IGNORED

Jag Encryption - Round 2

Curt Vendel

Okay...

I believe that these are THE disks, Glenn Bruner said to look for a disk marked with DAVE on it, well the jagcdenc2.zip came from a diskette marked CDAVEZ and the jagenc2.zip disk for Cart encryption was in the same envelope....

Okay guys, work them over, see if they are THE real deal.

Curt

jagenc2.zip

jagcdenc2.zip

It's an ST format program and will run under Steem. Hit 'Y' to get past the first prompt and '0' for the second...I can't read all the text because Steem crops it.

And I always get 'File Read Error' after it says 'Calculating MD5 checksum'. But it looks like it could be the real deal...the key file is more important than the program though...:?

Let's hope :)

Stone

Actually I think you are suppose to use the Jaguar to do the encryption. I believe you load the cdenc.db file in rdbjag or wdb and it reads the key off the floppy and writes out a hash table and report to the floppy disk.

The cdenc.db file actually loads the cdencr.db file for you.

Looks like the cdencr.db file loads the encryption code onto the Alpine memory space, and sets the program counter to 802000.

Then it goes back to the cdenc.db file and executes the code, reads the private key in off floppy, executes the code to do the hash table generation, dumps out the hash table and the cdreport to disk.

This looks pretty interesting....

Can't wait to get a chance to test it.

Well, it looks like jagenc2.zip is the real deal. :D I used it to "encrypt" the ROM image of Phase Zero and it passed the BIOS check with flying colors. Here are the steps I followed:

First, I stripped off the 8K of $FFs in front of the ROM image so that I was left with the raw binary image that loads/runs at $802000. Then, I put the PRIVATE.KEY on a floppy and ran the JAGENX.PRG (it's an ST program, and runs faster than the JAGEN.PRG version). It'll ask you if you want to use a precomputed key (which, if you haven't run JAGENX yet, won't exist) to which you'll say no. It will then ask for a floppy with PRIVATE.KEY on it. Once it reads the key, it will ask you which format to write out. Select option "1", 4 ROMs. Then it will ask you where the ROM image file is (you did put it on the ST hard disk, didn't you? :)). Once you tell it where the ROM image file is, it goes to work crunching the data. Once this is over, you should have some files called FOO.U1, FOO.U2, FOO.U3 and FOO.U4 (where FOO is the name of the ROM image file). These files contain the "encrypted" ROM image with .U4 holding the Most significant bytes, .U3 holding the Next Most significant bytes, .U2 holding the Next Least significant bytes, and .U1 holding the Least significant bytes.

Combining .U1-4 into a regular ROM dump is left to the reader as an exercise. ;)

One other thing: You'll want to run JAGENX.PRG in either medium or high resolution, otherwise you won't be able to see the whole text screen. 8)

I am pretty sure this is the real deal.

I took my Myst Demo CD which is obviously a signed bootable CD without a bypass cart. I ran the encryption generation utility on the CD which gave me a hashtable.

I ripped the hashtable from the Myst CD itself with isobuster. Byte swapped the file, and ran Atari's trkfix on it.

I did a byte by byte file comparison of the two files and the hash tables were indentical! :D

So I think it is a pretty safe bet to say this is the real deal!

Way to go Curt!!!!!!

I am pretty sure this is the real deal.

I took my Myst Demo CD which is obviously a signed bootable CD without a bypass cart.  I ran the encryption generation utility on the CD which gave me a hashtable.

I ripped the hashtable from the Myst CD itself with isobuster.  Byte swapped the file, and ran Atari's trkfix on it.  

I did a byte by byte file comparison of the two files and the hash tables were indentical!  :D  

So I think it is a pretty safe bet to say this is the real deal!

Way to go Curt!!!!!!

Awesome Belboz! This is fantastic news....

I just have to say, that I'm not surprised Curt made this incredible discovery. Not only does he always "find" the rarest of the rare items for all Atari systems, but he openly shares them with the community, making the hobby more enjoyable for us all!

Curt Vendel is MR. ATARI for all Atarians. Curt, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say "THANK YOU" for your continued contributions to the community. You RULE MAN!

Jason

Ok, my attempt didn't work. :?

I'm not 100% sure how I should pad the encryption file. My sample program is tiny (64K or so). The generated hash from the encryption software was small. I noticed after I burnt my disk and it didn't work that the commercial disks i've got have a much more zero padded track with the hash in it.

Its getting late so hopefully Glenn on the west coast has more luck than I did.

I still believe this is the real thing and the problem with it not booting was caused by me.

Combining .U1-4 into a regular ROM dump is left to the reader as an exercise. ;)

You can use Atari's code for this too ;) 'ROMSPLIT filename' is the cmdline :D

And yes, it worked for me too. Byebye universal header!

One other thing: You'll want to run JAGENX.PRG in either medium or high resolution, otherwise you won't be able to see the whole text screen. 8)

Thanks for that, some of us are unfamiliar with STs :)

Stone

Well, it looks like jagenc2.zip is the real deal. :D I used it to "encrypt" the ROM image of Phase Zero and it passed the BIOS check with flying colors. Here are the steps I followed:

First, I stripped off the 8K of $FFs in front of the ROM image so that I was left with the raw binary image that loads/runs at $802000. Then, I put the PRIVATE.KEY on a floppy and ran the JAGENX.PRG (it's an ST program, and runs faster than the JAGEN.PRG version). It'll ask you if you want to use a precomputed key (which, if you haven't run JAGENX yet, won't exist) to which you'll say no. It will then ask for a floppy with PRIVATE.KEY on it. Once it reads the key, it will ask you which format to write out. Select option "1", 4 ROMs. Then it will ask you where the ROM image file is (you did put it on the ST hard disk, didn't you? :)). Once you tell it where the ROM image file is, it goes to work crunching the data. Once this is over, you should have some files called FOO.U1, FOO.U2, FOO.U3 and FOO.U4 (where FOO is the name of the ROM image file). These files contain the "encrypted" ROM image with .U4 holding the Most significant bytes, .U3 holding the Next Most significant bytes, .U2 holding the Next Least significant bytes, and .U1 holding the Least significant bytes.

Shamus,

Good job on verifying the private.key for the cartridge!!

YES!!! As much as the Tramiels tried to kill and bury the Jag, the Jag community wins in the end!! LONG LIVE THE JAG!!!

Glenn

Ok guys!! I have successfully encrypted a CD that contains a small subset of my JagAds CD.

I made a CD with a boot track and two short movie tracks. In addition to this I had to add a dummy track to represent the track that the encryption data will occupy. This is so that the CD table of contents contains the proper placeholder data for this track.

I used the CDEN13 program and generated the HASHTAB.CD and CDREPORT.TXT files. Since my dummy track was around $100000 (in hex) bytes long, I padded the hashtab.cd file to this size and added the two zero bytes to the front of the file. I then burned a new CD with the encryption track entered in the place where I put the dummy track.

Then I ran the CDVER program and let it run. It fully verified the CD and it passed the check!!! I then switch my Jag setup to a production style system and booted the CD just fine!!! And lastly I ran the CDVERSLO program and did another verify with another program.

My next test plan is to take an existing encrypted Jaguar CD (Myst Demo) and rip the tracks and try and duplicate the process that I did above on that. And then compare the two separate HASHTAB.CD files to confirm. The trick to this is to hope that I get a perfect read of the CD to support this.

But I'm about 99.9% sure that Curt has found the key!!! Excellent work and the absolute perfect anniversary gift anyone could give! Curt, this tops the finding of the universal key!!

This is so great!!! Now we can encrypt CD's and carts and have a way to ensure what we produce fully working CD's and cartridges.

LONG LIVE THE JAG!!! 8)

Glenn

Hello,

I believe that these are THE disks, Glenn Bruner said to look for a disk marked with DAVE on it, well the jagcdenc2.zip came from a diskette marked CDAVEZ and the jagenc2.zip disk for Cart encryption was in the same envelope....

I'm dreaming, I know I am. You're just TOO cool Curt! ;-)

Any chance we'll ever hear the story of their discovery?

When my pulse returns to normal, I'll really take this in!

Cheers,

Richard / JustClaws.