IGNORED

Anyone know what happened with Sean Kelly's MULTICARTS?

MsPacBitch

I think Activision in particular is still marketing the older games. If you notice most if not all of the Activision ROMS are not included here at AA either...not sure if they asked him to knock it off or someone else or what...but...for whatever reason, he is not making them anymore. 4-Jays had a few left in stock for like $220 or so last time I checked...you might check there if you are looking for one.

Mock :D

Probably because they contain IP NOT OWNED by Sean. "Just a guess."

I could be wrong, but I believe Atari and a couple of other IP holders are hip to it as well.

I thought that I had heard that they were keeping their eyes peeled.

"I could be wrong though." ;-)

Yeah, probably am.

- Ken

At least it's not an R Kelly Multicart.

(clears throat,)

'I believe my multicarts can fly, over all the IPS out there so people can play these games cause the IP owners arent selling em or supporting em anyway.... and I believe I can sing, and whoever told me that should be shot'

At least it's not an R Kelly Multicart.

(clears throat,)

'I believe my multicarts can fly, over all the IPS out there so people can play these games cause the IP owners arent selling em or supporting em anyway.... and I believe I can sing, and whoever told me that should be shot'

I think the R Kelly multicart was seen with some younger multi-carts recently.. :D

As far as I know, someone at Activision contacted the IDSA about the multi-carts and they in turn asked Sean to stop, which he did.

I'm sure whoever that person is, they contacted other companies to report him as well. ;)

I could be wrong though.

John

You might be right, John. ;-)

Then again, you maybe be wrong.

Think I had also heard that they were gonna' keep an eye on several nameless boards out there as well.

Happy collecting!

Hugs and Kisses,

- Ken

What's really funny to me Ken is why a company like Activision would be so vehement about defending their old videogame roms (probably not without some prodding from one of their producers) when they're guilty of releasing software that contains games they don't own. (ie. the Imagic games on Anthology).

It was in this topic on the 19th of March that you stated Activision owned the Imagic 2600 games...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22812

But then on April 11th I became aware of an email from George Rose, Sr. VP and General Counsel at Activision, asking for help in proving that Activision bought the Imagic assets. This was almost a full month after you stated that fact to be true.

I would be willing to chalk it up to the red tape involved in getting information from one dept. to another within a big company like Activision, except that I spoke to Bill Grubb again today and he says that the rights were not purchased by Activision back then and that they're not owned by Activision today.

Unless a deal has been worked out recently (which seems unlikely since Bill had no knowledge of this), I can only assume that either Activision is using the roms illegally or a deal was made without contacting Bill (who would definitely have to be involved in something like this).

Let us know what you find out as I'm only going on the little information I have in addition to my conversations with Bill.

Best Wishes,

John

Why is all that legal bullshit getting so important now? :roll:  

I am afraid, in the end lawyers and especially people calling for lawyers might ruin our hobby. :sad:

I agree Thomas. I think it's ridiculous that Activision has its lawyers running around worrying over old roms. I'm sure there's better things to do.

John

I think it's ridiculous that Activision has its lawyers running around worrying over old roms.

Actually, I think that anyone dedicated/obsessive enough to plop down the $100+ for one of Sean’s multi carts would be FIRST in line to pick up the GBA Activision Anthology.

I think it's ridiculous that Activision has its lawyers running around worrying over old roms.

If someone were to, say, release a homebrew '2600 emulator running on the GBA which could allow you to install ANY ROM(s) YOU WANTED into the binary (via a simple tool) and then run that via a flashcart, that would pretty much blow any commercial GBA/2600 project out of the water, wouldn't it.

That likely scenario alone seems to me a valid reason for people worrying about ROMs running around the 'net. In theory, I could do the above (release a build-your-own-multicart GBA binary) almost immediately. So, I understand where Activision is coming from - even if I don't much like their way of doing business.

Yup, but I also wondered why you are so interested in those IMO unrelevant details. :ponder:

I'm really not. I have no problem with Activision defending it's rights. But does the fact that they are a major software publisher make it right for a double standard to exist?

It has to be one way or the other.

John

Heya John.

I'm afraid that if you want answers regarding the Imagic titles, perhaps you should email or call our Legal Dept.

I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

Kind Regards,

- Ken

That's kind of what I figured you'd say. Is that the new company policy? Just refer everything to the legal dept. No more public proclamations that you own the rights?

Thanks anyway,

John

John,

It's pretty amusing to watch you attack Activision over IP rights when you

and your co-horts have been engaged in selling reproduction games for years to which you don't own the IP rights.  Since when have you become policeman for 2600 IP rights, given your abuse of them? 

The argument, "We got permission from the programmers!" is simply ridiculous. Since you seem to enjoy splitting hairs, getting the programmer's permission DOES NOT give you the legal right to sell the various reproduction games you've been releasing at CGE over the years.  Remember, for the most part.. "These Programmers worked for publishers." Unless it was stated in their contract with the various publishers that they worked for, they more than likely DO NOT own those rights. Those rights are almost always retained by the original companies (Atari, Activision and / or the various Share Holders).  To say nothing of titles like Elevator Action, which involves another company (in this case, Taito) regarding licensing of the original Elevator Action arcade game.

"Does the Digital Press list a Rarity Rating / Price for Sean's Multi Carts?" If not, it should as with any luck those WILL certainly be a huge rarity in the future.

- K