IGNORED

Graph2fnt

emkay

miker... 1st 4pac was planned to be a quick code on atari8 yahoo coding mailing list... then xray made some nice soundtrack, dracon made some nice gfx... so i need to make some nice code... but ingame gfx will not feature any g2f or "enhanced" g2f techniques maybe for for score panels etc... and title screen and game over screens...

but maybe a complete redesign and using g2f for ingame? who knows... emkay is a good guy in designing atari8 g2f ingame principles...

Yeah being able to load in the 2:1 pixel ratio BMP 320x240 is a feature I would like to have in G2F I always forget to "squash" in my BMP before importing !!

Well, the gods seems to be gracious - your prayers are answered. :)

There is a new feature in OPTION submenu: "AUTO RESIZE BMP". It is turned off by default.

Other G2F modifications':

- transparent cursor in EDIT SCREEN mode

- new (additional) way to select an area:

point to start area, click right mouse button and drag it to destination place, release button and thus, you get selected piece either by two lines

in "EDIT COLORS", "EDIT SPRITES", "EDIT RASTERS" or

the area limited to 4 lines in "MOVE XY".

You gotta check this out yourself !

Cheers,

Dracon Well, the gods seems to be gracious - your prayers are answered.  There is a new feature in OPTION submenu: "AUTO RESIZE BMP". It is turned off by default.
:) That's really great, nice addition, much appreciated Tebe.
new (additional) way to select an area:  

point to start area, click right mouse button and drag it to destination place, release button and thus, you get selected piece either by two lines  

in "EDIT COLORS", "EDIT SPRITES", "EDIT RASTERS" or  

the area limited to 4 lines in "MOVE XY".

Cool, that will be very useful.

G2F just gets better and better :) soon it will draw itself ! 8)

• 3 weeks later...
Heaven/TQA just wondering... does international karate using "g2f" for the background gfx? they seem to be enhanced with PMs...
Hi Heaven, yes, international karate does use PM overlays and DLIs on the backdrop. It was one of the rare titles to actually use a similar G2F type gfx. Good old Archer Mclean.. one of the greats ;)

did i realise basic draw buttons in the mains screen??? : 8)

You did realise right.

But it is a bit un-useful to allow drawing with disabled PM elements only.

Well... I never expected a draw function in G2F ... but to make it complete, a "mark range & copy" function (for bitmap only) would make it more complete.

@ Tebe/Dracon

Really nice to see G2Fs continual development :D

..An idea for G2Fs development... "Raster error correction"

I hope I can write this clearly.. (RE: The use of PMG overlays and their resizing/repositioning)

I had a thought recently on possibly automating the correction of errors when we have made too many changes per rasterline. We have the "Check" Ctrl+C to look at the number of changes that are made which is very useful but sometimes having to spread out the commands in the rasterlines above the problem so that less changes are made in one go can be difficult to see. This is because we can change the size, position and colour of the 4 PMGs.

My thought is this: An automated routine could be made to read through the G2F and where more than the permitted number of changes are made, the routine can spread the commands to the lines above and write 00s to the Player or missile shape data.

Say for instance we have done this..

Line1: PL0 size 0, position 10, color $F: PL1 size 0, position 10, color $F: PL2 size 0, position 10, color $F

Line2: >>

Line3: >>

Line4: >>

Line 5: PL0 size 1, position 16, color $C: PL1 size 1, position 16, color $C: PL2 size 1, position 16, color $C << Error!! too many changes have been made.

After error correction..

Line1: PL0 size 0, position 10, color $F: PL1 size 0, position 10, color $F: PL2 size 0, position 10, color $F

Line2: >>

Line3: >> PL1 size 1, position 16, color $C: (Shape date =0)

Line4: >> PL2 size 1, position 16, color $C (Shape date =0)

Line 5: PL0 size 1, position 16, color $C: PL1 size 1, position 16, color $C: PL2 size 1, position 16, color $C << No errors now because only three changes made on this scanline.

This would be excellent to automate as it takes so much time to examine and correct the errors by hand. It is of course continually repositioning and changing the PMG overlays (with PF DLIs) that makes the great G2F pictures.

Just a thought for you guys.... ;)

How's the maps section getting on? I have been playing with this new feature. It will be great to use this when it is finished.

Regards, Tezz.

But it is a bit un-useful to allow drawing with disabled PM elements only.

perhaps it protects you from a mess... ;)

PMG objects aren't so big and therefore can be pixeled by hand... It make sense, doesn't it?

Well... I never expected a draw function in G2F ...

Life seems to be surprising sometimes, doesn't it? :D

Maybe some day you'll decide to do something in G2F from scratch and this would be a smart help...

Besides, why Atari should be worse than C64? I mean they have "CUNEIFORM" (gfx-chars editor for PC) and there are even more tools like this.

but to make it complete, a "mark range & copy" function (for bitmap only)

I don't understand as there are some installed so far.... Haven't you checked that features already?

Tezz - stay tuned, I'll try to translate your suggestions soon (I hope). :)

OK, I translated and passed your thouths to TeBe...

I had a thought recently on possibly automating the correction of errors when we have made too many changes per rasterline.

No offence, but we noticed you tend to use too many rasterchanges sometimes. For example, there were even 12 changes in your "CHIMERA" image conversion. ;) :P

What if the possible checking-engine would examine all g2f's screen, change some places but also spoil a bit somewhere? I mean the routine is routine but it won't fix all human's error as you expect, for sure.

Anyway, we'll see...

Dracon No offence, but we noticed you tend to use too many rasterchanges sometimes
Yes I'm guilty. ;)
For example, there were even 12 changes in your "CHIMERA" image conversion.
Yeah, but that was unfinished, I usually correct the errors at the end. I never did get the graphics 15 change on the right hand side to work correctly.

What if the possible checking-engine would examine all g2f's screen, change some places but also spoil a bit somewhere? I mean the routine is routine but it won't fix all human's error as you expect, for sure.
hmm, well yes. It is perhaps a tall order but I was thinking that if the the engine were able to check that there is no shape data on the lines to spread the commands (like we do manually), then possibly no visible spoiling would occur. Sometimes when I make my G2Fs I work in sections so evey 8 pixels or 1 char line many changes are made at once and I have to spread them manually.

Maybe an extended information in the check command so that we can see exactly what registers are set too on each changed line so it would be possible to ease the error removal by hand.

Thanks guys ;)

Just noticed Graph2Font v3.7.8.8 :) What's new?

well, here it is:

- added spray function ; selecting area with blinking rectangle (without operation on selected area for now)

- fixed some option such as EDIT SCREEN, EDIT COLORS, etc. that got wrong when clicking mouse in PREVIEW=GFX mode.

BTW thanks Dracon for translating my idea to Tebe. Hope it becomes a  useful beginning for a possible new feature.

All right.

You seem to be the one so active foreign G2F's tester right now... :|

• 5 weeks later...

As I´m still working on a new project, I got an idea what feature could be useful to build into G2F.

If you have a picture with less than 240 scanlines range, it is always written with 240 scanlines range. This causes you to edit the saved file (e.g. a mic) to have only the used range (e.g. 192 lines for a "normal" picture).

This could be done by G2F itselves. Maybe you select an "autocrop" flag or you´ll be asked by the range when saving.

Greetz from Berlin/Germany

PPS, your idea has been translated & sent to the author some days ago...

It's not up to me whether that would be included soon...

Besides, there is another G2F version:

http://g2f.atari8.info

- fixed an error with intializing widths of missiles...

- added option NEW (File) and Info (Screen)

- some numerous corrections in CHARSET submenu and so on

- UNDO works with some different options (it's included in G2F from some

time, to be exact)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Tebe. Noticed on http://atariarea.histeria.pl

Graph2Font v3.7.9.6

- dodano możliwość wstawiania obiektów PMG pod ZOOM`em (pojedyńcza linia),  

- usunięto zauważone błędy, m.in. po załadowaniu pliku *.PMG nie było można edytować obiektów PMG, teraz jest OK,  

- poprawione zostało ładowanie zestawu znaków w `Charset->Load FNT`,  

- dodana zakładka `Help` w `Charset->Load FNT` i `Zoom`.

does this translate to what you have written in the post above?

Help` w `Charset->Load FNT` i `Zoom
What is this?

I did a quick translation online......

Capability to insert object added under ZOOM PMG pojedyńcza, it delete noticed errors -, among others, it was possible to edit after booting of file objects * not .PMG PMG, now there is OK, loading of array of sign has been corrected to - ` Charset - > ` Load FNT, bookmark in (to) - added < add > ` help ` ` Charset - > ` Load FNT and ` ` Zoom.

I think I get the jist of what has been added and fixed now in v3.7.9.6

Noticed onhttp://atariarea.histeria.pl

- usunięto zauważone błędy, m.in. po załadowaniu pliku *.PMG nie było można edytować obiektów PMG, teraz jest OK  

noticed bugs have been removed, e.g. there wasn't possible to edit PMG objects after loading *.PMG file.

- poprawione zostało ładowanie zestawu znaków w `Charset->Load FNT`

charset loading (in CHARSET/LOAD FNT menu) has been improved

- dodana zakładka `Help` w `Charset->Load FNT` i `Zoom`.

there are added two 'HELP' bookmarks (in CHARSET/LOAD FNT and ZOOM mode)

does this translate to what you have written in the post above?

not directly... ;)

Help` w `Charset->Load FNT` i `Zoom.  -  What is this?

it's a kinda online help to keep you informed what keys you should use in some G2F's parts....

You are Englishman, so you're lucky but you can also try to learn some foregin languages... :wink: ;) :)