IGNORED

Perpetual Lynx Review Thread

Sauron

Post your own reviews of Lynx games on this thread. No particular template or format is needed. This is just a good place to put your opinions on Lynx games that you've owned. Just be sure to put the name of the game at the top of your post. I'll start it off....

California Games

Most games that are meant as tech demos usually aren't anything special gameplay-wise, but California Games is definitely an exception. This isn't a game that you can actually "beat." It consists of four different mini-games: BMX, Surfing, Half-pipe, and Footbag. None of the mini-games provide a whole bucketfull of depth, but each one of them has their own form of play, tight controls, and enough addiction to keep you coming back to beat your high score. Combine this gameplay with some of the best graphics you'll see on the Lynx, and you have an excellent addition to your Lynx library. This game is a must-have.

CHIP'S CHALLENGE

GRAPHICS 8/10

This game is great. The graphics are pretty basic, but look nice. The only probem is when you walk the floor moves really weird. But the ending screen looks really cool.

SOUND 7/10

I don't have many Lynx ames to compare the sound to but it's good. The music gets a tad bit annoying, but most background music does. The music is really all background and could be better. Overall the music is pretty good, I think they should've worked more on the effects of 'raging' fire and 'splashing' water. The sound is pretty good though.

GAMEPLAY 10/10

This is the reason this is my favorite lynx games. The game is a puzzle game ( you probably all think beat it once and trade it NO)This game goes on FOREVER. To be exact there's 144 puzzles! I love the game but can't beat it. The good thing is they give you a password every level. You may feel a little cheated out though when you win. All tha happens is a little short 10 secod movie. Te games diffuculty is perfect, it's not to hard, bt not to easy.

REPLAY 6/10

Although once you figure a level out you already beat it, some aren't like that. There' a couple of levels you will forget how to beat.

OVERALL 9/10

No Lynx collection is complete without it. It's as simple as that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta revive this thread...

Warbirds

Ever dream of becoming a World War I fighter pilot? If so, then Warbirds is the game for you. If not, it's still the game for you. Dogfighting on any console has never been this good. Set in a first person view from the cockpit, you fly around a relatively large playfield, complete with clouds, mountains, and even a "barn" to land at when you run out of ammo. The controls are fairly responsive, and even include options for "arcade" or "simulation" settings. You can even pick what kind of damage you can take, and how much ammo you and your opponents are carrying. The one player game isn't incredibly deep, but the computer still provides a challenging opponent. This game is definitely at it's best when linked up with friends. This title is a must-have for any Lynx owner.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have recently been givin a chance to tryout Lemmings... What a great puzzle game! It seems to be very simular to (if not the same as) the Amiga version of Lemmings. If you are into puzzle games, give this one a try! :D

Game Object:

When the game starts, the Lemmings start falling onto the screen through a trap door. Your goal is to teach various Lemmings a skill to help them get past obsticals and back out the exit door. Sound easy? I don't thinks so! Just like life, this game is full of surprises! :ponder:

A.P.B.

I love this game in the arcades with all of its secret scoring and breakneck pace. The Lynx game seems to have all the bells and whistles, however the controls are a real drawback and provide a frustrating experience. The joypad and buttons really do not go well with this game and the result is, like Robotron, you are constantly thinking of the controls rather than enjoyng the aspects of the game that make it worthwhile in the arcades. A disappointment

Lexis is surprisingly fun, although rather difficult. If you're one of the people addicted to those word games on Yahoo you'll love this title -- now you can take it with you.

Not the best game for special effects, mind you, but the gameplay is a blast.

Eric

Dracula The Undead is one of my favorite lynx games.

In following with the first 5 chapters of Bram Stokers novel (which i re-read when I got stuck in the game) you are trapped in Dracula's castle and must escape. Unlike the run jump kick and shoot games, you do this through exploration of the castle, searching and examining everything for tools and clues, and hopefully taking notes if you want to get out alive. It's not surprising that it is for ages 14 and up, as this game can be quite challenging.

The graphics and sound on this cart are extra-ordinary, and give a feel of one of the old Bella Lugosi films as you play through. One finds themselves falling into the game and it's intoxicating environment of the castle.

There are only 3 ways to die, by-passable if you ever fall victim to them, so the real challenge comes from trying everything untill you find a way to advance further in the game.

This can be daunting to new players, as it takes some time to get used to the controls and options of this game.

There are two improvements that I wish had been undertaken in this game. Battery backup so you can save where you are, and a longer game. Once you beat it, you know everything, so you find yourself only going back to the game to be impressed by the graphics and sound.

This game is highly demonstrative of the capabilities of the lynx, highly recommended, and i wish there had been more like it.

• Like 1

Here are a few of my lightweight reviews from years ago. They had appeared in the AtariVideoClub newsletter, but I'm the original author.

AWESOME GOLF - for the Lynx is an incredible sports simulation filled with options, great graphics, & realistic play. You can choose Medal or Practice play on one of 3 courses: England, Japan, or USA. You can choose your golfer's gender, outfit, & colors as well as your handicap. You can even select to golf with a slight breeze or strong wind for added challenge. Before teeing off, you're shown the hole number, name, par, & distance. A separate screen with a full bag of clubs allows you to select one best suited for the shot. When hitting the ball, a vertical power bar displays the strength & accuracy of your shot as your golfer executes a smooth backswing or putt. Watch out for bunkers, trees, & water hazards. You can even zoom in on any part of the hole you're playing- this effect is "awesome"! Also in the game is a scorecard (for up to 4 players when ComLynxed), fullmaps of each course, driving ranges, & chatter from Chipper the chipmunk. all this makes for a superb golf game that's more than up to par!

HYDRA - for the Lynx is a version of a game you may have missed at the arcade. It's similar to many games in that you're alone in a race against time & must destroy many enemies. Your goal is to deliver cargo to allied locations via the world's waterways, piloting a small maneuverable watercraft. Many weapons are on hand to deal with your enemies- there's always something to shoot! Upon reaching each allied bunker you are awarded points, & then go for bonus points in the Dome. Then it's off to buy weapons at Ziggy's. There are homing missiles, boosts for limited flight, fuel, shields- all you need to fight your way through enemy-laden territory. I'd say the ominous music that plays at each starting point is the best sound in the game. The graphics are scaled down from the arcade but the skies & 3D effects are well-done. There's plenty of nonstop action in Hydra, so if you like speedy shooting games, it won't leave you all wet.

XYBOTS- is a virtually flawless arcade-to-portable translation for 1 or 2 players. Your mission is to explore several mazes, collecting equipment & destroying robots that are out to neutralize YOU! In the mazes you'll find keys, extra blasters, energy pods (50 & 100%), & coins. The are warps available by unlocking certain doors- using a warp replenishes energy & awards you extra coins. Upon exiting a maze, you can buy various powerups like speed, shot strength, & enemy mappers. The 3D perspective & scrolling are excellent, & the character control is well-adapted, as the arcade version used a unique pivoting joystick. There's even a separate map screen so you won't get lost. The only things missing are voice synthesis & one robot type, but the music, graphics, & gameplay are all there. If you don't have a similar game, why not...Xybots?

Well, I would have done a review for Hydra or Warbirds, but since someone already has...My review is of one of the late, great releases for the little kitty, that is, before Atari went under.

BATTLEWHEELS!

This game is SWEET! Want a game to make other systems INCLUDING the GBA look like yesterdays portables? Well BattleWheels is one of several on the lynx that can do this...

It is a driver's seat FPS game made to be played with one or multiple players via comlynx. The 3D scrolling is smooth as silk, fast, and the graphics are detailed. there are four views for the four sides of your car, and weapons galore to put on all sides. You can even jump out of your car to run around with a pistol. This is important for two reasons; 1) if your car takes too much damage and you want to get out and live before it goes up in flames, and 2) to pick up money or other power-ups strewn about the landscape. You can then run back to your car and get in if it isn't totaled. Or, you can choose an "on foot" game where EVERYONE runs around as foot soldiers and leave the cars behind altogether!

It will take some practice to get used to all the controls and options you have in this game, but once you do, it all becomes second nature to you.

Arenas range in variety with many locals and range in size from moderate to absolutley huge. there are few to many obstacles strewn about depending on the arena including buildings and trees and telephone posts plus much more...even tumble weeds rolling by.

You start with and earn money while you play and you can choose from a line up of premade vehicles that can be customized or build your own from scratch. All are upgradable if you have the cash. Both with weaponry and armor and other improvements. Hours and hours of destructive fun alone or with friends.

Graphics 10/10

Sound 8/10

music 7/10

gameplay 10/10

replay value 10/10

VIKING CHILD -- I bought this when it came out and hated it. The graphics were small and the little character moves too slow. But I sort of rediscovered it not too long ago and it's not a bad little platform game. It's no Sonic, but it would make a decent addition to anyone's collection.

Eric

• 8 months later...

Some may say that i am just making an excuse to revive this thread - and the're correct, cos I think it is a good way to inform others our views on games.

Review title: Battlezone2000

Battlezone was always one of my fondest old arcade memories, I've had a version for the Dragon 32 (TRS-80) since the early eighties called Rommels Revenge which was the best version ever made, but has the Lynx version taken that crown?

Graphics 9 : This is my favourite bit, as they are near arcade style vector graphics and feel very accurate. The environment is fast and smooth but I wish more enemy types were in the game.

Sound 3 : Nothing to get excited about, quite plain really.

Gameplay 8: It looks right, it feels right, but something is wrong...maybe my memory is jaded (loads Rommels revenge into vintage Dragon 32 for comparison) Well the Lynx version is very good but The Dragon 32 version just pips it on gameplay.

Extras 10 : How about the biggest easter egg ever...a whole new version of the game in filled vector graphics!!!! I kid you not.

Overall 8 : I recommend it and it plays very well, it looks and plays similar to the original battlezone, which is a relief for anyone who has suffered that dreadful 2600 version (ooooh the nightrmares)

If you have a Dragon 32 and a copy of RR then play that instead they are almost identical but the Lynx version is faster but the enemies are more predictable.

• Like 1

I only have a few Lynx games, and I admit to not being an avid game player. That said...

California Games: Graphics and sound are pretty good. Everytime I fire this up I play surfing about 10 times, and BMX about 3. I never, ever play Footbag (seems really boring and hard.) Skating looks like it might be ok, but I can't keep my stupid guy on the board. Too hard. Did I mention surfing? It is very good. Easy to learn, but enough depth to come back to again to beat your previous score. Pull off the quadruple 360! Did that, pull off the triple 360 back toward the leading edge of the wave.

Blue Lightning: This game looks great and the tile sequence is very cool. Unfortunately the game isn't that much fun for me. I end up just firing blindly and moving all over to avoid missles. A better game player might have more fun, being able to deal with the frantic nature of some parts of the game. I think I have made it about three or four levels in.

Qix: Too hard! I have this game on the 8-bit computer and I could always get several levels into the game. On the lynx I'm lucky to get three levels in. I don't like the controls. I don't like pressing the button to start drawing. Perhaps this was the way it was in the arcade... I didn't play the arcade Qix.

Gauntlet 3: I was expecting to see the old gauntlet characters when I bought this game. Nope, you have a stupid assortment of funny characters to play with. The game isn't too bad though. I guess it would be better with two players, unfortunately I don't have anyone to comlynx with.

Rampart: This is a good game. It took me a couple of tries to figure out the controls and the best way to rebuild the castle, but once I did that... the game is very good. I find it pretty hard, but not unusually hard. I never played the arcade version, but I saw it quite a bit. Why hasn't someone done an 8-bit port of this game?

Chips Challenge: This is a neat little puzzle game. There's a few things I don't like about it though. The controls are touchy. I find that when I'm walking past some water, fire or bombs I have a tendency to accidently press diagonally when I wanted to press down. This may be a shortcoming of the lynx itself though or my joystick technique (I notice this problem with Qix too.) Some levels are dead easy, while others make you do a mind-numbing 10 minutes of simple maze manipulations and one hard thing at the end. It's annoying as hell to have to redo the 10 minutes of boring stuff to get to the one thing you didn't figure out last time around. I've put the game down in disgust because of this, but I always pick it up later when I'm refreshed!

Klax: Excellent game, great graphics and sound. I don't even mind the vertical lynx configuration with this game although it is hard to adjust the contrast properly. I find the game gets hard very quickly though, and I don't understand the difficulty choices at the beginning (I bought the game loose, no manual.) This is a game I would break out once in a while to play. I wouldn't spend hours playing it though... but I bore easily of these type of games.

Here's my full review of SOKOMANIA:

I think this is one of the most addictive puzzlers on the Lynx. I find myself swearing up and down that a level is not possible, only to later figure out what I wasn't seeing. It really makes you think. I'd compare its strategy to the number sliding doo-dads of days gone by (or Vid Grid on the Jag). Some may not agree with hefty price tag that this game still carries. I say buy this one up before there are no more to be had. It's definitely worth it.

Graphics - Simple but effective. Walls, Crates, Drop zones and the pulsing red dot that represents your 'forklift'.

Sound - Nice music (though somewhat repetive) and the option to turn it off is a plus. I think it's called 'the entertainer' or at least a rip-off of it.

Gameplay - Nothing fancy going here, just a little bit of brain power. You're not going to play it for hours on end. I try to make it through at least one level each time I play it. I'd compare its gameplay to Gridders, which was available on a few platforms in the early 90's.

Options - There is a configuration option that falls somewhat into the category of gameplay. You can change the movement of your 'forklift' from choppy (for quick thinkers?) to smooth (for smooth people?). This option eliminates erroneous movements at inopportune times. Like at the end of a level in games like Crystal Mines and Chip's Challenge. It can still happen, but this option lessens the liklihood of you throwing your Lynx across the room.

***Please note that only a Lynx I will stand up to this type of abuse.

Extras - None that I'm aware of.

Overall - A definite must own for the serious Lynxer.

PS - I rate this game a '10' in all areas, but others feel that this is only deserving of the cream of the crop games. In my opinion, this game is everything I'd hoped it would be - and then some! Maybe its overall is only a '9.5' due to the lack of extras! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I appreciate the continued contributions to this thread. Keep those reviews coming! :D

Edit: I've made this thread a sticky so that I don't have to keep digging it up. Let's see some more reviews!

All Reviews out of ten

Kung Food: 5

Chip's Challenge: 6

Crystal Mines II: 9

Hydra: 6

Battlewheels: 8

Tournament Cyberball: 4

Xybots: 6

Rampart: 10

Super Sweek: 5

Dracula: 6

Klax: 10

STUN Runner: 9

Paperboy: 9

Steel Talons: 3

Qix: 8

Scrapyard Dog: 7

Batman Returns: 5

Warbirds: 6

Dinolympics: 7

Blockout: 8

Pinball Jam: 6

APB: 9

Roadblasters: 7

Gates of Zendocon: 8

Power Factor: 6

Cousin Vinnie

Cool it's a sticky now....glad I revived it from the near dead.

Ok so I gave you a positive review...let's go the other end of the spectrum.

Review title: KUNG FOOD

I had heard some mixed views about this game on these forums so was keen to take a look myself, and thanks to the wonders of Ebay, a copy was soon coming my way.

Graphics 5 : I fail to see why they are so plain and poorly animated. The Lynx can do a hell of a lot better. I think they may have been going for the Arcade look, but this is quite poor. I can't confirm what later levels look like as I haven't got there.

Sound 5 : I'll be generous and give it a 5 as most Lynx games do not excell in the sound department (although there are a few which are excellent).

Gameplay 3 : I struggled to play this for more than an hour, it is that bad. The controls are ok but very basic. I felt I had to play to give a fair review. I didn't get very far, and I doubt it gets better. It is unlikely this will enter my cartridge slot again.

Overall 4 : This is so basic it could have been released in 1983! It is a poor quality side scrolling beat em up which does not entertain you in any way. The Lynx would have really benefitted with a decent beat em up in the vain of International Karate or Exploding Fist, but we got this inferior peice of poo.

This is of course my opinion and many will agree and many will disagree.

Next time I will review a game I like.

Ok, looks like it's time for me to post a negative review also...

Tournament Cyberball

One of my favorite games in the arcade in the very early nineties was Tournament Cyberball. Unfortunately, in porting this game to the Lynx, the developers seemed to have ported the wrong game. Arcade TC was a blast to play either against the computer or another human opponent. Lynx TC is a drag to play, regardless of who you're playing. Sloppy and unresponsive controls are mostly what keeps this title in my pile of shame. The graphics are mostly functional, staying pretty close to the arcade original, and the sound is nothing to write home about, just like almost every other Lynx game ever made. But I still can't get over the fact that the game plays like a stale turd floating in an unflushed toilet. There's a reason why this game goes for so cheap on eBay...stay away at all costs.

aaAGHH! negativity.

Time to say good stuff before everyone buys a gameboy instead.

Review title: Chip's Challenge

I only bought this of off ebay because it was cheap, so it was an easy one to strike off my list (even though I don't count myself a Lynx collector*). I knew nothing about what I was getting so had no expectations...if anything I thought it would be just sitting on the shelf after one play.

Graphics 6 : Fairly basic but that's exactly what you want for this type of game, for the best part everything is clear and simple to see. Everything moves smoothly as well. Nothing in this department to get excited about but nothing to complain about either.

Sound 7 : There are more tunes on this game than you realise but they sound kind of samey and just repeat so much that you get a miffed after a while. Thankyou Epyx for designing in a volume control. It's not that the sound is bad because it's quite good, it just goes on and on and on and on.

Gameplay 10 : This is the single most important factor in any review. This is a puzzle game and although nothing like Tetris it does share some similar ground, neither excell in graphics or sound, yet they play like a dream. I have put in more hours on this game than the rest of Lynx collection put together by far. You can play this for hours and not realise it.

Overall 10 : This is the best Lynx game in my opinion. It even has a passwored system so you can continue from where you last played to. If you struggle on a level after a while it will offer you to skip onto the next, leaving this game still playable for those who can't beat every level. Levels, did some one say levels? well yes and there are a lot, some 125 odd levels and they are all different and some are quite big. So this is one cheapo game that every Lynx owner should have in their collection. The best game I own on the Atari Lynx (and I own quite a few)

The above review is my opinion only and based on nobody else's opinion.

*not a Lynx collector - who am I kidding.

i've always been rather partial to the arcade conversions and several of

the original titles--road riot 4wd,rampage,xenophobe,xybots,hydra and a

few others on the conversion side.originals side--battlewheels and check--

ered flag and the gates of zendocon and others.there are many good ones

available for lynx.some real stinkers too.stay away from the stinkers.some

are not stinkers in comlynx mode though.need to try them both ways and

decide what is what for yourself folks.reviews are good for reference but

do not reflect ones own tastes in lynx games--i found this out in the lynx

reviews from the mags in the past.---the ultimate atari lynxer