IGNORED

Rare's first title on the Xbox

JagMX

Then comes the camera controls. Because the right stick is used for attacks, the L and R triggers are used to sweep the camera left and right. Not necessarily a bad system, but the confined rooms filled to the brim with objects can often make the camera get into some strange positions. The fact that enemies are attacking you from all sides only makes trying to find the optimal angle even that much more frustrating.

I know the ideal camera angle: Straight above looking downward.

But then, you'd have Berzerk, because that's what this game is: A roomful of enemies trying to kill you, so you must kill them first. Ghoulies = Berzerk in 3D with powerups.

i know rare makes good stuff

Not anymore really... they certainly haven't done anything impressive since the N64, and even the later N64 games they made were often not very good.

As for Perfect Dark, there's a sequel (prequel?) coming out called Perfect Dark Zero. There's also a new Conker game that's in the works (although from what I can tell, it's a deathmatch only game, which sounds crappy to me). I'm not aware of any Banjo Kazooie stuff in the works.

--Zero

The conkers game not only has deathmatch but also includes the original conker's game with updated graphics as well as the "director's edition", meaning they put the stuff back in that Nintendo made them take out. I never really cared much for Rare's stuff that much on the N64 including Perfect Dark. Conker's was a fun romp but the other stuff was not my bag. Ghoulies looks alright but not something I'll run out and buy right away.

i know rare makes good stuff

Not anymore really... they certainly haven't done anything impressive since the N64, and even the later N64 games they made were often not very good.

As for Perfect Dark, there's a sequel (prequel?) coming out called Perfect Dark Zero. There's also a new Conker game that's in the works (although from what I can tell, it's a deathmatch only game, which sounds crappy to me). I'm not aware of any Banjo Kazooie stuff in the works.

--Zero

i dont think theyve had enough time to do much after the n64, espcially with MS buying them away from nintendo with no more left on the cube - i liked stuff they put out on the snes, and the arcades (mainly KIller Instinct) was great - i think they'll put out great titles onthe box - only time will tell :D

Exactly how many games have they made since the 64? ;) All I was aware of was Star Fox Adventures, and it was excelent. (my opinion) And the funny thing there, I didn't buy it because it was a Rare game first, I bought it because it was a Star Fox game first. Would have liked a space shooter better, but it was cool.

I noticed lots of people used to like Rare. Fact of the matter is, a lot of peple that all of a sudden think rare sucks, are Nintendo Fanboys. The ones that used to, but won't admit to it, and now say it sucks? You know what I'm talking about. The people that bought Nintendo systems for Rare games, like some people bought Sony systems for the Square Games. Their just mad cause they already bought the cube, and can't afford an X-Box. :P Which is funny because X-Box now costs less than GameCube did when it started.

To tell the truth, Nintendo, and Rare games are the only ones I had to look forward to on Cube. Now it's just Nintendo. I'm not saying no other good games will come, I'm saying that for me, there's no other guaranteed good games coming.

I'll get this game for X-Box, I think it's a dumbed down Conker for kids. And if it plays like that, that's cool. It'll give me something to figure if rare really knows the system or not. Hey, Starfox Adventures at the time was one of the best looking games on cube.

I never thought Rare was "all that". Yeah, I enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie and Conker, but the other games I could have lived without (like Battletoads).

As for Starfox Adventures, it was a fun little game, but nothing special. The different parts just didn't flow well together (like a FF or Zelda game). What really killed it was the final battle. After ~30 hours of leveling up with new weapons, suddenly you jump into a ship and fight the final boss. It made all the previous leveling up/fighting *pointless.*

So anyway, Rare doesn't impress me much. Maybe if all I had was a poorly-supported N64, I'd drool over them, but I'm not that poor. I have other (and better) choices than Rare.

LOL sounds like a lot of scripted guilty speach for someone saying nothing more than "I'm not a Rare fanboy" ;)

One thing I hated about Starfox Adventures is the stupid mini games that were there for nothing more than the sake of doing them. Like beating the little bastids off the dinosaur eggs, or the little thing with the green bar you had to keep the line in. Stupid crap that served no purpose but 'had' to be done.

Besides, you missed the story altogether. All the stuff you did on the planet wasn't to fight Andros, it was to pull the planet back together to save the solar system. The fight with Andros was just something you luck upon. Yes, everybody knew you'd fight him, but I doubt anybody figured anything you did on the planet would have anything to do with that.

Don't forget that Starfox Adventures wasn't originally planned to be a Starfox game... they just crammed McCloud into it for marketing purposes really. The game was originally planned to be an N64 game called "Dinosaur Planet".

As for Rare, personally I think that Battletoads was one of their best games (If you've only ever played the NES version, go get MAME and try the arcade version... it's even better). I also thought Donkey Kong Country was overrated though, so whatever.

--Zero