IGNORED

Programming new 7800 Games

Cousin Vinnie

I understand that people really dig the nostalgia of the 2600, but why isn't their a movement of new 7800 games being programmed???

I heard that there isn't alot of info on the guts of the 7800 available, but how different could the 7800 and the 2600 be?

I have two ideas for games I would love to program...but they wouldn't work on a 2600.

Just curious,

Cousin Vinnie

I heard that there isn't alot of info on the guts of the 7800 available, but how different could the 7800 and the 2600 be?

When it comes to programming, they're very different. I looked into the 7800 before I started my 5200 project and discovered that it would take a long time to learn how the 7800 worked. If I ever get one of those 7800 developers kits or a monitor cart I'll give it another shot.

Tempest

The reason is probably that until recently the information and tools needed to do development have been very hard to come by. The first emulator only appeared about two years ago, and the tech docs didn't hit the net until even more recently. Another problem is the problem of producing actual new carts for the 7800 is the all 7800 carts have to contain a special vaildation key or they won't work on a real 7800. There is currently no way to produce these keys, but someone did recently come up with a way around this that did not require a modified 7800.

As the other poster mentioned the 7800 graphics hardware is totally different the the 2600 (or 5200 for that matter).

With all that said, I hope some people do get interested in writing some 7800 games, it would be cool to see the system pushed to it's limits.

Dan

I always felt that Atari gave up on the 7800 way too early. With Tarmiels cheapness he killed off any innovative games that might have saved the 7800 (like Timelords of Xanic). If I ever get my 5200 project done my next project will be for the 7800 (hopefully with a dev. kit).

Tempest

I have never programmed a game before...but when I want to do something, I normally achieve it.

I have two ideas that would be really cool...and before I die, I would like to at least try to program a game or two. Whenever that guy comes out with programming the 2600 for dummies, I'll take a stab at that.

Cousin Vinnie

I always felt that Atari gave up on the 7800 way too early.  With Tarmiels cheapness he killed off any innovative games that might have saved the 7800 (like Timelords of Xanic).

Well, actually, while it is true that they never gave it any decent support in quantity of games or marketing, the last games for it came out in '91 or '92. I'd say that is pretty long term support; '86 or '87 to '91 or '92. Unless you count the games that were made pre-Tremiel, then you could say, '84 to '91 or 2. The XEGS actually got less support and for fewer years(I'm talking XEGS and it's XE carts only, not 8-bit coumputers). The computer line actually saved the XEGS from being the most dismal Atari console of all, if not for all the older carts, and the ability to use disk based software, it would have had, like 15 games or there abouts. Does anyone know offhand they actual number of XE cartridges released? But, yeah, the 7800 COULD have had much better support. I disagree that Activision pushed it to it's limits, games like Tower Toppler or Commando blow the Activison games out of the water graphically.

I'm not sure if anyone had the rights to Commando but Taito(?) or whatever company it was that released the arcade game. At the time, it came out on the C64, 7800, NES, and even the Intellivsion 3!!!

By the way, I've seen every version and think the 7800 version is the best of them all(NES comes real close and is arguably as good or better). The C64 version looks like crap(compared to the others, maybe what it would have looked like on an 8-bit or 5200?) Did it ever come out on XE cart? I think it was supposed too.