IGNORED

Cave 1K (new homebrew minigame)

Thomas Jentzsch

I just played about 5 rounds. Excellent little game, Thomas!  I particularly enjoy the shading.

Thanks.

I used the shading because having (and using) lots of colors is one of the (few) strengths of the 2600 compared to other consoles/computers of that era. And a little eye candy is always good to influence the occasional evaluator of the game when entering next years Minigame Competition. ;)

BTW: This year's votings end at 10/26 :!:

I'm no expert but here's my top score.

With just five rounds your score isn't bad at all. :thumbsup:

1) how much would it cost t have it cart?

2) This game is allready out in a spanish webstite called tonterias (tonterias.com) on the side menu go to juegos then down to "vuela el helicoptero" this game has been in way before Cave 1K!!

Take Care :)

Sorry, but I have no real plans for a cart release. Yet! :)

2) This game is allready out in a spanish webstite called tonterias (tonterias.com) on the side menu go to juegos then down to "vuela el helicoptero" this game has been in way before Cave 1K!!

I know. :) If you check the whole thread, you will see that my game was inspired by that Flash game.

Sorry, but I have no real plans for a cart release. Yet! :)

I know. :) If you check the whole thread, you will see that my game was inspired by that Flash game.

Yeah that game is very ADDICTIVE thats why I asked if you knew, Thank You Thomas for answering my questions, HOPE YOU DO GET AROUND A CART RELEASE!!

Thanks A2600

Woohoo! My new (v1.06) high score!

BTW, I like this new version. The drop rate is perfect.

I have a habit of putting the letter "o" at the end of words for fun, so here's my next contribution to the name game...

"Tunnelo!"

-Jason

post-3314-1067320599_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Would it be possible to allow some of the barriers to move at a random speed vertically? It would fun trying to time and dodge their movements.

Yes, but wouldn't that make the game rather unfair?

And then I'd have to find some bytes for that. :)

I don't know if it would be unfair, but I'd like to try it maybe as an advanced option.  

It might be fair if you didn't put it too close to any other barrier. How many bytes have you got to spare? i think you can do this mod in 13..no 12 bytes...hehe

Well, I am down to about zero bytes know, so either I find some more bytes or sacrifize a different feature.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just played Cave for a few days, and it's the best 1K game I've seen. The reason why it works so well is the feel of gliding quickly over the barriers and then dropping sharply to get under the next one - a superb piece of programming. Nice graphics too. It surely is the bookies favourite for the 1K title next year.

It surely is the bookies favourite for the 1K title next year.

Thanks for the compliments, but never underestimate the powers of other programmers. While I am very pleased with the result I am not nearly as sure as you are. And if my game should encourage someone to write a better game, then that's the best result I can hope for.

• 3 months later...

After a long time, another little update (v1.08 ).

Would it be possible to allow some of the barriers to move at a random speed vertically? It would fun trying to time and dodge their movements.

Well, the speed is non random, but the walls are moving (right difficulty switch = A). :)

See 1st page for binary.

I couldn't get the walls moving in Stella, no combination of difficulty switchs worked :(

You have to set the switches before you (re)start a game.

That's intentional, though I could allow changing them at runtime quite easily.

BTW: You helicopter colors look odd, maybe I have forgotten something... :ponder:

EDIT: Just uploaded a new version that should fix the color problem.

Yeah the crash sequence just keeps the helicopter sprite and changes it's colours.

In the new version it should go on and off three times and then disappear.

Still no luck with the walls. Mabye it's a stella bug.

Yes, I just checked and Stella doesn't work for me too. z26 and PCAE work as expected. :ponder: