IGNORED

Atari 2600 Menu System

vb_master

This question has been bogaling my mind for some time now... Has anyone ever released a 2600 menu ROM for selecting games, and if so, how much kilobytes would it take up?  

There are some PAL multicarts that have a menu (e.g. the Super Hit Pak is 16K and contains two 4K and three 2K games, which leaves 2K for the menu.

• 1 month later...

I traded the design to Sean, so that's up to him.

I had several people ask for the design before I traded it and I sent it to them, but nobody's ever built one. They're pretty complicated to get working. For the most part, if you've got enough expertise to build and debug mine, you shouldn't have much problem designing your own.

-paul

hmmmm...i was just discussing this same sort of thing with some others today :ponder:

would it not be possible to make a cart with a memory card that you could make a ROM folder and just dump all your ROMS in there...that way it would be easy for everyone to make their own multi cart or put everything on one cart?

As far as hardware that would be awesome and 100% legal since you could ship it with no ROMS on it....it wouldn't be expensive to make because you could just put the software up for download...people could buy the cart (with no memory card)...get a memory card, DL the software, dump the ROMS in the folder and be good to go.

Sounds cool, but could it be done?

Mock :ponder:

Yeah, it's very easy to build a switch-based multicart.  I use toggle switches instead of dip switches.

-paul

Any idea where I could find some mini toggle switch that looks like Atari switches? The regular switches are too big for a DIY multicart so a mini toggle switch is the only way to go.

8 mini toggle switches on the cart end wiould match nicely with 4 or 6 switch console. ;) Actually I'm not sure if I want 256 games as seeing most of them are crap. Maybe 32 of my favorite games and 5 toggle switches plus 1Mbit EPROM is cheaper than 8Mbit for 256 games. :D

• 1 year later...
I traded the design to Sean, so that's up to him.

I had several people ask for the design before I traded it and I sent it to them, but nobody's ever built one.  They're pretty complicated to get working.  For the most part, if you've got enough expertise to build and debug mine, you shouldn't have much problem designing your own.

-paul

480898[/snapback]

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ndpost&p=867049

Edited by krawhitham