IGNORED

Mogul Maniac Update

atari70s

Hi all just a quick update,

I am now convinced liek Tempest has stated that this is a ECPC cart and not a prototype. Now with my learning of Mr. Jay Miner's passing away my luck of finding any info about this cart and the history and plans of it are that much slimmer.

However, i did manage to do some scrubbin around on the web and found out a close to completeing Deal in 1983 Between Amiga and atari where atari would get a whole bunch of computer chips which commodore bought out a struggling Amiga at $4.25 a share. 4 times what atari woudl pay. that said i assume this atari 2600 classic was in the mists of being done for atari 8 bit maybe as a demo to how the carts worked??? that is still unclear to me. but the question lingers on how did ROMOX get a copy to burn it.

Myu guessing and investigating is bringing me to the idea maybe it was a early chip in developmetn with the game on it. from there atari licenced it to ROMOX thus the cart. or under Commodore's buying out Amiga allowed Amiga to produce the cart and later sell off to ROMOX in 1983/84.

Right now i have caled for 3 websites including S.P.A.C.E. (St Paul Atari Computer Enthusiaists) to help in a research project that shoudl answer all questions.

i will let you know what happens

• 4 years later...

Ok 5 years later i have gotten nowheres. i am opening this case up once again. Not at this point. saying is it a proto or not but more about gathering info on the lists of burnable roms for the atari 8 bit Romox chips and people who might have been working with them . Wheater it was apart of Romox or Amiga. I lost base with the people who sold this cart to me.

TO my knowledge it was given as a tester to a dealer in Texas in 1983. He never returned it and it sat . The family moved to New Jersey , the father died, and the son sold it at a garage sale with Romox Topper, SeaChase and an Atari 800 for $1.00. The Son claimed they had other interesting atari Items that never made it to the light of day , but i never saw proof of that. or even a list of what he had else. I figure this cart was enough of a project for me. Where would be a good place to start searching again. Since 2001 who here would be the best to get in contact with to talk about this cart with. thank you in advance

jason

• 2 months later...

Ok another year later i didnt think there was gonna be any new info but i got an interesting PM today.

"I got an email today during one of the contests on AA.

i asked him if he can find any email adresses that i can try to track

down cause this might be a viable lead that might get some answers and

maybe the elusive ROMOX Station.

"Sorry, this copy of Mogul Maniac is for the 2600. I didn't specify the

platform in the contest in order to make it a little bit harder for

contestants.

I've never seen a (non-hacked) copy of MM for the A8. I believe that

either Andre or Nir may have a copy of this -- possibly burned onto one

of those Romox EPROMS -- but can't confirm. "

now i am working on finding out who Andre and Nir is.

more ???s than !!!!'s

that was more the ending that made any interest to me . it might end up being nothing but maybe someone here knows these people ( either handle name here or on RGVC or Digital Press i dont know. but i figure id toss it out to u.

Amiga developed the game, never released it for reasons that need to be clearly determined and the rights were probably just sold to Romox...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Yep. They never released the game because they killed off all non-Amiga stuff back in late 83 early 84 due to financial difficulties. This is the same reason that Off Your Rocker was manufactured but never released.

A similar thing happened with the 20th Century Fox 8-bit games. They were developed but never released and Romox got them. Most of their other stuff was just disk based 8-bit games that they decided to release on cartridge.

Tempest

• 6 years later...