IGNORED

Jung Atari Lynx reviews

bergbros

I have been reading Jung's review of Atari Lynx games on Electric Escapes website (Administrators, I think a link to this site is in order). I think his reviews are generally on target however I disagreed with his review of Robotron when he said the firing controls were acceptable. Do you believe this guys reviews are reliable? What did you think of his review of Electrocop and California Games? He slams them but some posters list these games as their favorites. Of course, I would get second opinions from this site where necessary.

Speaking of second opinions, I like some input on the games Rygar and Shadow of the Beast. I like Rygar in the arcades, however I understand that there are some differences between the Lynx and the arcade. Shadow of the Beast I understand is really hard. Is it worth while?

A game review is basically someone's opinion of a game, and, well, you know what they say about opinions.....

As far as Robert Jung's reviews, I always enjoyed reading them. There's quite a few of his that I agree with....and quite a few that I don't. I definitely didn't agree with his CA Games review, for instance, but did agree with his APB. The best thing to do is find a few more reviews and see if there's a pattern in them...for instance, how many reviews agree that a particular game sucks? Just try finding what different reviews of the same game have in common, and you can probably get a pretty good idea of how the game is.

As far as the two games you mentioned...Rygar is definitely based off the arcade game, but I wouldn't consider it a perfect port by any stretch of the imagination. On it's own, though, I think it's one of the most underrated games on the Lynx. The graphics are pretty good, but the controls can seem pretty loose sometimes, especially when you're trying to do spot-on jumps. I'd definitely pick this one up if you can find it for a decent price.

Shadow of the Beast is, well, SofB. If you've played the Amiga or Atari ST versions, then you should know what to expect. As far as the Lynx version goes, it has incredible graphics and a great soundtrack, but controls are a bit stiff at times, and the difficulty borders on the impossible. Pick it up if you like pretty graphics and music. Stay away if you insist on games that are beatable. Hope this helps you out!

I agree that opinions are like tastes. I guess an emulator and pre-trying the games are the best bet.

Since you were good on your take on Rygar and Shadow of the Beast, I need some two cents on Zarlor Mercenary. It looks good but it only has six levels. That does not sound like much replay value to me. Maybe I should throw out games like that Mike Myers character in Coffee Talk. Awesome Golf is not Awesome or Golf. Discuss.

Honestly, I've only played Zarlor Mercenary once, and that was about 6 or 7 years ago. From what I remember, though, it seemed pretty decent, although I really can't tell you much about replay value.

I can't disagree about Awesome Golf. It had some novel ideas but horrible execution.

If you'd like, I can give you my take on some of my favorite Lynx games. Although I've played most of them, I currently own only about 15 or so. My all-time favorites are probably Warbirds, Battlewheels, California Games, and Rampart. A few others that stick out in my mind are Batman Returns (not much gameplay-wise, but a well done game nonetheless), STUN Runner, Xybots, Xenophobe, and Turbo Sub. I haven't played any of the Songbird releases yet, but I plan on rectifying that in the near future.

Interesting you feel Awesome Golf is not good as Mr. Jung put that game in his top ten. I tell you, I can't get Rampart out of my Lynx. The concept is so simple, yet original and deep with many strategy elements. It is challenging yet has a nice gradual learning curve. Everything has importance and an impact on the game, from your choice of castle, placement of cannons and blocks, to who you fire on and when. Rampart is just good on many levels.

I agree, it's one of the most professional looking games on the Lynx. They really hit the nail on the head with this version.

My only problem with it is finding someone to play against. Anyone in Austin wanna take me on?

I'm beginning to think we should start a perpetual Lynx review thread.

Shadow of the Beast is, well, SofB. If you've played the Amiga or Atari ST versions, then you should know what to expect. As far as the Lynx version goes, it has incredible graphics and a great soundtrack, but controls are a bit stiff at times, and the difficulty borders on the impossible. Pick it up if you like pretty graphics and music. Stay away if you insist on games that are beatable. Hope this helps you out![/QB]

I liked SotB more than the Atari ST version (Never really played the Amiga version). It has more depth than the ST and Amiga versions. And with some practice Lynx SotB is beatable since I did that some years ago.

Robert

P.S. Ever saw the C64 version of SotB? It looks quite good but it must load level data so many times that it is no fun to play it.