IGNORED

Cave 1K (new homebrew minigame)

Thomas Jentzsch

Why not change the game to use the joystick, ie. down to 'climb' instead of using the fire button. Could this be added as an option using the game select switch without making the game more than 1K?

For increasing difficulty how about making the walls thicker as the game progresses - though again this may increase the size?

(I'll resist the temptation to suggest a name - mainly because I can't think of one!) :)

Why not change the game to use the joystick, ie. down to 'climb' instead of using the fire button.  

I think that the fact that this is fire button only kind of lends to the coolness factor of the game. :D

Why not change the game to use the joystick, ie. down to 'climb' instead of using the fire button.  

I think that the fact that this is fire button only kind of lends to the coolness factor of the game. :D

I agree. it took me a second to think "why down?" when I realized he must be thinking of a flight sim, where pulling towards you = climb. (Does it work that way for helicopters even?)

While playing a round I thought of a deliciously evil play mechanic: invisible walls :evil:. But then I backed up a bit and thought seriously, "We're in a cave. It's dark. Where is the light source coming from? The helicopter!". How about, at random, the helicopter's headlight starts to go out? It flickers on and off, less frequent at first, then more so until it's finally dark. To keep the light alive, the player has to pick up more "juice" for the light. If the light goes out completely, instead of total darkness, just make the playfield and wall graphics a dark shade of grey making flight more difficult, yet not impossible.

This can be but one of the obstacles in the game as it could wear thin if it were the only. I just thought it would intensify the already stressful game play if a wall suddenly appeared in the middle of the screen :). Just a thought.

Jason

BTW: "Cave Chopper!" (It's difficult coming up with a single-word name that best describes the unusual situation of a helicopter flying in a cave :).)

How about a game where you don't die but loose points when colliding?

And instead of points you could loose energy (used for lightning?).

Late showing walls are IMO no good, since you already have enough stress to avoid them. Maybe in a non random mode, where you can memorize the layout.

Hi, I just love the game. I have spent quite some time playing it now. even though I can't get it to work on actual hardware, it is still great. My high score so far is somewhere around 1200.

I like the gravity and maybe to make it harder in the end without making it bigger, you could just make the walls longer than in the beginnning. Giving a smaller space to fly around on the ends. And the name I give it is HELLICAVE.

If you ever do make a bigger game just put a few enemies at the end of the tunnel and have a fire option. Although you would need to change the control scheme. Maybe not then...

Just a few ideas for you to toss around

-Brad Karston

...even though I can't get it to work on actual hardware, it is still great.

What exactly is your problem?

I like the gravity and maybe to make it harder in the end without making it bigger, you could just make the walls longer than in the beginnning. Giving a smaller space to fly around on the ends.

With "longer" you mean "wider", right? I am sure you noticed that they are already getting taller. ;)

And the name I give it is HELLICAVE.  

If you ever do make a bigger game just put a few enemies at the end of the tunnel and have a fire option. Although you would need to change the control scheme. Maybe not then...  

Just a few ideas for you to toss around

Listed!

If you ever do make a bigger game just put a few enemies at the end of the tunnel and have a fire option. Although you would need to change the control scheme.

That's a pretty good idea. Since the game uses the button to rise/fall, if the cave had enemies to shoot you could use the stick to shoot in all directions (sort of like Vanguard). Though that is changing the game quite a bit.

...even though I can't get it to work on actual hardware, it is still great.

What exactly is your problem?

It is the same supercharger problem that I had posted earlier. Using the makewav program. The program crashes after the button is pressed. It isn't a big deal I love playing it on the PCAE 2600 emulator. The supercharger is supposed to handle any of the small games up to 6k or something, I figured it should work with this game.

It doesn't exist in cartrige form yet does it? Is there somehting you need to do to the code to get it to work on the actual hardware?

-Brad Karston

[it is the same supercharger problem that I had posted earlier. Using the makewav program. The program crashes after the button is pressed.

Have you tried the updated version 1.04 (see 1st post of this thread)? This has been reported as working on Superchargers.

I am sorry if put you thru any headaches because I didn't catch your post about your updated version. I have it running on my six switch system right now. I have a picture of my system with my NES controller for the atari it in this post http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35306 (The colors are a lot more vibrant) And I like the control better while looking at a 27 inch screen from a distance.

I just noticed that you don't have the color change "burn in" protection. 99 percent of all atari game have that one little algorithm to change the screen color after the person dies and lets it sit for a second. Do you plan on putting this in or don't you have enough room for it. I am not fearful of burning my tv screen but I do leave this game loaded in my supercharger and I walk away for a while sometimes. I usually change it back to a tv station though. just in case I forget about it.

Update

I have added the (final?!) version 1.05 at the top of this thread.

Changes:

- The helicopter moves a little bit faster again

- The wall size doesn't increase anymore while a wall is displayed.

- The game has a "competition mode" (P0 difficulty = A) now where the walls aren't random anymore, so every game is exactly the same. The score is displayed in green then.

- When you have beaten your current high score the score color changes to red.

- The version number is the initial high score.

Now you can post your green "competition mode" high scores. :)

BTW: For a real challenge set P1 difficulty to A. :evil:

I'm personally not a fan of games that require rote memorization in order to succeed. While it can't always be avoided, I prefer more randomness to my challenges, where my success depends on skill (and good reflexes) instead of just memorizing a pattern (which becomes boring quickly, in my opinion).

..Al

I'm personally not a fan of games that require rote memorization in order to succeed.  While it can't always be avoided, I prefer more randomness to my challenges, where my success depends on skill (and good reflexes) instead of just memorizing a pattern (which becomes boring quickly, in my opinion).

No problem, you can post your random mode, white high scores too. :)

I just tried loading ver. 5 thru the supercharger and I have some unexpected results! My load screen after running this game is RED when it used to be blue and I have weird white lines on the screen and I can't get it to load with a blue screen!!!! And there is a loud humming thru the speakers. I don't know if it was from running this game or what, OTHER SUPERCHARGER USERS LET ME KNOW IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU.

post-3803-1065732729_thumb.jpg

I just tried loading ver. 5 thru the supercharger and I have some unexpected results! My load screen after running this game is RED when it used to be blue and I have weird white lines on the screen and I can't get it to load with a blue screen!!!! And there is a loud humming thru the speakers. I don't know if it was from running this game or what, OTHER SUPERCHARGER USERS LET ME KNOW IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU.

Sorry, to hear that, but I am quite sure my game isnt responsible for that. AFAIK it's technically impossible that a game could harm your SC.

It must be the switches I put on my system. http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35306 I just tried a different system and it works fine. But I still don't see how we are supposed to distinguish between the old version high scores which are red and the competition scores which are only green until you beat the high score and then they are red too?