IGNORED

Ultra Vortek Beta Released

Albert

UltraVortek.jpgThanks go out to Jason Smith, who has obtained permission from Beyond Games for us to release the binary to a beta version of Ultra Vortek. Ultra Vortek is one of several fighting games that shipped for the Jaguar, and this earlier version (Rev 0.94) is titled Ultra Vortex and was shown at CES as a work in progress. You can download the binary here.

Here is the title screen, which I snapped using the Virtual Jaguar emulator:

s_UltraVortek_beta_1a.jpg

Enjoy!

..Al

How did you get it to show up in the list of available ROMs? :?

I ran it on the command line as such:

vj romsuvbeta.rom -dsp

It runs pretty slow with the DSP enabled, but I couldn't get beyond (no pun intended) the Beyond Games title screen without doiing that. If someone finds a better way to run it (outside of real hardware, that is), please let me know. :)

..Al

Hello all,

That's absolutely brilliant news, I can't wait to investigate this ROM!

You've demonstrated a generosity to the Jaguar community that is

sadly lacking elsewhere, you're real heroes of the Jaguar history.

Thanks Jason, Beyond Games, and Albert. Can I take screen-shots

of this for my own web-site, to add to my own prototypes pages?

I remember certain other developers who shall remain nameless,

having little good to say about Beyond, but I think they produced

a great game, and my previous contacts with them were always

very positive, although I can imagine it wasn't easy getting them

to actually release the ROM. I remember getting cheats was slow!

Cheers,

Richard.

Thanks Jason, Beyond Games, and Albert. Can I take screen-shots of this for my own web-site, to add to my own prototypes pages?

I don't see why anyone would need explicit permission to take screenshots for any game, including prototypes like this. So go for it. :) I haven't taken the time to take additional screenshots beyond the one I took of the title screen or I'd let you have them. Generally I use a video capture card to take screenshots since emulators until recently weren't a viable alternative.

..Al

As I see this is on the front page, shouldn't it be one of only three fighting games released for the Jaguar.  Fight for Life, Ultra Vortek and Double Dragon 5.  Four, if you include Primal Rage on the Jag CD.

You're right, of course, I spaced on Primal Rage and Double Dragon 5 (for some reason when I think of Double Dragon I don't think of a "pure" fighting game). I'll fix that, thanks. :)

..Al

Thanks everyone, I hope you enjoy the ROM. I must say Kris Johnson, President of Beyond Games, didn't even hesitate when I asked him if I could release this. Very cool guy.

Richard, I agree with Albert, go ahead and post screenshots of it. Also, Linko, it'll work on the emulator, give it a go on that while you wait for that 4mb alpine.

Lastly, I want to give thanks to the person who has asked to remain "anonymous" that sold me this beta along with several others.

More will be coming..... :)

Jason

Mike,

The 4MB Alpines are getting scarce.... If you are looking for an Alpine, I have 5 remaining Jag Development kits left, they come with a 2mb Alpine board, 600+ page Developers manual, 3 CD's filled with Jag developer s/w, source code to several games as well.

They are $300 + $15 shipping by USPS Priority within the US, if you are overseas, the package weighs 4.8 lbs and you can check postal rates from New York to you location on usps.com.

Curt

If you are looking for an Alpine, I have 5 remaining Jag Development kits left, they come with a 2mb Alpine board, 600+ page Developers manual, 3 CD's filled with Jag developer s/w, source code to several games as well.

They are $300 + $15 shipping by USPS Priority within the US, if you are overseas, the package weighs 4.8 lbs and you can check postal rates from New York to you location on usps.com.

Curt

:o Wow.

Hello,

Are the CD's going to be made available separately at some point?

It would be great to see some original sources, but I have an Alpine

already, and I can't afford another really, just to get the 3 CD's...

I'd really love a 4MB Alpine myself, my own is only a 2MB. I'd not

dare to try Glenn's upgrade to 4MB, thank goodness for Flash ROMs!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

If anyone desperately needs a 4MB Alpine for a valid development reason I'd be willing to consider attractive offers.

Bear in mind they'd need to be very attractive given its history, but I'm usually receptive :) Feel free to flag me as another potential source, anyway.

:)

Stone

• 10 months later...