IGNORED

Burning???

inextremis staple

Ok, I was playing my roommate and the guy next door in some PS2 game a few weeks ago. Needless to say I got my butt whooped. So I told them to wait till after thanksgiving and I'll bring my 2600 and school em in warlords. They of course where like, "wha??" But anywho, they said I'd better not hook it up to my roommate's tv because it'll burn the screen. I don't know what he was talking about so I thought I'd ask you guys. Have any of you seen this happen??? Supposedly you'll still be able to see the pac man maze or what have you. I've never seen this on my tv back at home. I have seen it on an arcade but never on a tv. Anyone know what's up?

is

old bullshit

EARLY pong games that didnt have color cycling, if played on the same tv for months at a time eventually burn the pong line down the middle of the screen.

The 2600 is proof against this with its color changing, and the very fact that it plays more than one game

however im sure if u somehow managed to play warlords for about 300 hours straight youd burn the image in on your screen. Good luck!

Phosphor doesn't last forever, and starts to fade if a bright image is left on the screen long enough (leaving a 'ghost' of the picture visible on the tube). It takes a VERY long time to burn a static image into a CRT. Arcade game monitors start to show 'burn-in' after months and months of non-stop use.

Projection TV's use much more intense tubes and are more susceptible to burn-in from still images in video games. Still, it takes a while to appear.

-Bry

Thanks fellas.  I figured that was the case.  Some people just don't know what they're talking about I guess.  I thought you'd have to leave it on for months or so.  He has a sharp 27" tv.  Dunno if its plasma or not.  He's out right now so can't ask.  Ah well.  Thanks guys.

is

It's probably not a plasma. They're easy to spot. They're big, cost thousands, and are only a few inches deep (in other words, they look nothing like a TV).

I read a few months ago that plasma screens are particularly prone to this.  Resulting in the channel idents from cable TV channels being burnt into the screen. Some more expensive models slowly move the image around a few pixels at a time to try to reduce this.

That is yucky. I really thought they'd be more robust.

-Bry

For the record I HAVE seen an old TV or two that had a 2600 Pac-Man maze burnt into it. :D You can usually see it even if the TV is off. My father has an old TV that my mother used to use to listen to the radio with (!)... the cable channel that playe d the radio station did this time/temperature thing and that's burned into this tv now.

It _is_ possible to burn in a color TV with a video game, but you would have to leave it on for a very long time. Screen burn was a big problem on older computer terminals and displays with monochrome green tubes. The P4 phosphor they used was pretty slow (you could still see the text glowing a little after it changed) and because of this, they burned easily. I had a terminal for a while that had, very crisply burned into the screen, a menu - "Add Patient, Schedule appointment, Change/Remove Appointment, etc.." A very well used terminal will sometimes have a 25 lines of little blurry boxes, since they only display text 80 columns by 25 lines, every charachter is always in a fixed location. Eventually, the phosphor can get burned in those locations.Also, on the older all in one Macintosh computers, the menu bar would get burned into the screen, since it's always there while using the computer. Also, I have seen Macs with "It is now safe to switch off your Macintosh" burned into the screen... Black and white TV's burn easier than color sets, but it would still take a lot of playing to get anything burned into the screen. I did, however, once see a color set at a thrift that had a very large, square, block burned into the center of the screen. It took me a minute to figure it out. It must have been a Commodore 64. The text display area on the C64 was dark blue with a light blue border. If you used the computer a LOT, and were programming in BASIC or something, that outer border and the inner background color would never change. But, as a general rule, no, it won't burn the screen of a CRT color set, unless you leave it on all day for a week or so.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

I have seen a big screen (48"?) that had the channel '03' burned into the corner of it. This was at a hockey arena/skate park in Ann Arbor, and thats only because the channel NEVER went away, it was always displayed and the people that worked there were just stupid skaters and had no idea how to work a big fancy tv :roll:

You kidding? All these people are talking NEW TV's. I have an old TV, a Black and White one that's had an Atari 2600 hooked up to it like 25 years and there is still no evidence of burning. And that's with archaic video technology that's a little more prone to burn in than new stuff. :P

When I worked the software department of Future Shop I used to get asked all the time if hooking a video game up to a projection TV would damage it -- for some reason there seems to be a resurgence and alteration to the old burn-in rumour that it only harms projection televisions. It's still as rediculous today as it was back then, even when burn-in was a concern to televisions running devices that didn't have some sort of attract mode -- you'd still have to have it running day in, day out on the same image for many, many months, before burn-in happened.

It's just old rumours making the rounds again. Pay it no mind.

It's just old rumours making the rounds again.

In defense of those who believe everything that they read (I am most certainly not referring to myself but unfortunately to a LARGE portion of our society), some of this is probably thanks to Nintendo. In the instruction manual for their games, there is a full page warning about not using your system on a projection TV. It is very prominent and could be very scary to a non-educated consumer...... :roll:

A streo/tv store I previously worked at, a customer bought a 62 inch Sony rear projection big screen from us. He had it as a secondary TV in the basement and "never" uses it. He had it for over 9 months. He had it on the whole time with no source(dvd, cable, etc.) activated. With the TV on and not recieving any source, it shows the channel/status in the top right corner (CH 3, VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, etc). Needless to say, he had a burn in of VIDEO 2 burned into the screen. Which is not covered under warranty. That is the same as abuse. TURN OFF THE TV WHEN YOU ARE NOT WATCHING IT!