and phone number. I've bought lots of things there and all I've gotten in my mailbox is the occasional flyer.

I think you could get the Logitech Rumblepad for cheaper than $30.  I remember Wal-Mart having a bunch in stock for about $20.

$30 Canadian is about the same as $20 American. I've seen cheaper controllers, but most of them look worse than the Gravis pad I have now.

--Zero

I actually have and love my Gravis Exterminator Digital. It is USB has the throttle, Analog thumb control and standard D-pad below. Shoulder buttons, trigger buttons, 6 primary buttons, HAT, and Shift button to assign 2nd functions to the buttons.

Basically it is the best Gamepad I have ever gotten or had. It doesn't have rumble, but then I don't miss that much.

;)

Got a Hammerhead FX 3dfx from Interact. Its been good to me .Had to get used to the D-pad but its sweet.6 face buttons like Genesis & Saturn layout,four shoulder buttons (2 at top other 2 alittle more behind)2 analog pads,rumble on/off button and Profile editor button.Its been great for all windows games I have.

I use one of my xbox s controllers on my pc. I just spliced a usb cable into an xbox extension cable and that gives me the use of the s controller on the pc or xbox. Works great and its the best gamepad I have used on the pc.

Interesting, would you care to explain a bit more please?

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/xbox_contr...r_to_pc_usb.htm

;)