IGNORED

APE setup on PC connected to LAN?

Draugr

Hi,

I was wondering if the following is possible with an Atari 130 XE and APE connected to a Pentium 233MMX 128 MB RAM, 2 GB HD system. My Pc system is connected to the internet through my LAN. Is there A) A web browser for Atari 130 XE systems, and B) with APE connected and running, can I browse the internet on my Atari 130XE system? How about email? Just curious, but it would be fun to surf the web on an Atari 8-bit computer.

The APE cable and/or SIO2PC cable are generally connected through the RS232 ports or printer port. With the APE software you can use a utility called 'Remote control' which is downloaded to the Atari XE by the Ape software and cable and lets you take control of the PC's printers, modems, etc. I have never heard of one of these cables being made for use through a LAN port, but I'm sure it's possible (on the cable end), but I doubt if the APE software would recognize it, you would have to probably use the older software that originally made use of the SIO2PC cable (both cables are compatible with APE). Anyhow, I know there are terminal programs like ICE-T, which I've not bothered to try, so I'm not sure how much of a "browser" it is, but yes, it is possible to connect the XE to the internet, but you would be restricted to 19,200 baud, I think. I'm not sure how the ICE-T program actually works though, I'll have to check it out. I'm sure there are other programs that would work too, like BObterm, etc. and I do know that there is at least one site that was recently enabled to be specifically Atari 8-bit computer/emulator friendly. Unfortunately I forget the address off hand, I think they also have a BBS number to call and log in without the use of a PC. Basically, it's possible, but I'm uncertain of the extent of what can be done/used on the net, most likely it will be strictly text/html stuff. But I don't believe it can work through LAN.