IGNORED

New Odyssey 2 Homebrew: Kill the attacking Aliens!

Cybergoth

Hi there!

Soeren Gust has just published a first "Release Candidate" of his upcoming Odyssey 2 Shoot 'em up Kill the Attacking Aliens!

88.png

I've played it for a couple of hours yesterday and I must say I'm very impressed. It's easily one of the best O2 games ever!

Check out the Videobrewery for a project diary, there you can give Soeren some feedback.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

So which Odyssey consoles would support the + version, and which wouldn't?

And which emulators do :?:

@MMF: In Europe, the G7400 does, the G7000 doesn't. Unfortunately I don't know about the U.S. consoles.

@TJ: O2EM can do both. According to Soeren you need a different BIOS ROM. I haven't yet tracked it down though. BUT AFAIK, all what the + stuff does is just displaying the hires, non-interacting background. It adds nothing to the gameplay.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Any idea when he's going to put this thing on a chip in a plastic casing?

I fear this is in your own hands:

If no bigger problems show up I will release the final version sometime in December. The final version will include the full source code under GPL, a manual and a cart label for people who want to build carts.

Seems like O2 homebrewing is far from the Atari level :sad:

I dunno. Maybe any of the known Atari producers can do O2 games as well? Or maybe John Dondzilla could produce a run?

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Seems like O2 homebrewing is far from the Atari level :sad:

Maybe that is a direct result of the lower O2 collector level?

Well, the O2 is the classic love-or-hate console.

Since there is no reason to love it, most people tend to hate it. The one's loving it are just doing so in spite :P :D

Greetings,

Manuel

So which Odyssey consoles would support the + version, and which wouldn't?

@MMF: In Europe, the G7400 does, the G7000 doesn't. Unfortunately I don't know about the U.S. consoles.

There is no equivalent to the G7400 in the US, unless you count the unreleased Odyssey3.

No cart release? Bummer... :(

G7400's won't work in the U.S. unless you have the right equipment, or know how to mod the console. First you need a converter for the Euro power plug and voltage. G7400's also have Euro-style RF plugs, which aren't compatible with any U.S. video input that I know of. And, since G7400's output a PAL signal, you need a TV or video card capable of handling PAL.

I've heard that G7400's can be modded for composite video, but I haven't seen any plans for it anywhere. There are also some G7400 models that have an SCART connector, which might be a better solution for the video problems, but they seem to be rather scarce.

If you're looking for the G7400 BIOS or ROMs, Digital Press has some here.

• 1 month later...

How do I use the O+ bios? Do I treat it like a game, type in my path to the O2 emulator, then the O2+ bios, then the game? Or am I supposed to do something else?

I haven't got an O2 emulator yet, I'm going to go looking after posting since nortons running and it's a bieotch when I try downloading compressed stuff.

Hi there!

How do I use the O+ bios?  Do I treat it like a game, type in my path to the O2 emulator, then the O2+ bios, then the game?  Or am I supposed to do something else?

O2EM will load the bios for you automatically if you give it the right name: O2ROM.BIN

BTW: I need some competition:

o2.jpg

Greetings,

Manuel