IGNORED

Jesus Stuff with my eBay Purchase?

SpendTooMuchOnAtari

A couple of comments:

--About 10 years ago, my brother-in-law, then a teenager, became 'born again.' Seized with the spirit (and stupidity), he printed up his own tract about how all jews were going to go to hell unless they converted. Then he started going to train stations on Long Island (one of the biggest Jewish populations in the US) and handed them out to tired commuters going to work at 6AM in the middle of winter. This was not a good idea. To let your imagination run wild, I'll simply say that he didn't hand out tracts very long.

--Here in NYC, you can buy Chick tracts at See Hear, an underground rock zine & book store near St. Mark's Place; they clearly see it as humorous, as most anyone who'd walk into See Hear would be a target of Chick's wrath.

--My father-in-law is the guy in charge of buying tracts for his church; he was horrified by the Chick tract my wife showed him (after a trip to See Hear, of course--what a bad influence I am). I've never understood why people feel the need in general to hand out tracts, but having gotten to know and appreciate my father-in-law for the nice guy he is, I can say, based on him, that at least some people do it as a kind gesture and nothing more. I'd venture to say that he has a rather 'live and let live' attitude and that he leaves tracts here and there more as giving people an opportunity to hook back into religion if they were once religious and let it fall by the wayside (ie, he's not an in-your-face kinda guy).

--That said, when I walk out of Penn Station every day here in NYC, there's this wild-eyed preacher and his Korean assistant who are extremely in everyone's faces. He shouts praises, and swears that if you're lost...etc. while his assistant tries to give tracts to everyone in sight. Man, stuff like this freaks me out. I don't know if the fault is his or mine. Maybe he does some good; maybe he helps people. I tend to be embarrassed though because I'm a fairly religious person and I think he turns people off (including me). But everyone has their calling in life and I guess that is his--who am I to criticize? Like I said, maybe he gets through to some folks. I find his zealousness creeps me out but maybe that means that really I'm a lousy catholic; I dunno. If nothing else, he's made me examine daily why I feel the way I feel about my beliefs, and I guess that's a good thing.

So, in the end, if someone sends you a tract and it's not your deal--and I'd imagine that few people are swayed by them personally--then throw it out and don't think twice. Figure that the person who sent it to you at least meant well. Then go on with your day.

Clive

I am adding this because I want to make it clear that I have nothing against people who choose religion.  That's your thing and more power to you.  However, I think it is silly and just don't want it to be pushed towards me....the way I felt when I opened up my Amidar package this afternoon.

Puh-lease. Just get over it. It's not like they wrote all over your purchase with permanent marker.

P.S.

Jesus loves you. And you can't do anything about it! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :evil: |icon_innocent.gif

Religion was invented around 4000-3000 B.C. as a way for the early leaders to control their peasants. It is easy to say, "Build this pyramid. Why? Because God says so."

That's why I'm against religion... or any other form of control. It's nothing but a man-made invention by the power-hungry kings/presidents to enslave the masses.

For me, life is what it is. You are born. You live about 80 years. You die. THE END. Yes, that's a crappy deal, but the universe is a cruel place to live. That's why 99% of all species are now extinct and stars randomly blow up.

Hey everyone has already scared this poor guy away, he hasn't posted since he got razzed on in this thread :P

I am adding this because I want to make it clear that I have nothing against people who choose religion.  That's your thing and more power to you.  However, I think it is silly and just don't want it to be pushed towards me....the way I felt when I opened up my Amidar package this afternoon.

Puh-lease. Just get over it. It's not like they wrote all over your purchase with permanent marker.

P.S.

Jesus loves you. And you can't do anything about it! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :evil: |icon_innocent.gif

I have bought DVD's with a microwave bag of popcorn in it one time. I didnt' eat it but I thought it was worth adding to this already enormous thread. BTW I am not a big fan of organized religion either. ESPECIALLY Tele-Vangelists. They are the worst.

HOW ABOUT BENNY HINN MAKING PEOPLE FALL DOWN FROM THE POWER OF GOD RUNNING THRU HIM????? Like that isn't a scam.

• 4 weeks later...

I too have received Jesus stuff with my eBay purchases on two or three occasions. I find it to be very inappropriate for the seller to include these unsolicited materials in your package.

Why doesn't Wal-Mart (or any other legitimate retailer) give you religious materials with your purchase? Sure, they may not have a religious agenda too push, but more importantly they KNOW that it would be offensive to some people. And no business enterprise in their right mind would want to intentionally offend their customers. Well, I guess except some nutty eBay sellers.

For those that think the unsolicited inclusion of Jesus Stuff with your eBay purchase is either harmless or appropriate, consider this...

What if some eBay seller wanted to include these types of literature in your eBay package:

Jesus is a Fraud

Satan is the Only Way

The Pope is a homosexual

David Koresh is the Son of God

Simbionese Liberation Army

pictures of aborted fetuses

Kobe Bryant defense fund

Jim Jones' Kool-Aid recipe

The American Taliban

Heaven's Gate

N.A.M.B.L.A.

Now the situation becomes more clear. It is much easier to see that the inclusion of certain unsolicited materials is obviously inappropriate and could potentially be offensive. And I don't think you can give a blanket pass to the Jesus Stuff (which some will find offensive) without allowing opposing points of view or materials pertaining to other controversial subject matter. I think it is rather obvious that the inclusion of any literature that is not specifically related to your eBay purchase is inappropriate.

For those who love Jesus, fine. But there must be a better way to spread the Word of God than to stuff it in an envelope and send it along to anybody who purchases an Atari cartridge or 8-track tape on eBay.

Religion was invented around 4000-3000 B.C. as a way for the early leaders to control their peasants.  It is easy to say, "Build this pyramid.  Why?  Because God says so."

That's why I'm against religion... or any other form of control.  It's nothing but a man-made invention by the power-hungry kings/presidents to enslave the masses.

For me, life is what it is.  You are born.  You live about 80 years.  You die.  THE END.  Yes, that's a crappy deal, but the universe is a cruel place to live.  That's why 99% of all species are now extinct and stars randomly blow up.

amen brother;P

• 3 years later...

Religion was invented around 4000-3000 B.C. as a way for the early leaders to control their peasants. It is easy to say, "Build this pyramid. Why? Because God says so."

That's why I'm against religion... or any other form of control. It's nothing but a man-made invention by the power-hungry kings/presidents to enslave the masses.

For me, life is what it is. You are born. You live about 80 years. You die. THE END. Yes, that's a crappy deal, but the universe is a cruel place to live. That's why 99% of all species are now extinct and stars randomly blow up.

Where do you get that crap from? Religion was "invented" to explain things in nature that people couldn't explain before science showed how it really worked.. (ex: they didn't know what lightning and thunder was so they associate it with a higher being and worship that being, spirit or god as a way to "control" or explain why it's happening). It's been around since culture has existed, not since the Egyptians. Anyways... Religion is a personal thing.. it shouldn't be rubbed in peoples faces and tracts are doing just that. I know I wouldnt want someone telling me I'm wrong and I'm eternally damned unless I believe what they do.

The problem when you bump three year old threads is that sometimes the members will not respond. RCmodeler was banned from AA a long time ago.

He came back under two other member names and was banned under those as well. I don't even think the guy liked Atari.

If it offends you, throw it out. If it really bothers you that much send it back to him. You pushing your anti-religion views on us makes you no better than the guy who sent the pamphlet. This is why discussions of religion are always bad.

Let me get something straight here, I didn't say anything specifically about religion, send me a political nonsense brochure and I'll be just as bothered. I don't need other peoples believes or political views with Atari purchases. Thank you.

My personal philosophy is:

Never argue Religion, Politics, or the Great Pumpkin. :D