IGNORED

Favorite game on 8-bit

Bill Lange

I haven't even heard of some of these games!

Albert - I remember when I was a senior in grade school - better known as 8th grade, I brought my shiny new Atari 400 over to a friend from schools house. He or should I say his father had an Apple II(something). I hook my 400 up and he was playing Star Raiders on it. He showed me Ultima I on the Apple. I couldn't wait for Ultima I to come out for the Atari ... of couse I had to buy a disk drive to play it.

I also remember playing Track & Field for hours trying to beat my brothers. Of couse we broke a couple of joysticks on that one.

Twenty replies and no one mentioned

BOULDER DASH???

All the games you guys have mentioned are great, here are some more:

Mr. Do (best arcade translation ever)

Encounter!

Xagon (shareware)

Journey To The Planets

JTTP is a visual puzzle game: you land on several planets and solve moving/shooting puzzles on each one to gain a treasure. The graphics are really crude and the colors are weird, but that's what makes it great: you really feel like you're in an eerie, hostile alien land with its own rules.

Agent USA

Sure, it's an educational title for kids, but you can still have a great time scooting all over the USA out-fuzzing the FuzzBomb. Who knew learning about states, capital cities, and time zones could be so much fun?

• 1 year later...

Hi there!

With so many people in this thread mentioning "Blue Max" as their favourite game on the Atari 8-Bit computers, I must say that I was somewhat disappointed when I tried playing this version.

I think the C64 version was much better. Anyone agreeing here? 8)

Greetings,

Manuel

Journey To The Planets would have been a great game...if it wasn't for that blasted "Anchors Aweigh!" tune that repeats endlessly (Arrrgh!).

But yeah, Roklan games are pretty good. I recommend Diamond Mine, Wizard Of Wor, Gorf, and Deluxe Invaders.

Let's do the Time Warp agaiiin!

Man, what's the deal with people digging up ancient threads lately? :? :D

I, of course, have to add a few of my favorites. Since I didn't have a disk drive during most of the time that I had my 130XE, I missed out on quite a few games during the day. However, I had plenty of cartridges for my 130XE, so naturally most of my favorites are cartridge games. Having said that, probably my favorite 8bit game back in the day was Defender. No matter how much I played it, I always had to go back for more. That was one of the first games that I was literally addicted to. A few more of my favorites:

Alternate Reality:The City (never played The Dungeon much)

Eastern Front

Hardball

Basketball (don't ask me why)

Rescue on Fractalus

Almost all of the Ultimas

Qix

Wow, I forget how many great games there are on the 8-bit.

My list goes like this:

Ultima IV

AR: Dungeon

Realm of Impossibility

MULE

Ballblazer

Lode Runner

(and all the other ones mentioned really...)

One of my favorite games was David's Midnight Magic. Of course the game didn't really come alive until we broke my TAC2 joystick playing Decathalon and I decided to wire up the two buttons to play David's Midnight Magic. I've had some insane scores on that game over the years using that joystick. I think my lifetime high is around 750,000... haven't seen a dumped game from the net with a higher score yet. Anyone play this much?

One of my favorite games was David's Midnight Magic.  Of course the game didn't really come alive until we broke my TAC2 joystick playing Decathalon and I decided to wire up the two buttons to play David's Midnight Magic.  I've had some insane scores on that game over the years using that joystick.  I think my lifetime high is around 750,000... haven't seen a dumped game from the net with a higher score yet.  Anyone play this much?

Yes, I forgot to add it to my list! That and Track & Field (complete with separate two button controller) were also favorites of mine. Unfortunately, I can't remember what my high score was around on that game, as I haven't played it in over a decade. I'm sure you have mine beat, though. :D

One of my favorite games was David's Midnight Magic

That was a great game! Did you like it better than "Night Mission Pinball", though?

Yes, I could never get into Night Mission Pinball. I guess I preferred the simplicity of DMM and the ball action seemed better to me. All this is going by memory though.... I also owned a legit copy of DMM and only had a pirated copy of Night Mission Pinball.

The key to DMM is to fill the ball hopper and then start racking up the multipliers. I think I've played that game thousands of times since I bought it, and my highest score ever was attained just recently after fixing my old modified TAC2 joystick to make better contacts on the buttons.

(alphabetical order) All Games are great:

Archon

Bounty Bob strikes back

Boulder Dash

Bruce Lee

Encounter

Henry's House

International Karate

Karateka

Master of the lamps

Masters of time

M.U.L.E

Rescue on Fractalus

Spelunker

The great american cross country road race

The last V8

Warhawk

Zybex

Hi there!

With so many people in this thread mentioning "Blue Max" as their favourite game on the Atari 8-Bit computers, I must say that I was somewhat disappointed when I tried playing this version.

I think the C64 version was much better. Anyone agreeing here? 8)

Greetings,

Manuel

I used to own a C64 for a while (I sold it after deciding that it wasn't any better overall than my Atari XE that I've had for years and have had a love affair with, also I couldn't get used too, or develop the patience for the PITIFULLY SLOW 1541 disk drives! :o ), and I honestly don't remember if I had Blue Max for it, but, I do remember comparing Blue Max 2001 on both and was shocked at how much better the Atari version was over the C64 version (like all the on-ground animation and much smoother scrolling and control)! Other than that, most games for the two systems, as far as I'm concerned, were about 50-50 as to which were better and when one was better than the other, it wasn't enough of an improvement to make any difference which one I played, so I just stuck to the Atari version I was used too. I will have to look up the C64 version and find an emulator to see it's version of Blue Max though... :ponder:

There was a point at which atari 8 bit development stopped, and the c64 eventually trounced the 8 bit. Which really pisses me off, cause the atari 8 bit had better gfx & sound hardware. It just didn't have anywhere near the software development of the c64. If atari had been a little more agressive with their pricing and marketing, who knows, we might be using atari 13000xe's right now :-)