IGNORED

Splatform 2600 (just another new homebrew minigame)

Thomas Jentzsch

Ok, here we go again. :)

Attached you find an Atari 2600 version of the 2002 Minigame Competition 1K winning game made by Robin Harbron (BTW: He has just won this years 4K category!).

It's a simple but fun platform jumping game with an infinite number of levels with increasing difficulty. The games is almost finished (and yes, it has a name :)), but it now needs to be tested and tuned.

You have 4 lifes, how far can you get?

UPDATE: Added fixed version 0.91

UPDATE: Added smooth scrolling version 0.95

UPDATE: Replaced v0.95 with fixed v0.96

UPDATE: Added version 0.98 with different bouncing physics

UPDATE: Replace v0.98 with fixed v0.99

UPDATE: Added final(?) version 1.01

post-45-1067528609_thumb.jpg

splatform_2600__v0.91_.zip

splatform_2600__v0.96_.zip

splatform_2600__v0.99_.zip

splatform_2600__v1.01_.zip

Good work!

Gfx is even better than the C64 version and the game is a bit easier (that's good).

Wait until you get to the higher levels. :evil:

I think I have to adjust/limit the increasing difficulty (less platforms) somewhat (around level 8 it becomes almost impossible now)

Will it be possible to move to the right in the final version.

Unfortunately that won't work. Unlike the C64 original, who could keep the whole level in RAM I am having to generate the platforms on the fly and the algorithm doesn't allow to go back (to many parameters involved).

Hm, maybe i'll make a A8 port.

Good idea, see you in next years minigame competition. :)

This thing doesn't work in stella on the mac, any suggestions?

Sorry, but I am using illegal opcodes (not supported by older Stellas :sad:) inside the kernel now and I don't think I can change that.

You better find a talented Mac programmer who recompiles MacStella with the newer CPU emulation core. It should be as simple as that.

This game is unbelievable.  Lot's of fun, thanks for making another 1k gem.  I would agree with an email on the stella list that it would be cool to have a paddle controller version of this game.

Hm, I am not sure about that, paddle control might make the whole thing too easy.

And I don't think it will fit into my kernel/code anyway. :)

Well, I'll think about that...

Will it be possible to move to the right in the final version.

Unfortunately that won't work. Unlike the C64 original, who could keep the whole level in RAM I am having to generate the platforms on the fly and the algorithm doesn't allow to go back (to many parameters involved).

Could you use a polynomial counter like in Pitfall! so it's reversable?

Could you use a polynomial counter like in Pitfall! so it's reversable?

I wish it would be as simple as that.

New platforms are generated based on a factor which is determined by the number of platforms (and their size) currently on screen. This factor is then compared with a random number.

For each column (40) 19 new random numbers are generated. So I would have to go back 19*40 = 760 iterations. Since the random generator repeats after 255 iterations, that would be only 5 iterations forward. So this is no problem.

BUT, since the new left column would depend on the previous 40 columns I would have to reconstruct those too etc. until the start of the level. Therefore the level generation is not reversible.

This looks like it could get very addictive. Is there a way you can make it so you can reset by pushing fire after the 4 lives are gone? Other than getting up after every game, it is a winner to me so far.

Currently pressing the fire button also starts a new level. Using that one for a new game might cause you to accidently start a new game.

And a little physical exercise isn't that bad, is it? :D

And a little physical exercise isn't that bad, is it?

That fire button setup is what you used on Cave 1k, and it is also how Yar's Revenge is set up too. I have never been a big fan of exercise. :)

You should put this on a cart when you are done.

I highly doubt that any of the minigames will ever make it to cartrige. I am willing to bet that the demand isnt enough to make the carts

I highly doubt that any of the minigames will ever make it to cartrige. I am willing to bet that the demand isnt enough to make the carts

I'll say the same thing I did about the Lynx game contest, if you put four or six mini-games on one megacart then people will buy it :D

I'll say the same thing I did about the Lynx game contest, if you put four or six mini-games on one megacart then people will buy it :D

Yeah, that would be a good idea, put all the mini-games that Thomas does and put them on one cart. Hell even Cave 1k and this one would be a sellable cart I think. But you never know. Go thru all the trouble to make boxes and manuals for them and then they don't sell :|

How about a multi-cartridge with a few mini games?

You could call it:

Thomas Jentzsch Anthology

Thomas Jentzsch Hot Action Pak

or maybe

Xype Hot Action Pak

Onscreen game select would be nice ;)

Sandy