IGNORED

What have you been using your Falcon030 for lately?

Well you can pretty much forget running any games unless they are GEM games.

But for most applications you are fine, and you can't beat the extra resolutions and colors.

I have my TT on a KVM switch box with my Windows XP and Linux boxes. The TT is plugged into two separate inputs on the KVM one connected to the standard TT VGA port, and the other to the Crazy Dots Card. The other two ports on the KVM go to the XP and Linux box. Makes it easy to select everything, and if something doesn't support the Crazy Dots card you just switch over to the standard TT VGA port.

OH yea... I remember that...

but I thought I remember reading it had a lot of compatibility issues yes?

WOW! that 030 steup sure looks nice Clint...whatever happened to those other Falcons that you said you may have access too a while back? No luck with them? I wish I could get a Falcon myslef, but it will probably be a while yet. i'm just now finally getting my 1040STf working properly, just installed a new drive in it, but I had to hack the case to make it fit, but at least I have a reliable drive now. I also just won an auction for a HD adapter, hopefully it works and I can find an actual HD to use it with...I have a few IDE drives, but this adapter may be for SCSI...won't know for sure until I get it and check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...egory=3537&rd=1

What type of game is that you have playing on your monitor (not superfly)? Nice monitor by the way, I have the same style 1224.

Well you can pretty much forget running any games unless they are GEM games.

Well I have been expiramenting with ST games on my TT030. I found some 1 files versions and when I switch to ST Low and disable caches I got them to work! Most are atari games like Joust, Starraiders, Moonpatrol, Missle Command, Millipede. Also I got Gold Runner, Mission Genocide, Battle Chess, Elite 2, Outrun, Turbo Outrun, Scooby Doo, and others I can't remember now! Oh all Sierra games work too. Its hit or miss on ST games.

I haven't been using a Falcon, but I have been using my STe with 4mb and playing the cool First Person Shooter, Substation. Substation is for the STe and Falcon only, so does that kinda count? :D I've also been using the cool grey STe/Falcon/Jaguar powerpad to play Substation, like the one in CT's pic.

I have a Mega STE and TT030/crazy dots II system right now.

Don't mean to hijack this Falcon030 thread, but I'm curious what software you're using to drive the Crazy Dots card. I've been using the Tseng chipset version of NVDI but it seems that NVDI's config gets corrupted every couple of weeks, which is frustrating. I'm not sure what the problem is with it, but I was hoping to find a good alternative. Any recommendations?

I'm using NVDI's ET4000 version. Haven't had any config corruption issues.

Don't mean to hijack this Falcon030 thread, but I'm curious what software you're using to drive the Crazy Dots card. I've been using the Tseng chipset version of NVDI but it seems that NVDI's config gets corrupted every couple of weeks, which is frustrating. I'm not sure what the problem is with it, but I was hoping to find a good alternative. Any recommendations?

WOW! that 030 steup sure looks nice Clint...whatever happened to those other Falcons that you said you may have access too a while back? No luck with them? I wish I could get a Falcon myslef, but it will probably be a while yet. i'm just now finally getting my 1040STf working properly, just installed a new drive in it, but I had to hack the case to make it fit, but at least I have a reliable drive now. I also just won an auction for a HD adapter, hopefully it works and I can find an actual HD to use it with...I have a few IDE drives, but this adapter may be for SCSI...won't know for sure until I get it and check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...egory=3537&rd=1

What type of game is that you have playing on your monitor (not superfly)? Nice monitor by the way, I have the same style 1224.

Thanks Gunstar, but hardly what I would like to have as a 'complete' Falcon setup :) (I think it would be nice to add the NE2000 network kit and a few other things, as well as increased HD)

Also, the guy about those Falcons has told me to contact him in Jan. so I will do so then and see where we go with it.

The game that is running on the screen then was Killing Impact (easily unoticed game I guess) and is Falcon only from my understanding.

It's a pretty decent game, if not a bit hard and repetitive at first.

It's Joust, only platformer/mario 1 style (that's a hard description to fit!:)

but it's beutiful on the Falcon and shows what kind of other great looking games could have been possible for the Falcon!

The programmer was cool enough to send me some package with disks

(I thnk I have a total of 3, 1 for myself, 1 for Sauron and if you'd like one when you get a Falcon Gunstar, just let me know :)

Super Fly is a good game too, I'm anxiously awaiting Resevoir Gods next game for the Falcon (as my understanding they are still working on something!)

As far as speed goes... I would say a low end 486.... but then again,

even the Falcon can do things most early Peniums couldn't do, imo!

If the main CPU would have been properly beefed up along with a NON-crippled video graphics processor, oh and then there's the support, then the Falcon probably would have really taken off. One someone learns the machine will no longer be supported for you literally kill it that instant, and Atari made that mistake too soon. (It's a shame really)

Anyways :) Carry on....

:P

I haven't been using a Falcon, but I have been using my STe with 4mb and playing the cool First Person Shooter, Substation.  Substation is for the STe and Falcon only, so does that kinda count? :D  I've also been using the cool grey STe/Falcon/Jaguar powerpad to play Substation, like the one in CT's pic.

Well, I guess I won't be playing Substation until I get a Falcon or even an STE/TT...how does it compare to games like Wolfenstein 3D or Doom? I've heard that there were some ports of DOOM, and possibly Heretic or other classic FPS's to the STE/TT/Falcon, anyone know if this is true and if they are any good? What other FPS games are out there for STE/Falcon or even the regualr old ST? I have one called 'Destruction Imminent' I've been playing on my ST, it's pretty good for a 16-bit FPS, sort of a poor man's Wolfenstein. Any other FPS type games for the ST?

Well, I guess I won't be playing Substation until I get a Falcon or even an STE/TT...how does it compare to games like Wolfenstein 3D or Doom?

Substation is great. It has nice sound effects which are very exact in space. And I am remembering that we played it via MIDI network. It was cool.!

First Person Shooters are one of my favorite genres and I’m maybe about a 1/3 of the way through Substation and I’m really enjoying it so far. Substation uses real time Gouraud shaded walls, so graphically, it kinda feels like a poor mans Jaguar game. If you have the gray powerpad, the control set-up is just like that of a Jaguar FPS, which is really cool. A port of this game to the Jaguar with enhanced graphics and multi-player support would be sweet.

What makes Substation really cool is that it has a good storyline. You’re a member of an elite US special forces team who has been loaned out to a large Japanese corporation by the government for an undisclosed amount of money. This Japanese company has lost contact with a huge experimental power plant deep beneath the surface of the ocean and your job is to go in and find out what went wrong. The story unfolds in-between levels and I feel a few plot twists in the works. Because of the cool storyline and pace of the game, Substation feels more like a an old school Bungie FPS such as the Marathon trilogy, than an early id FPS, such as Wolfenstein or Doom.

The graphics are good for it’s time and really good considering Substation is on a STe. There are the Gourard shaded walls and the bad guys look good and scale rather well and there are tables, computers, scuba tanks, plants, and boxes around the rooms. Not much color though, everything has a gray tone to it, with a few other colors here and there. The framerate also moves at a solid pace, considering the hardware. The music at the title screen is a good digitized tune and music in between levels is standard military drum rolls. There is no in-game music, but there are some cool creepy ambient sounds like in the Jaguar’s Alien vs Predator. The creak of the ocean preasure on the hull, drone of the generators and time constraints of each mission really add a sense of urgency and the creeps to Substation. You’ll have flashbacks of the ending of AVP, when you only have 30 seconds left to find the exit in a level and the red lights are flashing and emergency horn sounding off. Substation is good fun, woot!

So what exactly is keeping Substation from working on a regular ST? Does it use the Blitter extensively or something? What about St's that have been upgraded with a blitter and Rainbow TOS etc.? Has anyone tried to run it on a standard ST? or port a version for the standard ST?

So what exactly is keeping Substation from working on a regular ST? Does it use the Blitter extensively or something? What about St's that have been upgraded with a blitter and Rainbow TOS etc.? Has anyone tried to run it on a standard ST? or port a version for the standard ST?

Stereo sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Stereo sound.

So I'm guessing the Tweety Stereo Sound board wouldn't allow Substation to work then huh? That would be kinda stupid however,

if the only thing halting play on a standard ST is stereo sound.