IGNORED

Asterix NTSC confirmed 100%

CPUWIZ

Yes, but is this confrmed as a cart that was commercially available in NTSC format?  If not, I don't see why this shouldn't still be considered a prototype.

Yes, I just talked to Rick Weis yesterday and he has had his boxed NTSC Asterix for 4 years now. :)

It's clearly a 10.

So what's Obelix??

It doesn't appear to be a hack...Or is it?

And is Asterix a hack of Taz...Or vice versa?

:idea: Asterix is an "official" hack of TAZ, while Obelix is a completely different game.

So if you change the graphics on Thrust for instance and change the title you would call that a hack ? Wouldn't you call that a variation, he did program them both and so did you ?

So if you change the graphics on Thrust for instance and change the title you would call that a hack ? Wouldn't you call that a variation, he did program them both and so did you ?

It depends on how you define hack.

If only the graphics are changed and the whole gameplay etc. would be the same, IMO that's a hack.

Though Asterix is maybe somewhere in a grey area, because, unlike real hacks/pirates, it was probably reassembled from exisiting source code. Maybe they changed a little bit more than you could do by simply hacking (=patching) an existing binary.

This all came first to light when my other half Kris (Queen of the Felines) offered Steve $150 for a shrinked copy of Asterix from the supposed case of them he received (and subsequently rediscovered he had) for programming the game. She got it from him at CGE, so at least I've had a chance to see, touch and use the damn thing myself ;)

After that all hell broke loose, wondering if it was really NTSC. So she opened it up, plugged it into her 2600 and it worked fine. Since then of course Steve wised up to how rare it really was and the price went up with it :P

How much did you pay for yours CPUWiz?

i guess i have to start another thread over in the rarity section for ntsc asterix. so far, i've seen posts from the following that have ntsc asterix:

myself

queen of the felines

rick weis

cpuwiz

steve woita (and whoever else he has sold one to)

anyone else here have an ntsc asterix?

It depends on how you define hack.

Related Question: Is Super Mario Bros 2 a "hack" of Doki Doki Panic? Seems to me that if the answer is no, than the answer is no to Taz and Asterix.