IGNORED

Atari 2600 Dune Prototype Discovered!

Albert

Still don't get it.  :?  

My label didn't come from a label mock page, that is my template.

Give them some time CPUWiz.. ;) :lol:

Hmmm...

I got it you wanker... :D

On the real though, didn't Khryssun have a page with mock labels with a proposed Dune label?

That is wixer to you please. :P

I think Lee K. has a mockup cart of this but he took his page with the labels down for some reason. :ponder:

Still don't get it.  :?  

My label didn't come from a label mock page, that is my template.

Give them some time CPUWiz.. ;) :lol:

Hmmm...

I got it you wanker... :D

On the real though, didn't Khryssun have a page with mock labels with a proposed Dune label?

My bad.. He had Stargate and Independence Day...

ATTN: Tempest

I found a couple of things in your review that seem to be small errors.

AtariProtos wrote:

The water gauge starts at 100% and slowly depletes during the course of the game, when it reaches zero Paul dies. There doesn't appear to be a way to increase the water gauge, but one of the tools may have helped.

It seems that if you run accross enough screens that it refills itself (at least in z26). Basically if you go accross the entire set of different colored backgrounds the water meter resets itself to maximum. (Now as to whether or not its supposed to do that...)

Actually there are "Water Rooms" where if you touch the walls your meter will be filled. I've updated the page to reflect this.

There are no "helicopters" in Dune. The correct term in the Dune universe would be "ornithopter".

Duly noted. Will change that.

Tempest

Well, it dehydrates anyway.

Which brings up a question...in the movie they wore suits that recycled their waste fluids ( :woozy: ).  I wonder if that had anything to do with this game?  (i.e. visiting certian screens to "recharge" your suit)

Stillsuits. Unlike in the movies, the book notes that they often wore complete headgear and gloves that helped recycle the sweat into usable water. In addition they carried "lliterjons" of water to replace what they might loose from their palms while they were working (and couldn't use the gloves) or if there were an accident or such. I would wonder if theose rooms wouldn't represent them going to the "windtraps" to refil thier supplies.

BTW: Technically speaking, isn't ALL water recycled at least partly from waste fluids?

Not sure where you're getting that (I'd read it before the movie even came out, myself), but I think it's a reasonable assumption that a video game would've been based on the movie license and not the book. Similarly, Dune 2000 for the PC follows the look of the movie as well.

In 1984, a property based on a book would've been, if not unheard of, extremely rare. Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide is almost an exception - except, of course, it wasn't originally a book, but a radio series. :)

Not sure where you're getting that

Well, lines like this for example:

For those not familiar with the movie (or those who couldn't sit through all three hours of this overrated sci-fi train wreck), I'll try and sum up the main plot.

Seems like where the book would get a mention, were the author aware of it, yes?

well, lines like this for example:

Quote:

For those not familiar with the movie (or those who couldn't sit through all three hours of this overrated sci-fi train wreck), I'll try and sum up the main plot.

Seems like where the book would get a mention, were the author aware of it, yes?

Yes I am well aware of the book (or should I say books) by Frank Herbert. However as Phosphor Dot Fossils pointed out, this game was obviously based on the movie (which had came out only a few months before this prototype)and not the book series (although the movie WAS based off the book, it differed in several areas).

Tempest

I'll concede that one to you. :) But by and large, where classic SF is concerned, I'd say that Dune's origins in print - and the name of its author - have better penetration with the public than most of its contemporaries. 'Course, it doesn't hurt that the newfangled miniseries adaptations are prefaced by "Frank Herbert's..." these days.

Anyway, back to the game at hand. And just remember, he who controls the Spice Girls controls the universe. :o :lolblue:

• 17 years later...
1 hour ago, dr. kwack said:

Just revisited this after seeing the Extended Version of Dune this weekend. How difficult would it be to "complete" this game? I know some folks here commented on changing placeholders and whatnot but could this be done? I'd be willing to contribute some time to help out...

Almost impossible really.  The game was only about 40% or so done and there's no real idea on how the gameplay would have worked, just some rough guesses.

• Like 2

To make an accurate movie-based Dune game, you need to make it needlessly complicated, requiring endless replays just to understand what is going on, and then you need to leave out significant portions out of the actual game so it can never really make complete sense, then you tack on an ending that doesn't fit with the story it is based upon...

• Haha 6

On 9/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, Tempest said:

Almost impossible really.  The game was only about 40% or so done and there's no real idea on how the gameplay would have worked, just some rough guesses.

Obvious question but, based on a lack of any mention, I assume no one knows who the original coder was and/or there's no way to contact him?  I'm thinking of a best case scenario 5200 Tempest/arcade Major Havoc style resurrection.  Otherwise it's up to whoever thinks he can complete the game.  Either it's an Adventure style exploration game or it's a task completion game (successfully ride a worm, survive the Gom Jabbar, fight the Saudarkar, collect spice and fly away before worms attack, one-on-one combat using a Holtzman shield, etc.) like Tron.

What would be a real feat would be converting the National Lampoon's "Doon" book into a game!  A whole level could be devoted to trying to navigate the various levels of male maturity (boy-child, man-child, boy-man, baby-man, man-boy, boy-boy, teen-boy, youth-guy, guy-man, teen-man).

5 hours ago, ledzep said:

Obvious question but, based on a lack of any mention, I assume no one knows who the original coder was and/or there's no way to contact him?

No we don't.  Curt (RIP) found the code in a hidden directory called War that was in someone else's main directory whose name I can't recall now (Dan Hitchens maybe?) on one of Atari's old mainframes.  That person had no idea about the game and it wasn't theirs.  Bruce Poehlman and Gary Stark did an initial write up for the game but they didn't program it and had no idea who did.  

Maybe by looking at the code someone can find some programmer 'fingerprints' that might be able to point to the programmer, but that's a long shot.  It's almost like this game shouldn't even exist but it does.  It was mentioned on one status report but had no name next to it (or maybe it had Bruce and Gary next to it but as I said they didn't do the programming).  My memory on all of this is getting fuzzy over the years.